• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Driver similar to roc

Like many said work with the Rocs until at least hitting 250 with consistency. Then try out a Gazelle, Stalker and Teebird (In that order too). The Gazelle is slower and easy to work, new it will fly like a Roc. The Stalker flies similar to a Roc, but is harder to work than a Gazelle and a touch faster. The TB is similar to a new KC Pro Roc in that it has a strong fade, but it's straight early in the flight. The TB takes the most power to properly utilize out of the 3 drivers I mentioned.

DX Gazelle's are $$$$$!!!!

Like Mike C. said, stay with the Roc for now and when you start to get at least 250' with it, bust that nice new DX Gazelle you just got out :)

Gazelle or a cyclone. Both are amazing discs, but the current cyclones don't fly like they are supposed to so I would get some dx gazelles.

keep with the roc...
it's money!

one suggestion... be wary of the plastic!
buy a star or one specifically used for driving.
I am assuming that you are using a DX roc... as it wears in, the instability may be slightly counter productive to your distance as you will always (seemingly) be behind the curve as the disc will beat in quickly (get flippy); if you use it a lot, you will find yourself always trying to "figure out" (adjust throwing technique) 1 throw late why it's not like the last time you threw it.

My roc is gold. but i dont throw it as a driver very often. When i do, i have to be very careful to put a lot of spin on it, and throw it perfectly (no OAT) to make sure that i dont flip it over. (it's seasoned quite nicely). My max with a Roc is 250-275 (for me this is my Tbird/Eagle/TL money shot Range)... but i dont try to max it out... i prefer a very controlled 225-250 instead.

(other options.... possibly a buzzz or cro)

Last edited:
The Teebird and the Stalker are going to be the closest things hands down. I prefered the TL personally but then again I am only a Roc thrower when I am throwing over a short water hole.

Like others, I recommend the Gazelle or Cyclone. Specifically, I prefer the Gazelle.

one suggestion... be wary of the plastic!
buy a star or one specifically used for driving.
I am assuming that you are using a DX roc... as it wears in, the instability may be slightly counter productive to your distance as you will always (seemingly) be behind the curve as the disc will beat in quickly (get flippy); if you use it a lot, you will find yourself always trying to "figure out" (adjust throwing technique) 1 throw late why it's not like the last time you threw it.
I completely disagree with this advice. Rocs will get longer with less fade as they beat up and while they will get less high speed stable, they will also get easier to control. Rocs beat in slow enough in DX plastic that you won't have to worry about them changing rapidly enough to require you to figure them out again. It's more like you'll eventually notice that your Roc isn't fading quite as hard or it might turn a couple feet more than you remember or go a few feet longer but it will still fly essentially the same.

I did some distance throwing the other day and am only putting my leopard, gazelle and eagle out about 200-225 feet. I'd guess I put my Roc out to around 175-200 feet, but it seems to be with much less effort.
What's the Gazelle not doing for you?

I'll agree that you aren't getting the discs up to speed so you'll have a real hard time getting any driver to fly like your Rocs do for you. They'll need like 300' of power to do that.

If you want a new disc to try, the Polaris LS or DX Cheetah will make excellent drivers for you.

169g Champion TeeBird = Ultra long 175g KC Pro Roc. Those are two of the best discs ever made.