• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

dye alternatives, and broader ranges of colors

I'm using worm dip dye (bought 8 colors) and it works great for paining on. Great for spins, etc.

But... After it dries completely, it wipes off :( color stays but I need to be able to clean it up. Color is fast, but even with a run under warm water for a few minutes, it wipes off with wet wipes. I know the dip dye is acetone based and dries very quick, I'm hesitant to wipe down with acetone and risk smearing the colors.

Anyone have a good way to clean these worm dyes up so the excess dye is gone and not smeared?

I use quick coat and haven't had any of those ill effects. What brand is yours? I usually spin dye and then within minutes take and wash it in the shower and it almost never has color come off. The waters clear.

Maybe it's the amount of layers your putting on it?

This is Spike-It Unscented. Yeah I do 2-3 passes so that I get good coverage with the brush when spinning. I get a little ridge on the edge of the dye band where it builds up.

I've never dyed Prodigy, I know they have allot of different plastic types. You could try a basic champion or star and see if that makes a difference. Or you could try Quick Coat instead.

Edit. The dye looked like it came out fine btw

Champ Roc3. Same deal - it's the dye I know but had to get a picture. It dries out very quickly, so fast that a few turns on the wheel and its dry before it even covers well (about 3 seconds and the brush and disc are dry), so I have to do a few coats. Just need it to stay wet a bit longer - maybe I will mix just a fraction of water in with some and see. Wiped with acetone in the pic below, after that it is perfect and no extra dye on the surface.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 67
There's Quick Coat Worm Dip and Quick Coat Lure Dip. Which are you using?

This is what I use...Most colors work pretty well except for the black IMO...

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/soft-plastic-baits/380551.aspx

Also if you or anyone is looking for a decent medium to help enhance the worm dyes colors and eliminate some of the clumping you're talking about, you may want to consider giving this stuff a try. I use just a smidge on a q tip to help distribute the worm dye into the plastic more evenly...Seems to enhance the color as well and how it takes to the plastic. Go sparingly though, too much can mess with your lines or make them bleed out a little. Just a nip on the q tip, then run it over your worm dye lines. You still should always rinse the disc well when done too for good practice and dye removal.

http://www.welburngourdfarm.com/gourdmasterformula49.aspx

Last edited:
I got a few small paint brushes to put this on, maybe it's going on too thick. Are most people using QTips? Didn't think of this but that would probably keep the layer spread thin and wipe off excess at the same time. Any other methods? Foam brushes, other ideas?

What do you use?

I got a few small paint brushes to put this on, maybe it's going on too thick. Are most people using QTips? Didn't think of this but that would probably keep the layer spread thin and wipe off excess at the same time. Any other methods? Foam brushes, other ideas?

What do you use?

I use precision tips q-tips most of the time with the worm dye. I occasionally use a brush if i feel i need to. Like im using vinyl while spinning, a brush would be preferred over a q tip as the vinyl will make a mess of the q tip and smudge up against the vinyl. I use a brush with my homemade spin dye mixes though. Like if im mixing idye or pylam to make it paintable.

Last edited:
I was just looking around at the RIT website. I was going to pick up a few of the Proline colors, and noticed this...

http://store.ritstudio.com/rit-dyemore/

It doesn't look like it's available yet, but it looks like they've been blowing up social media about it.

""Dye More" is a new synthetic dye that will dye 100% polyester, acrylic, acetate, nylon and polyester/cotton blends."

I wonder....

Peace,
-Jeff

I was just looking around at the RIT website. I was going to pick up a few of the Proline colors, and noticed this...

It doesn't look like it's available yet, but it looks like they've been blowing up social media about it.

""Dye More" is a new synthetic dye that will dye 100% polyester, acrylic, acetate, nylon and polyester/cotton blends."

I wonder....

Peace,
-Jeff

Classic. Take away the old formula for a few years. Bring it back as a mark up - NEW! Now you can dye synthetic!

Umm, we used to be able to dye synthetic...

I guess my RIT stash isn't going to be worth millions after all, dang it!

I tried the quick coat worm dip on a disc last night. Unfortunately, it seemed to remove the glue on my stencil, which ended up being a big mess. Has anyone noticed this? Maybe it's the acetone in it? So I had to dye the whole disc black to cover up the ugliness :/ Yay, soft black envy putter!

I wonder....

Peace,
-Jeff

Looks like a dude on fb confirmed it takes and holds well :thmbup: I may have to pick some up. The colors look decent. I'm still curious about some of those proline colors though. The neons especially

I'm also having trouble with leftover residue. There's a film on an mvp disc that I can't get off. Acetone, rubbing alcohol, hot water...nothing works. Ideas? It's a bit messy.

Mail call today! Got some of the new Dyemore and Proline colors to play with. I'm doing some testing with them right now, and I'll post my results when I'm done.

image_zpstltpx1rc.jpg

Peace,
-Jeff

Mail call today! Got some of the new Dyemore and Proline colors to play with. I'm doing some testing with them right now, and I'll post my results when I'm done.

Peace,
-Jeff

Badass man! Can't wait to see your results with that Pro Line! Did you get some neons?

Latest posts