• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2023 bag workings

VictorB

* Ace Member *
Vitals:
Years playing/experience: on and off for 18ish years (mainly on)
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: right-handed
Throwing Style: RHBH, RHFH
Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver: Pure: 225/275; Rift: 260/325; Grackle: 300/350; Hurricane 350/400

Optional:
Sex: M
Injuries/handicaps?: the worst left knee ever (3 ACL tears, significant arthritis/scar tissue, 4 surgeries and counting)

Other sport proficiencies?: I am not what I'd consider a proficient athlete at this age but I do play hockey regularly

What do you like/dislike about your current bag?: Fairly standard bag with 3 primary driver molds, 2 primary mids, and 2 primary putters. There are a couple of fringe utility discs I like to carry but don't see many shots. Set up pretty well to take advantage of my forehand game without having to add additional molds that I wouldn't throw backhand.

Specific areas of desired feedback: None in particular.

Distance
There is a bit of competition here this year, for the first time in several seasons. Hurricanes have been my meat/potatoes since roughly late 2018, but I feel the need to bump down to 11 speed and finally got some Graces to try out. Next to the Graces I'll be trying out a MG Thrasher for the understable compliment.

174 FR Hypercane, mild wear: it's the beef, when my beefiest hurricanes or raptors can't manage the shot. Use in heavy, unfavorable winds, or for huge ground play skips.
174 2019 Shasta PL FLX Hurricane, mild wear: my most overstable hurricane, and what I typically go to for big hyzers or moderate wind shots.
172 SP Hurricane, worn: main distance driver. it has held it's stability really well for a few years, and knowing discraft plastic should be fine for a few more.
167 2019 Shasta PL FLX Hurricane, worn: flippy boy. will hyzer flip up beautifully, forehand distance driver, big tailwinds or shots that need to track to the right.

Fairway
Some competition here as well. Similar to distance drivers, it's starting to make sense to move down a notch in speed, so the Grackle will get a look as my main stable fairway next to Raptors. The understable slot will either be Mavericks (occupied this slot the last couple of years), Craves, or Jackalopes. I'll know more about that when I get to throw more in the field this month as the snow melts (again) and my weekends are freed up with no youth hockey.

175 FR Raptor, worn: in and out of the bag for a couple seasons, it's still quite overstable. Primary forehand control driver
174 2020 Uli Swirl Z Raptor, newish: a slightly straighter raptor even when fresh. Primary backhand use, for straight to fade type shots.
168 Sublime Grackle, new: flatter, and decently overstable for being lighter. sneaky long for a 7 speed.
174 Sublime Grackle, new: some dome, and relatively straighter than the flatter 168. Hopefully will wear in to get more turn.
174 Lucid Maverick, worn: quite versatile and workable. great hyzer flip disc in the woods, and easily controlled on long turning shots that need to stay right.
174 Apex Freetail, newish: primarily a backhand roller disc, but starting to dial it in a bit for air shots. will turnover from a hyzer flip and hold, even with a bit less power or more height.

Midrange
This is the most stable category in my bag. I'm really happy with my lineup here and don't really see changing it at all this season.

174 FR SP Quake, mild wear: quite flat and quite overstable, but not unusably so - use this when I need a hard flat to fade forehand, where a driver would be too skippy.
174 SP Quake, newish: Has a little dome, and more versatile for FH and BH use. doesn't fade as hard, and will hold an anhyzer longer than the FR.
176 FR Catrina SP Rift, newish: flatter and a bit more HSS, doesn't get thrown a lot but it's a nice in between for when I can't decide if the SP Quake or other FR Rift is the right choice. Fights the wind surprisingly well without being too overstable
176 FR Catrina SP Rift, worn: Threw this disc a lot last season. It's been the main reason comets aren't necessarily my go-to anymore. Has very workable stability for all types of lines, and the glide is excellent. I can easily push this out to 325'
177 MJ Icon Swirl ESP Comet, new: most recent addition to my comet stash. a bit domey which I don't prefer, but I still love comets for those 'long range putter' drives with less effort.
176 2018 MJ Swirl Comet, worn: an absolute staple in my bag. normal comet shoulder with a less domey flight plate. stable but not overstable - I can trust this disc on any shot I want to use with it as long as it's not too windy.

Putt/Approach
This category feels pretty stable as well, but I do like experimenting with it also (I think I could putt 75% c1x with anything that was handed to me). I'll be trying out the Bullet this spring for putting and throwing, but the Pure is fairly safe as of now.

