• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Do people really like Discrafts slick plastic?

I don't like anything much that's clear/slick...but I prefer Discraft to most other companies in large part because their tooling makes for a great place to get a good grip. I pretty much always put my fingers on the tooling whether throwing forehand or backhand...provides that grip I like.

I'm with the OP - play a lot in cool weather, and can never get a good grip on Z or ESP. Big Z is better.

On the other hand Pro-D is probably one of the grippiest blends I've ever thrown.

I throw ESP and Z Buzzz discs. I've never really had problems but use my ESP when it's wet.

My hands sweat a lot. I like to use a chalk bag to help with my grip. My buddy I play with regularly is the opposite. His hands get dry and he's always licking/spitting on his hands to improve his grip.

Different plastics are going to work better/worse for different players.

Gateway has entered the chat

Yes Gateway has alot of diffrent base plastic blends. . .but the amout og premium blends that Discraft have is insane. . .just the Ledgestone blends can fill a page.

But, sure in the base plastics Gateway wins. But Premium, Discraft wins easy

I do like the FLX blends like ZFLX, CryZtal FLX, Ti FLX, ESP FLX and all the Sparkle FLX. .
The really old Z was fine but got that "fog" in the plastic like Prodigy 400 has.

I have a relatively old ESP buzzz, and the plastic is still kinda slippery when compared to say Star. But it got it's own feel, which i like. However the Z buzzz i recently bought is just way to slippery, not a fan. Had another Z that was more tacky, and i loved it - but lost it. This is kind of a deal breaker with Discraft when i also read that the new ESP plastic is Meh compared to the "old one.

If i lose this Buzzz im not buying anything else from Discraft.

I have no grip issues. If it is a deluge, I will go to a glove. I like the durability, superior molds and consistency offered by Discraft, that most other companies fail to deliver on.

I have no grip issues. If it is a deluge, I will go to a glove. I like the durability, superior molds and consistency offered by Discraft, that most other companies fail to deliver on.

Agree about grip, a little spit or a squeeze on the whale sac solves most issues.

The rest of that is nonsense.

If i lose this Buzzz im not buying anything else from Discraft.

I could never imagine pulling the Buzzz from my bag. I just played my first rounds in a year and the Buzzz kept a consistent flight and made my rounds much easier. ESP is my personal favorite but a Z is great when it isn't wet and/or in the woods.

Z feels like teflon coating to me, and ESP feels just marginally better. I've got dry hands and Norway isn't the warmest place around, that might have something to do with it.

I'm BAD, but I don't ever rock a single glove. Durability? for sure, from a small sample size. Superior molds? Nope. Consistency? Hell to the nope. They're no better or worse than any other company. This should be in the Bad/Homer disc reviews forum. :p

You throw Nebulas, Nebulae I mean. Probably XL's or Xpresses too. :\

ESP is perfectly fine, great even and just as good or better than the Star clones from the other manufacturers. The only problem is when you compare to classic Innova Star plastic - Star to me us just that good.

Z is great, slick, but so is all clear Champy plastic. Best durability.

Ti is kind of strange, not sure I could identify it as opposed to the rest of their premium in a blind test.

Big Z feels just like Z, kind of cool that they come out less stable typically.

Jawbreaker I have never been able to get behind, and miss X. It seems like the manufacturers have mostly gone the way of pushing their economy plastics to the bottom of the priority list for run time.

ESP is perfectly fine, great even and just as good or better than the Star clones from the other manufacturers. The only problem is when you compare to classic Innova Star plastic - Star to me us just that good.

Z is great, slick, but so is all clear Champy plastic. Best durability.

Ti is kind of strange, not sure I could identify it as opposed to the rest of their premium in a blind test.

Big Z feels just like Z, kind of cool that they come out less stable typically.

Jawbreaker I have never been able to get behind, and miss X. It seems like the manufacturers have mostly gone the way of pushing their economy plastics to the bottom of the priority list for run time.

Ti plastic sucks to me. I picked up the first disc or two and they just weren't doing it for me. Strange is a good word for that plastic lol. Never seen anyone throw it locally either.

When did Elite-X end? I remember buying an Elite-X Buzzz for my cousin as his first disc a couple years ago.

I can't really tell a difference in feel between Ti and some runs of ESP. But Ti mostly comes in camouflage colors so that's a big ol nope for me.