• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dogs don't belong on disc golf courses

Kind of strange. I was out on the course the other day and two dogs just appeared out of nowhere and started following me around. I looked all around for an owner or a vehicle but there wasn't one in sight. The dogs were in too good of shape to be strays. One even had a collar and tag.

I was fine with them tussling around with each other and watching me, until one of them started to try to pick up my thrown disc.
:mad:

Actually, focusing on the weaker aspects of my game is probably the most important part of my development.

I love dogs, just not on the disc golf course. Only selfish people would bring their dogs out. Yes, courses are in public parks. So are baseball fields, tracks and walking paths. Would you be ok with kids playing catch on the disc golf course, it is a public park, afterall?

Kids were just out sledding down the hill that is part of the disc golf course up here. I didn't hear anyone complaining. Heck there were people having professional photos of their family taken right on the course and I wasn't complaining I just asked that they make sure to watch out in case of a bad throw.

As long as the dogs are trained and the owner keeps them in his/her vicinity and cleans up after them, I'm all for dogs on the course.

I was at Pier Park in Portland and saw a lab wearing saddle bags carrying the owner's discs. He was off leash but never strayed more than 5 feet from the owner and was just happy enjoying what he thought was just a walk in the park.

Dogs are awesome, its the owners who don't know how to take care of them that are the problem.

A guy in Dayton, I met him playing belmont, his dog will run after your disc, but never touch it. Seems like it would come in handy for bad throws that end up in the rough. I have no issues at all with people bringing their dogs to the course, and why does it bother you so much? Are you constantly being interrupted with dogs running wild? I have never had that problem.

As long as the dogs are trained and the owner keeps them in his/her vicinity and cleans up after them, I'm all for dogs on the course.

I was at Pier Park in Portland and saw a lab wearing saddle bags carrying the owner's discs. He was off leash but never strayed more than 5 feet from the owner and was just happy enjoying what he thought was just a walk in the park.

Dogs are awesome, its the owners who don't know how to take care of them that are the problem.

Perfect example and very well put. I have never encountered a dog that was the issue, but plenty of bad dog owners. I really just don't see the big deal.

As for the kids playing on the course, that is way more of an issue around here than any dog. This past summer I can't count the times this happened. At one course I played, there were some kids throwing a baseball at the basket. There was an entire family around, they just let them do it. Another time a guy and his son were flying their kite at Brent Hambrick Memorial course, they never did move, even after we politely asked. The dad just said "throw around us". I guess my long drawn out point is just that people are more of an issue than any dog I have ever encountered.

ban the dog haters from the course i say, unless its a tourney, you should just be having fun. if you want to blame your miscues on a dog then , you should go home, and cry about it ,and cuddle with your kitty

i take my little dogs out on almost every outing and they love it while its also good for them to get some exercise . they do not every really bark or behave badly the most that ever happens is they will walk our in front of someone about to throw. but i they always listen and move before they continue with the throw. personally i love dogs and think the world would be a sad place without mans best friend

i take my little dogs out on almost every outing and they love it while its also good for them to get some exercise . they do not every really bark or behave badly the most that ever happens is they will walk our in front of someone about to throw. but i they always listen and move before they continue with the throw. personally i love dogs and think the world would be a sad place without mans best friend

:clap:
Lola goes with me to golf about 90% of the time. i like to let her off the leash and shes super friendly...i just have to keep her on a short leash if its a course conducive to rollers. she FREAKS when she sees a roller. other than that, i pick up her pooh, keep her away from the target (most of the time) and she does great.

in fact most of the time she will cruise out to where the disc landed and sit right next to it. bird dog instinct i suppose.

who the heck hates dogs?!?:thmbdown:

i bet the same people hate babies and people who can putt. :p

cf9f8a8e.jpg

how could anyone see that pic and be anti disc-dog?!?

He probably does hate babies, he probably thinks you should leave them at home as well.

I wish I could bring my pooch to the course, only reason I don't is he freaks out when he sees other dogs. Not mean or anything, just whines and cries, he can barely control himself.

Would you bring your dog to a ball golf course?

Thats funny, lol. You could make another thread just about this

I bring my dog with me as often as possible. If its nice out, you better believe my dog is there. I keep plastic poop bags in my DG bag. She never leaves my side, never barks, leaves discs alone, and listens to everything I say.

But what if ur dong finds a disc in the woods with a name on it, should you call, even tho it's got dog bites in it?

If my dong starts biting discs I'll bet I could sell the vid.:)

As for dogs, I've had more problems with A-holes than dogs.

A roller is what caused my dog to pick up my disc. I threw it once it turned into a roller and he came over and smelled it(didn't know he was outside), then I figured hopefully he doesn't go for it again threw another roller and he thought it was his :\.

A roller is what caused my dog to pick up my disc. I threw it once it turned into a roller and he came over and smelled it(didn't know he was outside), then I figured hopefully he doesn't go for it again threw another roller and he thought it was his :\.

they say rub a little tapatio on your disc and they wont touch it again.

i havnt tried it though.

haha that would be a relief to realize its ONLY the tapatio and not your last business trip to tiajuana causing the burn...:D

I prefer dogs on the course to people drinking on the course, more dog walkers clean up after their dogs than drinkers who pick up their beer cans.

I agree, people should leave their dogs at home, except for me, my dog goes with me every time I play disc golf.

And as a matter of fact no I would not take my dog to play ball golf, that is why I play disc golf instead.

I do think that people need to pick up after their dog. Dog doo in the fairway really sucks and half of the time it is not a discers dog but just someone else who brings their dog to the park. Most disc golfers pick up after their dog because they don't want their disc to hit a pile of dung.

Also if there are other discers in the area you should keep your dog on a leash. Unless your dog is the 1 in 50 dogs that is actually trained and will heel. If so then hats off to you for training your dog.

Latest posts