174 SP Breaker, worn: still nice and stable even after a few years in the bag. this gets the vast majority of hyzer approaches, and I throw a ton of forehand approaches with this disc.
174 KT Gold-X Pure, newish: just an absolute laser beam from the tee. need to go straight? throw this. also sneaky long for a putter.
2x 174 Retro Burst Pure, 1 new 1 worn: new for shorter putts, worn for long spinny putts and soft approaches (where I can't get a forehand to work)

Really like your mid lineup! I have a PL Quake that's lost some of its HSS and isn't quite as trusty into a headwind as she used to be. How do you find the newer SL does in a headwind?

Really like your mid lineup! I have a PL Quake that's lost some of its HSS and isn't quite as trusty into a headwind as she used to be. How do you find the newer SL does in a headwind?

so I made a mistake and the first flight is a PL. I honestly haven't bought a new quake in at least 2 years, the run that I got for the SP I use has just a little shoulder on it so it's a bit straighter and doesn't fight the wind quite as well as the very flat FF PL.

I really like the Crave, the proton I have is pretty stable and flips up nicely. Could be the 'point and shoot' driver. It would have to pair with something like a Jackalope so I could feel like there's a faster option to work more lines. The OLF also has been in the mix, along with the Undertaker (both of those have been my primary control drivers the last several years)

Trying to figure out if I want a faster straight stable driver with a slower more workable driver (ie Undertaker/OLF + Maverick or FD), or a slower straight stable driver with a faster workable driver (ie Jackalope or Sidewinder + Crave or Grackle)

It's weird having to relearn my preferences every spring, now that I only get 4-8 rounds in over the winter.

I'm going to stick with the Pure this season. Familiarity, local availability, personal stock, and just a very slight preference to the added glide (judging by my practice with it and the bullet) give it a clear - albeit slim - advantage for preference.

Harder to get to the field to compare crave/maverick/grackle since it just snowed like 10" last weekend. Hopefully will all be melted by this weekend so I can get to work and get some throwing in.

Trying to figure out if I want a faster straight stable driver with a slower more workable driver (ie Undertaker/OLF + Maverick or FD), or a slower straight stable driver with a faster workable driver (ie Jackalope or Sidewinder + Crave or Grackle).

I've had this debate many times. Not quite sure what your am speed is, but I ended up with slower workable + slower straight stable. My leo3's and rivals go almost the same distance as my undertaker/thunderbirds, but I had better control. Of the two options you listed I preferred faster straight stable with the slower workable driver.

I also bag a roadrunner for rollers and real flippy shots, and firebirds for context.

I don't know what the Grace is trying to be but I found it to be a pretty awful and super Flippy disc compared to the flight numbers. 2 copies at 175g and neither had any angle integrity. In a little wind, they would roll over like a sidewinder. I'm pretty sure my eternal freetail is nearly as stable. Needless to say, it's not sticking in my bag since I don't think it's a disc I can trust as a workhorse. I will audition Surges again, but almost definitely sticking with hurricanes.

The grackle is too overstable for what I want to use it for. A proton crave or maverick will be my "tweener" driver that slots in theineup between mids and undertakers.

Not sure the Rift will stay in the bag either, since it seems to overlap a lot with fresh comets. Likely back to a wasp for the straight to fade midrange.

Auditioned surges in the bag in the last week or so. They're just lacking something (new esp and big z). I like the consistent flight but they just don't have any glide or carry without forcing a turn for me. Loved it in the high wind (parking 350'-370' holes into a very unfavorable wind) but it's not good enough just for that reason to be a workhorse.

As of now, Hurricanes are just back in the bag.

Venoms are going to audition in the hypercane slot - just looking for something a bit more appropriate for my armspeed while still being a really consistent flyer both FH and BH in heavy wind.

Rifts and pures are about pushing comets out of the heavy use rotation, honestly. I just don't throw comets as often these days - on the courses that I play they are more of a utility disc.

The quakes/rifts/Comets seem like a great mid line up, pretty similar to mine really just different molds obviously. You are also correct the 2018 MJs are a great middle stability comet. I wish I had more than one. Aced it yesterday but it, like any other ace discs, will be staying in the bag.

Do you get a natural turn easier out of the hurricane than the surge? I haven't messed with surges in years, so different runs and more power than I have now but I definitely remember surges being easier to turn than a fresh hurricane, including but fairly close to my shastacanes.

