• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] 'Dumpy' Approach Disc?

Funny you should mention the Envy. I have been reading many reviews on it and several people mention what a great approach disc this is. I even just put a reply in an Envy thread asking if anyone uses it as just an approach disc. The Plasma plastic looks as though it would be right up my alley.

The way it looks it reminds me of the Nova...I have a Nova but it never felt very good in my hand (a little too tall).

Thanks for all the recommendations!

TripleB

Envy and Nova are nothing alike.
Yes, an Envy can be an approach disc.

What putters are you bagging currently?

Funny you should mention the Envy. I have been reading many reviews on it and several people mention what a great approach disc this is. I even just put a reply in an Envy thread asking if anyone uses it as just an approach disc. The Plasma plastic looks as though it would be right up my alley.

The way it looks it reminds me of the Nova...I have a Nova but it never felt very good in my hand (a little too tall).

TripleB

Plasma feels great, a lil more flex than any other MVP plastic but its not like Stupid soft/g-star its good. Plasma Envy isn't as OS, so its pretty straight.

A Proxy is a sweet disc as well - I almost like it more than the Envy - its basically the same thing but less fade (really straight but Plasma Proxy turns over a little where Neutron is stable with minimal fade - great discs)

And the SERPENT is basically a NOVA in flight but WITHOUT the glide. Feels way better in the hand too and I'm also using it for my primary putter at the moment - feels great, mild thumb-groove no bead- I was switching between NOVA's and SERPENTS as they are both speed 2 - both straight flying - but the SERPENT has little glide where the NOVA has a LOT of glide - the SERPENT just sits down and is trustier in wind. My go-to approaches lately have been the Serpent, Iridium (which is a bit more OS than the Serpent) Proxy and Envy ---or Atoms ---- Atoms are similar to Proxy and Envy, but I feel the atom is in between the stability of Proxy/envy - margin is so small though they are all so close - Atom is a lil faster/thinner but again but SO little - Atoms in Electron wear in and become straight floaty discs with mild turn (when significantly beat more turn) - Proton plastic Atom is STABLE as can be - straight even with power even when worn in, it flies close to a Z Buzzz but just more putter shaped/feel - I really love all these approach discs (obviously) So I like to recommend them

Glad to hear that, especially about the gaining glide as time goes on oart. I've got one on the way as per your recommendation sir, also a lot of others on the way. Maybe if it does not end up being my go to cycler then I can keep it as a beefy utility compliment to whatever I choose. Maybe it ends up being my new fave? Time will tell. Oh, and I like beaded a lot

I haven't tried a DX Rhyno, but I have a Champ Rhyno, and it is a very good approach disc. After all this talk about the Rhyno on this thread, I'll have to put it in the bag and take it to the course for a round or two (or all week...).

Does Prodigy make a rubbery plastic yet? If so, an A2 in that would be good.

I tried one after the "A2 vs Harp vs Zone" thread, and while a Soft-X Zone will probably fill this dumpy-shots-that-stick slot better, if it had to be Prodigy, I could settle with an A2.

TripleB

Plasma feels great, a lil more flex than any other MVP plastic but its not like Stupid soft/g-star its good. Plasma Envy isn't as OS, so its pretty straight.

A Proxy is a sweet disc as well - I almost like it more than the Envy - its basically the same thing but less fade (really straight but Plasma Proxy turns over a little where Neutron is stable with minimal fade - great discs)

And the SERPENT is basically a NOVA in flight but WITHOUT the glide. Feels way better in the hand too and I'm also using it for my primary putter at the moment - feels great, mild thumb-groove no bead- I was switching between NOVA's and SERPENTS as they are both speed 2 - both straight flying - but the SERPENT has little glide where the NOVA has a LOT of glide - the SERPENT just sits down and is trustier in wind. My go-to approaches lately have been the Serpent, Iridium (which is a bit more OS than the Serpent) Proxy and Envy ---or Atoms ---- Atoms are similar to Proxy and Envy, but I feel the atom is in between the stability of Proxy/envy - margin is so small though they are all so close - Atom is a lil faster/thinner but again but SO little - Atoms in Electron wear in and become straight floaty discs with mild turn (when significantly beat more turn) - Proton plastic Atom is STABLE as can be - straight even with power even when worn in, it flies close to a Z Buzzz but just more putter shaped/feel - I really love all these approach discs (obviously) So I like to recommend them

Well, Triple B, I really didn't think you needed another disc but you should probably try an Envy.

Regarding your situation, don't you have a Pure? That's probably what I would use if running it (or whatever neutral putter you can range) but most of the time I'd approach on hyzer with a slightlyOS-OS putter (You have a slammer? Zone/Harp) like others above said. FWIW, Proxy above is similar to a Pure IMO. I prefer Proxy but Pure is a good disc too. The Envy feels like the Proxy just slightly more OS.

Plenty of people approach with Envy. It's also a really fun driver.

Z-flx zone is probably the most overstable zone. Champ rhynos are great too, and a little slower than a zone, and no skip.

"yeah, just keep throwing that Truth on 70' ups - it's the archer, not the arrow."

:confused:

i could use a truth on 70 ups

i could also use a driver or a putter

its how you throw it not the disc selection its self at a shorter range most discs fly more similarly you start to notice more differences as you hit farther distances

im not sure how this is confusing for you

Does Prodigy make a rubbery plastic yet? If so, an A2 in that would be good.

I tried one after the "A2 vs Harp vs Zone" thread, and while a Soft-X Zone will probably fill this dumpy-shots-that-stick slot better, if it had to be Prodigy, I could settle with an A2.

