• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] DX Ape

Monkeypaws

* Ace Member *
Premium Member
Having thrown a Champ Ape (meathook), and a Blizzard Ape(nicely stable). I threw my new DX Ape today for the first time - 171 grams, and wow, it turned and burned worse than a new Z Xpress I was throwing alonside it for testing purposes. I ended up hit some bleachers and got a huge gash on the rim.

I was quite surprised by the performance of this disc, in a bad way.

I dug into my local PIASs Innova shipment yeaterday and got a Star Ape I liked the look of( and a purple metal flake Roc3) and I had half off a third so I threw in a a DX Ape with a cool copper stamp, I like the feel but even after just a few tosses I do think it is vastly more understable.

They remind me of some of the second run Apes that had a droopy wing and flew like less glidy Tern. Which isn't a terrible disc but it's certainly no Ape.

Plastic was okay for me as far as a DX driver goes. Don't expect a super long lifespans from that type of disc but I was hoping it would be more HSS.

Well, I was hoping for a lifespan longer than 2 throws.

I just didn't have the beef I was hoping for, and hoping to beat in. I think/hope it was a freak.

Bleachers can be a punk for seasoning discs. I've had them chunk Champ and Z plastic much less DX.

Really thinking the Star might wear into a bomber though.

That is a true statement^ the Champ Ape in the early and recent runs are a beautiful thing(the second run I think was pretty rough).

The good ones that I have are nearly 5 years old and still beautifully beefy.

Teebirds, Thunderbirds, and Firebirds are just fine in DX.

Why not an Ape?

I was playing with a guy this weekend that had a DX Ape. He tried to throw a forehand with it and it almost did a barrel roll...

I was playing with a guy this weekend that had a DX Ape. He tried to throw a forehand with it and it almost did a barrel roll...

And to think - Innova released production runs of DX Katanas too.

Maybe those turned out overstable.

Having thrown a Champ Ape (meathook), and a Blizzard Ape(nicely stable). I threw my new DX Ape today for the first time - 171 grams, and wow, it turned and burned worse than a new Z Xpress I was throwing alonside it for testing purposes. I ended up hit some bleachers and got a huge gash on the rim.

I was quite surprised by the performance of this disc, in a bad way.
Isn't this par for the course in regards to DX plastic and high speed drivers?

Isn't this par for the course in regards to DX plastic and high speed drivers?

Id be cautious in general re:plastic type impacting stability off the shelf. Ive thrown many baseline molds which fly as OS if not more so vs premium counterparts. Its ALL about mold shape vs plastic. Innova just has terrible QC on high speed baseline drivers as well as a lot of DX in general.

Some molds designed for DX baseline fly better in baseline vs champ or star offshoots and vise versa. I doubt innova has multiple molds for discs like the Ape where thats probably the caae with teebirds etc...

Plh/dome > any plastic type

Plastic grade definitely plays a factor, though. Throw a Pro D Buzzz next to a Z Buzzz and see. As for you finding baselines that fly as overstable/more overstable than their premium counterparts, I raise the BS flag hahahaha. If that really were the case, I bet the baseline molds were in a much heavier weight than the premiums.

Last edited:
Plastic grade definitely plays a factor, though. Throw a Pro D Buzzz next to a Z Buzzz and see. As for you finding baselines that fly as overstable/more overstable than their premium counterparts, I raise the BS flag hahahaha. If that really were the case, I bet the baseline molds were in a much heavier weight than the premiums.

The DX Thunderbird is plenty overstable, I'm guessing they start out more OS than their premium counterparts

Lol whatever... You talking from experience or just trying to call BS? Remember champion plastic hasnt been around forever......

Lol whatever... You talking from experience or just trying to call BS? Remember champion plastic hasnt been around forever......

Experience. Even early on, I could render a baseline disc useless in about a month. Started playing in 2002, both Champion and Elite Z were easy to find back then. Never used baseline for anything besides putters and mids haha. Back on topic. Throw a 175 DX Gazelle next to a 175 Champion Gazelle. Perhaps a 175 DX Wraith alongside a 175 Champion Wraith. Maybe even a 175 DX TeeBird against a 175 Champion TeeBird. Let me know which are beefier.

Latest posts