Drive Leg Mechanics

I'm with ya, I shouldn't have used a 10 o'clock description. It doesn't even make sense to myself if I REALLY try to define the statement.

There is an emphasis that I am trying to describe, and if I could do it perfectly I would lol.
I think I know what you're trying to describe but I don't know how to describe it either lol.

I think I know what you're trying to describe but I don't know how to describe it either lol.
I take extended breaks from trying to talk about this stuff, then come back here and check things out. I have some new emphasis that is seriously tying things together that I want to describe ( no delusions that it is new info, just trying to help people have the epiphany).

And pretty much every time I am like...whelp...SW22 already laid this shit out in solid gold form.

I take extended breaks from trying to talk about this stuff, then come back here and check things out. I have some new emphasis that is seriously tying things together that I want to describe ( no delusions that it is new info, just trying to help people have the epiphany).

And pretty much every time I am like...whelp...SW22 already laid this shit out in solid gold form.
Yeah half the time I describe to him what I'm doing with my swing he's like wtf you talking about so I'm less than good at articulating what I'm doing.

Throwing really hard is way easier than describing how to throw really hard.

Hi DGCR, I'm back here for more Brychanusing.

One of the most storied threads on DGCR gets new energy. Thanks @419HondaGuy and @Nick481 came to mind.
I recently discovered great sports-biomechanics podcast called Just Fly Performance.
There are many episodes that correlate to disc golf biomechanics, I will link to the current one I listened to during my workout last evening.
It's with David Weck and Chris Chamberlin on Rotation, side-bending and tensional balance in high performance training program.

Adriann Barr episodes are great as well, and his work in rotation sports will apply to our world as well. There are about 4-5 episodes with him.
I have head the term " new form of athleticism" several times from a few guest now when talking about the fascia muscular system.

A New Paradigm in Biomechanics: Fascia, Rotation, and Waves - A New Paradigm in Biomechanics: Fascia, Rotation, and Waves
Also, worth taking a look at, you will notice the key similarities that we regularly explore and discuss here.

[h1][/h1]

I can't help but always think about javeliners when watching various X-steps out there, and wanted to highlight this part especially:

"This is why a long last step is crucial for jumping and throwing. It creates more momentum to load the entire elastic system. The lightning fast downward arm swing of the best jumpers utilizes downward momentum to contribute to loading the elastic reflex. The purpose of the "soft step" back foot contact in the javelin throw is to guide the momentum of the center of mass directly into the block leg. The farthest throws come from the best block leg loading."

Simpsons did it first - @sidewinder22 at ~9:38:

Coaching point: "just do it". Hop, run, power walk etc.

However, one "athletic" point and I think this is sometimes lost on less athletic folks and misinterpreted frequently.

I have an increasing personal interest in these topics and especially what they mean for later-in-life learners and those with body limitations. E.g., in my own form, it turns out an already short set of legs, and due to a childhood injury asymmetrically short left leg with resulting weird leverage and a related fundamental gait impairment on my rear side (violating the "Figure 8" theory of how the hips work) was part of what was making my X-step unusually hard to fix. As a reminder, even just a slightly "hoppier" X-step allows you to artificially "lengthen" the size of the move going into the x-step, which also helps you get that elastic/reactive loading like running or sprinting or jumping elsewhere. You also want to maintain the right balance and leverage that gets you onto and over that drive step as efficiently as possible with just enough leverage and time to complete your backswing.

This is also why I use the term "hidden hops" to describe the moves people use at the top level even when it's very horizontal - they're briefly relatively weightless in transition to the X-step like a low-to-the-ground and long hop. Skeptical? Think DG is magically different than other throwing sports? One way to know: try it and compare the differences. This is also why I suspect Drew Gibson talks about "Getting off the rear leg as fast as possible." He discovered javelining with a disc. Wiggins' move is one of the best we've seen.

The elite javeliner is an extreme that reveals the "correct" way to load and unload moving from the drive leg down the tee. If you're a dancer, you want to connect your waltz-like balance in athletic posture with a dynamic run/hop that gets you some of that action. Athletes may find this intuitive and do it on their own, but still have mechanics to work on. Non-athletes or those with limits may need to put some specific work into this.

Last edited:
Hi DGCR, I'm back here for more Brychanusing.

One of the most storied threads on DGCR gets new energy. Thanks @419HondaGuy and @Nick481 came to mind.

I can't help but always think about javeliners when watching various X-steps out there, and wanted to highlight this part especially:

"This is why a long last step is crucial for jumping and throwing. It creates more momentum to load the entire elastic system. The lightning fast downward arm swing of the best jumpers utilizes downward momentum to contribute to loading the elastic reflex. The purpose of the "soft step" back foot contact in the javelin throw is to guide the momentum of the center of mass directly into the block leg. The farthest throws come from the best block leg loading."

Simpsons did it first - @sidewinder22 at ~9:38:

Coaching point: "just do it". Hop, run, power walk etc.

However, one "athletic" point and I think this is sometimes lost on less athletic folks and misinterpreted frequently.

I have an increasing personal interest in these topics and especially what they mean for later-in-life learners and those with body limitations. E.g., in my own form, it turns out an already short set of legs, and due to a childhood injury asymmetrically short left leg with resulting weird leverage and a related fundamental gait impairment on my rear side (violating the "Figure 8" theory of how the hips work) was part of what was making my X-step unusually hard to fix. As a reminder, even just a slightly "hoppier" X-step allows you to artificially "lengthen" the size of the move going into the x-step, which also helps you get that elastic/reactive loading like running or sprinting or jumping elsewhere. You also want to maintain the right balance and leverage that gets you onto and over that drive step as efficiently as possible with just enough leverage and time to complete your backswing.

The elite javeliner is an extreme that reveals the "correct" way to load and unload moving from the drive leg down the tee. If you're a dancer, you want to connect your waltz-like balance in athletic posture with a dynamic run/hop that gets you some of that action. Athletes may find this intuitive and do it on their own, but still have mechanics to work on. Non-athletes or those with limits may need to but some specific work into this.

Brychanus - I think you would like and appreciate the " just fly performance" podcast. Def worth checking out, and I love that they have time stamps that reference the subject in the show details. I listen to it on Apple Podcast on my iPhone, but I know they are on other platforms as well like Spotify.

"This is why a long last step is crucial for jumping and throwing. It creates more momentum to load the entire elastic system. The
This is also why I use the term "hidden hops" to describe the moves people use at the top level even when it's very horizontal - they're briefly relatively weightless in transition to the X-step like a low-to-the-ground and long hop. Skeptical? Think DG is magically different than other

It seems like that might apply to something I do on #18 at my local course. It's not that long a hole, but it's uphill, and parts of it are steep.

When my (short) drive lands on a steep part, my drive leg dangles in the air. There is literally no way I can get any horizontal move from it. The only thing that seems to work is crouch a bit and spring straight up, and time the throw as I come down. I've been successful getting enough distance this way to throw OB with a putter, which is a big advance for me.