• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] ESP Zone

Stable

* Ace Member *
Anyone out there use the Zone for short FH shots? I currently use a max weight flat Champion Firebird for this role but I want to eliminate a mold. I've been loving my 174g ESP Zone for short BH hyzers and approaches. Haven't thrown it FH much. My Firebird doesn't get used a whole lot so if I can work the Zone both ways that would help me simplify my bag.

My flat ch glow firebird is more overstable than both of my zones ( cryztal and esp)
I can throw my zones farther!
they have less fade and more glide than my FAF firebird.

I prefer a Credo for this role. It may be worth checking out. :)

Zones are great for short forehands. However, I personally prefer VPs or even just a Wizard.

The Zone is great for forehands, but as others have said, it's much shorter than a Firebird. I carry both, and throw them both backhand and forehand.

What about the Banshee? That should be a solid forehand disc for you too. To me, the contest here is between the Banshee and Firebird.

The Zone is great for forehands, but as others have said, it's much shorter than a Firebird. I carry both, and throw them both backhand and forehand.

What about the Banshee? That should be a solid forehand disc for you too. To me, the contest here is between the Banshee and Firebird.

I find the Banshee and Firebird to be not very similar. The Banshee really flies like a more OS Teebird. I can throw my Banshee FH & BH with equal success. I've been using it a lot lately and it has been a great fit for my game. Banshee stays! The only time I use the Firebird with any success is on short FH approaches. That's where I wondering if the Zone could step in.

I use my ESP Zone extensively for shorter forehand shots. It is my go-to, get out of trouble disc.

This. I have a Zone to cover very OS putter and shorter midrange drives, and a Champ FB for longer midrange to fairway distances. Fresh Star Wraith for distance shots.

I find the Banshee and Firebird to be not very similar. The Banshee really flies like a more OS Teebird. I can throw my Banshee FH & BH with equal success. I've been using it a lot lately and it has been a great fit for my game. Banshee stays! The only time I use the Firebird with any success is on short FH approaches. That's where I wondering if the Zone could step in.

The Zone is great for short approaches. It's pretty much the Zone and the Ion for me on forehand upshots.

If you're not feeling the Firebird, drop it. No reason to keep it in the bag if you're not as confident with it as the Banshee. I used to have a Banshee in the bag, and I liked it quite a bit. It's not as long as a Firebird, but it fills the OS fairway slot nicely.

I carry a Champ glow Gator for all my midrange overstable requirements, but was pretty impressed with the Zones at Spinners. The flatness of it is appealing as is it's small diameter.

The Zone is great for short approaches. It's pretty much the Zone and the Ion for me on forehand upshots.

If you're not feeling the Firebird, drop it. No reason to keep it in the bag if you're not as confident with it as the Banshee. I used to have a Banshee in the bag, and I liked it quite a bit. It's not as long as a Firebird, but it fills the OS fairway slot nicely.

I find the Banshee to be longer than the Firebird.

Seems like you already know what the answer is, just drop the Firebird and learn to
FH the Zone.

I just can't do it. I played 5 rounds this weekend and tried so hard to get a feel for a FH Zone shot. It just doesn't feel comfortable at all. The Firebird is just too perfect for long FH approach shots. I'm just going to keep the 9 molds I have for the rest of the year and be objective going into 2015 about how I can minimize. Maybe I should stop trying to minimize all together and realize it's just as important to have all the weapons I need. Besides 9 molds is still conservative enough.

If you're near Charlotte I could let you try my Crosslap Credos and Axiom Envies. Those are my favorite putters to FH.

If you're near Charlotte I could let you try my Crosslap Credos and Axiom Envies. Those are my favorite putters to FH.

I'm about 2.5 hours from Charlotte (Near Raleigh). Would totally drive down there to get a casual round with THE Mike C. :thmbup:

Put a Zone in the bag today, played a whole round with it... Im a little pissed off i never gave a zone a chance until today.

Probably stays in the bag from this day on.

Its a D-Pro, feels like a nice base plastic.. w/e i dont know anything about Discraft plastic