• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] E* Destroyer vs. McBeth star Destroyer

Twmccoy

* Ace Member *
What a stark difference in discs we have here. I recently acquired a nice, domey echo star Destroyer. I threw it some today in the field. This thing is marvelous. I haven't thrown a Destroyer like this one in a while. It actually had the -1 high speed turn, and would hold it for a while before fading. The glide was outstanding, and the disc was very long compared to most other Destroyers I've thrown.

E* Destroyer: 12, 5, -1, 2
McBeth Star Destroyer: 12, 4, 0, 3

McBeth star Destroyers are way flatter and have FAR less glide than this E*. The E* Destroyer had some turn, but I won't call it flippy. It would do a long, tight S curve before gently fading. MUCH mellower and longer fade than the McBeth Destroyer.

In all honesty, the E* Destroyer reminded me of the proto first run stars. Good dome, great glide, and it wasn't ridiculously overstable. IDK where Innova went wrong with Destroyers over the last few years, but the E* I threw today showed me (again) what a good Destroyer flies like. The last few McBeth Destroyers I've thrown have been gummy, flat, glideless, and VERY overstable.

Last edited:
Is this Echo Star Destroyer one of the light green ones being sold by Disc Golf Values right now, or is it an older one? What color is it?

I own one of the older ones in red. It is quite domey, and has a good bit more turn than what I get out of my Star Destroyers, but also comes back with a reliable fade. None of my Star Destroyers behave like it; least of all any that are domey like the Echo Star.
If I had more than just the one, I would throw them. But, I don't like to bag discs that I have no backups for.

Is this Echo Star Destroyer one of the light green ones being sold by Disc Golf Values right now, or is it an older one? What color is it?

I own one of the older ones in red. It is quite domey, and has a good bit more turn than what I get out of my Star Destroyers, but also comes back with a reliable fade. None of my Star Destroyers behave like it; least of all any that are domey like the Echo Star.
If I had more than just the one, I would throw them. But, I don't like to bag discs that I have no backups for.

Mine is yellow. Not sure what run or how old it is. It doesn't appear to be brand new though. Has the regular echo star logo on it. Its a lot domier than most Destroyers I've seen lately.

IMO the E* Destroyer is a fantastic disc. Mine really bombs, and it has the glide I remember from much older star Destroyer runs.

Mine is yellow. Not sure what run or how old it is. It doesn't appear to be brand new though. Has the regular echo star logo on it. Its a lot domier than most Destroyers I've seen lately.

IMO the E* Destroyer is a fantastic disc. Mine really bombs, and it has the glide I remember from much older star Destroyer runs.

If it has patent numbers it's one of the great old runs. Bombers

I had a blue E* with a robot on (I think). Flippiest distance driver i've ever had. It would flip and roll from a 4 o'clock hyzer

I could start diving into what the older run of E★ Destroyers differences are, but sadly they are all *semi-out of production.

*Disc Golf Values has a new Air Force Stamped embossed run of E★ Destroyers that are great. Fly like overstable champion terns with that echo star glide. more durable than the robot stamped destroyers but are the most mellow and bomber original destroyer stability destroyer currently available for retail pricing.

EchoAF.jpg

https://discgolfvalues.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=1497
they come in green/orange/yellow

here's a dgcr thread about them:
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132285

they go in and out of stock and are a little more expensive than echostar plastic in the past. I was hesitant at first about spending more but realized the cardinal disc golf rule: if you find a current run that you love at retail pricing then its your fault when the new runs change drastically and you didn't buy multiples when you had the chance.:p

ok here goes: (warning you'd think a sub sect of destroyer classification would be simpler than star destroyers, but with destroyers its always dr. who level complicated)

there is a near 1st run of actual star destroyers with star stamps/sometimes proto stamps from the 2009-ish era that were penned ESDS /E★ D. they flew like overstable terns and were bombers.https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=58763&d=1465233124

then there was a slicker very domey stiff E★DS that flew very similar to AJ Destroyers (and were ironically more durable and slightly more OS than AJ's). these had the vertical bar echo star stamp.

Destroyer_Echo_Star_Echo.jpg

then there were the robot stamp which were tern flippy out of the box and beat into roller understable quickly. they were uber tern level distance right out of the box but didn't last long (maybe 2-3 months before becoming unpredictable).
EchoStar_Destroyer_72ppi.jpg

weirdly the flippy robot stamped echostar destroyers did have some overstable/durable gems in which i noticed were always orange colored, had same plh of beefy AJ destroyers but mellowed quickly. I think these were the last of the regular production echo star destroyers before they went semi out of production. https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67700&page=174

JMHr9tnl.jpg

eSjhlo5l.jpg

Last edited:
also those new disc golf value echo star terns kicked the champ shrykes out of my bag. i really simplified my bag with the only distance driver being a bunch of destroyers (flippy robot stamp trick shot roller understable destroyer, airforce stamp DGV destroyer for true distance, and some beefcake bottom stamps for super OS duties).

MafpuIi.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Here's my E* Destroyer. Very domey. Stiffer star plastic, not nearly as gummy or slick as the McBeths

No patent numbers on the bottom. Just says Innova Champion Discs and then lists their website, Innova.com.

Great flier. Some turn, but not ridiculously flippy. Outstanding glide. Definitely on the flippier side of the spectrum as far as star Destroyer stability goes.

Everything is better in E*. The only teebirds I ever really liked we're E* and my favorite Wraiths are too.

Latest posts