Do you get a natural turn easier out of the hurricane than the surge? I haven't messed with surges in years, so different runs and more power than I have now but I definitely remember surges being easier to turn than a fresh hurricane, including but fairly close to my shastacanes.

Depends on the PLH. Not a great answer, I know. But for stock SP Hurricanes with a slight dome, they definitely have more natural turn than the newer plastic surges. I was pretty disappointed in the flight of the tour series swirl ESP and the bigZ. Far too overstable for what I'd want a surge to be. I always remembered them being easier to turn than wraiths.

I think I have most of the lineup locked in at this point. Venom has taken over for the hypercane, which the FF version was way too much for me ever to throw if it wasn't windy or I didn't need a 30' skip. Hurricane and Undertaker have held their slots in the bag. Raptors have overtaken predators, again, since they are more versatile for me FH and BH and is more of a natural stability progression to OS from an undertaker...the freetail is a very good faster turning driver and roller, something that has been missing from my lineup for a few seasons.

Still mulling over maverick vs crave - I lean to the maverick because I have a couple of beat up versions that are great at hyzer flips, where the craves are still new and don't flip up/over as easy (stock proton and SH neutron)

No real changes to putt and approach. Bullets actually fit my natural swing much better than pures - which I adopted more of a spinny putt to use since I naturally have a little more of a pitch/spush instead of a spin/spush. It's a weird way to describe it but I like getting more loft on my putts and the pure kind of hangs more on my natural line. The bullet is more like a low profile challenger.

All in all, putters don't really matter for me because I can putt 70% c1x with pretty much anything. It's just finding comfort so I can putt 80%+ more frequently.

I have to apologize to the Grace. I brought it back out in a fairly windy day today because I wanted to give it more of a chance. I was hyzer flipping it out in the 350-375 range fairly accurately. So the flippiness I was previously experiencing was almost definitely me muscling up and trying to throw it like it was overstable. Will have in the bag for a few weeks to try and learn it better.

Venom is likely to be changed to a regular Z Force. Still fighting having to throw it too hard forehand and it doesn't fight out like a hypercanes will.

Threw a z vulture in the bag, and like the freetail, I apparently was missing the speed 10 category.

I'm trying to shake the notion that I have to be a mold minimalist, and it feels like it's working more in my favor, and fits my game better because I'm pretty versatile with both FH and BH

I'm trying to shake the notion that I have to be a mold minimalist, and it feels like it's working more in my favor, and fits my game better because I'm pretty versatile with both FH and BH

I went through a similar process recently. It was really good for me to only play with a few molds, but as I learned them better and improved my form a lot, I started to expand. Comfort is the most important thing!

I went through a similar process recently. It was really good for me to only play with a few molds, but as I learned them better and improved my form a lot, I started to expand. Comfort is the most important thing!

Yeah for me it's really been refining and expanding my forehand game. If I need to be I am pretty sure I could be a forehand dominant player, and I can approach a lot of shots and lies from either swing. That has definitely expanded my preferences for how many different molds to carry. And I only have a couple of discs I don't use frequently with both swings (passion and bullet being the two primary backhand discs)

I am there with you guys, my number of molds also has increased as my FH got better. I throw em all BH and most of them FH (dont think I have in round thrown my paradox or flippy crave/vortex FH), which you think would mean I need less stuff but I find myself with more anyway. I did recently discover I can throw my inner core near 270 FH clean and quite straight.

Longhorns are available at retail again, and I picked a few more up. They definitely seem to have a little more right to left wiggle to them and can work more lines than a Grace. Once the grace starts to turn, it doesn't have as much LSS to fight out as well - it's a great line drive/hyzer flip driver, but I've never been quite comfortable enough with that type of disc in my distance slot. I have trust issues when trying to stretch out distance where I need something that can reliably fade back.

Some back and forth between Rift and Aftershock for my 'workhorse' midrange also. The rift gets a little squirrely at times. A fresh aftershock is close enough to my beat up SP Quake where there's a bit of overlap, but I can trust it more on hard midrange drives.

I've been battling my gut feeling with the raptor for a couple of years now. I enjoy the hand feel but they just don't have that 'punch' that a predator does. I'm consistently throwing them 20' short of where I want to land, both FH and BH. Brought back out the predators and it was like I never stopped throwing them. Easy control with fh/bh flex lines, actually hitting my landing zones as expected, etc. I think I'm going to continue with those as long as the bigZ come out pretty flat. Regardless, I should have enough to last me the next decade as long as I don't lose anything...