The a2 in 300 plastic is pretty soft. It dosen't skip much and is the softest of the Prodigy plastic. The SE ones that they came out with last year in black, white and grey were really soft.

What putters are you bagging currently?

Warlock for putting only. Mirage for right flying (I'm a rhbh player only) approaches. Had Pure in bag but have been throwing it terribly lately.

Regarding your situation, don't you have a Pure?

Plenty of people approach with Envy. It's also a really fun driver.

I do, several of them. After my hole in one with it last year (beginner's luck) I never thought I'd pull it from the bag but my throws with it over the last 2 or 3 months have been horrible...distance control way off, release point off, so now no confidence at all with it!

Thanks for the input on the Evny.

Soft Judges also work pretty well for sticking to the ground and being fairly straight for shorter shots. They can also crush if you give them some height and room to work.

Went to the course today to practice approach shots of all distances with the following putters: Aviar Classic, Aviar P&A, Deputy, Judge, Nova, Psycho, Ringer, and Warlock. Threw 13 times with every disc from lengths ranging from around 40 feet up to 150 feet.

After distances and confidence in each was tallied the finishing order of success, from worst to first was: Nova, Ringer, Warlock, Psycho, Aviar Classic, Aviar P&A, Deputy, and #1 was the Judge. Both the Deputy and Judge werer the classic blend plastic - just love that plastic...sort of stiff but soft!

TripleB

Warlock for putting only. Mirage for right flying (I'm a rhbh player only) approaches. Had Pure in bag but have been throwing it terribly lately.
I do, several of them. After my hole in one with it last year (beginner's luck) I never thought I'd pull it from the bag but my throws with it over the last 2 or 3 months have been horrible...distance control way off, release point off, so now no confidence at all with it
Went to the course today to practice approach shots of all distances with the following putters: Aviar Classic, Aviar P&A, Deputy, Judge, Nova, Psycho, Ringer, and Warlock. Threw 13 times with every disc from lengths ranging from around 40 feet up to 150 feet.

After distances and confidence in each was tallied the finishing order of success, from worst to first was: Nova, Ringer, Warlock, Psycho, Aviar Classic, Aviar P&A, Deputy, and #1 was the Judge. Both the Deputy and Judge werer the classic blend plastic - just love that plastic...sort of stiff but soft!

TripleB

Work with that Nova, and you'll find that your Pure will do better for you and you'll be better with all your putters. The Nova is really good for form work. I've been throwing it on the range to warm up every weekend, and a lot of little issues in my form went away, including some wrist roll and release point foibles.

But don't take my word for it; some guy named Paul McBeth says the Nova is great for form work. He's pretty good, from what I hear tell. :D

I do, several of them. After my hole in one with it last year (beginner's luck) I never thought I'd pull it from the bag but my throws with it over the last 2 or 3 months have been horrible...distance control way off, release point off, so now no confidence at all with it!

Thanks for the input on the Evny.

TripleB

Proxy is more beginner friendly fwiw. More forgiving in it's HSS. When I switched to Proxy, as newer player, I wasn't always consistent with Pure either and it was a nice change. Now they seem similar to me (My pure less glide) but Proxy is still top drawer.

Proxy is more beginner friendly fwiw. More forgiving in it's HSS. When I switched to Proxy, as newer player, I wasn't always consistent with Pure either and it was a nice change. Now they seem similar to me (My pure less glide) but Proxy is still top drawer.

PROXY > PURE - no bias - I owned 3 proxy's and 3 pures with different plastics all in the 170's - The Proxy just IS BETTER. I know a lot of pure throwers out there, that's fine, whatever works for you, but ive found the proxy to feel better, fly straighter, all around outperform the Pure.

The ONE thing the pure wins at though is baseline plastic. Trilogy baseline is great. probably my favorite and I don't think proxy comes in electron....even if it did the mold would probably be way understable and warp quickly so. No Knock to the Pure but for a straight throwing putter the Proxy is unbeatable

...But don't take my word for it; some guy named Paul McBeth says the Nova is great for form work...

Exactly :clap:

From Innova's page quoting JK:

"No offense to Paul McBeth but the more I throw this disc the less I am impressed with the ridiculous shots he has thrown with the Nova. It is without a doubt THE straightest flying putter I have ever thrown."

I throw Anode/Alias vs. Nova/Altas rounds often and love both Innova molds. If I carried a larger bag, each would have a permanent home.

PROXY > PURE - no bias - I owned 3 proxy's and 3 pures with different plastics all in the 170's - The Proxy just IS BETTER. I know a lot of pure throwers out there, that's fine, whatever works for you, but ive found the proxy to feel better, fly straighter, all around outperform the Pure.

The ONE thing the pure wins at though is baseline plastic. Trilogy baseline is great. probably my favorite and I don't think proxy comes in electron....even if it did the mold would probably be way understable and warp quickly so. No Knock to the Pure but for a straight throwing putter the Proxy is unbeatable

I agree completely, just didn't want to upset any Pure lovers. But fine... Proxy is, in fact, better all around (ducks). It's just so easy to throw dead straight. It is the best.

TripleB
Not surprised by this at all. Judge is a great upshot and driving putter. And the premium plastic ones have just enough additional stability to be worth putting one of those in the bag too.

Z-flx zone is probably the most overstable zone. Champ rhynos are great too, and a little slower than a zone, and no skip.
Not sure I agree with that first part, but Rhyno is a really good pairing with Zones. I know I do in my bag.

i could use a truth on 70 ups

i could also use a driver or a putter

its how you throw it not the disc selection its self at a shorter range most discs fly more similarly you start to notice more differences as you hit farther distances

im not sure how this is confusing for you

Heck why not putt with the truth too