• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Does "seasoned" plastic make a difference

well I worked on seasoning some discs today. I think I hit every tree on one of the local courses. Hopefully they will work better tomorrow.

One key a lot of you are forgetting is that most of those Pro's are used to beat plastic at this point, as when they were coming up these candy/premi plastics weren't available. The second thing from a disc minamalist point which fits the this mindset is that you take one versatile disc, wear it in till and fill roles/lines that other premi plastic disc just don't do as well as that seasoned disc.

Take a Dx EX for example, one of the most versital disc. New hit holds lines fantastic, but after some wear holds a beautiful slight anhyzer longer without going completly over, than say a premium plastic Leopard. When thrown correctly, it utilizes the disc's natural characteristics more. From the minimalist standpoint also, the Ex can perform a great deal more shots/lines than a Premium Leopard, as it can never gain stability, which means you have to throw another mold. Which will beat slightly over time also. So why not just eliminate that and carry something more versatile that can fill more roles from the start than the two disc you use for two or maybe three shots?

Now for someone who doesn't play all the time, isn't Competing where not hitting that line almost to the degree you planned, carrying premium plastic that will easily last their dg career is by far the best way to go.

Last edited:
I guess it would have been easier if I just said that the slight degree changes of stability offered by wearing lower grade disc offers more versatility to an already versatile disc. As slight changes of stability in premium plastic wear wise takes months if not years, and mold wise is even harder to find. Because most companies offer many disc, but are several degrees of stability different from another mold, then you factor speed also. It's just much easier to get many consistent degree of stability within a disc that is already versatile, and performs consistently over a broader range than premium plastic. That is why people wear disc in.

Another thing occurred to me. If you lose your seasoned plastic, that you got to fly a certain way that you loved, how would you replace it?

unfortunately, it means going to a field, throwing a bunch of plastic until you find one that works well. so far i havent used the same model in a row after losing one. my minimalist disc progression thus far: cyclone > 10x gazelle (lost) > elite pro xl (lost) > dx valk (lost) > elite pro xl (lost) > dx leopard (lost) > xclone > dx raven (lost) > pulse.

it seems to me that by letting your discs get old and worn - changing the flight pattern - you are spending time getting to know how to throw a disc that can never be duplicated. If you lost your seasoned plastic wouldn't your game go in the toilet?

on your first/second rounds, yep. new disc teaches you new lines. i got my first ace a few weeks ago using a new pulse because i didnt want to take my old pulse on such a heavy tunnel course. it took me a few holes to get used to the more overstable disc, but i finally figured it out (and then forgot on the next hole that i needed to throw with more anhyzer).

to answer OP's question, i can make a seasoned disc fly further and with more accuracy than a new disc. theres a thread in equipment that talks about the secrets of a beat up disc: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=433

Last edited:
I've started carrying multiples of certain discs during rounds and throwing them in a revolving order to have them all beat at the same rate....sort of a pain for most discs except for putters.

I believe the "seasonedness" of plastic playes a huge roll. I don't necessarily rotate discs, but pack my bag with like molds of different weights and conditions...

172g Star Wraith, 7/10
175g Champ Wraith, 7/10
170g Champ Wraith 8/10
175g Star Wraith, 9/10

172g Star Sidewinder, 7/10
175g Star Sidewinder, 8/10
172g Star Sidewinder, 9.5/10

171g Star Katana, 7.5/10
172g Champ Katana, 9/10

...I guess this is my way of being somewhat prepared, and it also gives me the ability to be very precise. If/When I lose one, I can buy a replacement and not expect it to have to fill the role of what was lost and bump all of the rest up a spot. This all makes sense to me anyways.

I just practice with all my discs. Some are new and some are seasoned. I just try to practice enough to know them all well.

I find it much easier to hit turnovers and anhyzer shots with seasoned stable discs than understable discs. They are much less prone to flipping all the way over, and just seem much more consistent and less sensitive to wind.

Latest posts