• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Driver classes, what do you throw?

Hey guys, wasn't sure if this is the right forum to post in. I had a question regarding classes of drivers and what you guys carry. When I say "classes" i mean fairway, control and distance. I currently carry molds of all 3 but am looking to shuffle my discs around and I was wondering if most people make the jump from a speed 7 or 8 right into their distance drivers. So do you carry A fairway, control and distance for the same shots? I'm guessing it depends on your distance but I'm interested to see the responses. For my main discs, I go from a speed 7
(explorer, 1.8 rim) to speed 9 (culverin, 2.0 rim) and speed 12-13ish (sheriff, 2.2 rim).

So do you throw fairway, control and distance discs for similar throws? Or do you throw two molds/speeds to cover similar driver lines with different distances?

I do too Z Stalker with a speed 7, then a Speed 8 DX Dragon but more for water and tailwind open bombers as it is very close to my Speed 9 Valkyrie both Star and Champion, then last Champion Destroyer as they are due to non popularity compared to the Star is definitely much more easy to find in the dome and weight one wants.

C-line FD, Star teebird3, star firebird, star & champ valk, 2 star wraiths & 2 400G D3s

Could leave home the champ valk and one of the wraiths but the rest are MUST HAVES.

Last edited:
I bag discs that I consider fairways (8/9), control drivers (11), and distance drivers (13). I used to switch my bag around a lot depending on the course I'd play. Now I essentially roll out the same bag every round, but the different speed classes get used significantly more or less depending on if it's a bomber course or wooded.

I also use my control drivers to adjust for the wind. If I'm facing a headwind on a hole that usually takes a full powered fairway driver, then discing up to a more stable fairway will help the disc fly on the correct line but will leave me short of the basket. So instead I'll often throw a faster disc to compensate for both stability and distance loss that comes from the headwind.

For the record, in these classes I'm currently bagging:
6 FW drivers: Felon (utility OS) / 2x Getaway (OS) / 2x Stag (stable/US) / Hatchet (utility US)
4 Control: PDx (utility OS) / 2x CD3 (stable) / Wave (US)
2 Distance: Raider (OS) / Shryke (US)

The Felon and PDx rarely get thrown, but they stay in there for super windy days.

8/9 speed fairways.
Xpress, Undertaker. Vulture and Predator

12 speed Drivers
Thrasher and two Forces

And 5 speed mids. . . but i DO throw more putter moulds

I carry speeds 5, 7, 9, 11, & 12. Though I honestly treat the 7 & 9 as the same category:

US to OS
Valkyrie, Leo3, CD2, Teebird, Thunderbird, Firebird

The leo3 is a bit of an outlier though, as I also sometimes use that as a faster midrange if dealing with a low ceiling. Sometimes the thunderbird gets replaced with a luster Teebird.

Same with my drivers, but 11 and 12 are treated the same:

Renegade, echostar wraith, echostar destroyer, beat champ destroyer, seasoned star destroyer, new star destroyer

Mine are all speed 9. Blade, Ninja, Assassin x 2, will probably take out an Assassin if Gateway runs some Spears lighter than max weight.

I bag several different molds of drivers, mainly because I have a really strong forehand but haven't got my backhand up there yet. So a lot of my faster drivers are for flicks and pretty much speed 9 and below is for backhand though I can also flick some of my slower discs fairly well.