• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Etiquette and pet peeves

Those park goers who pick up your disc and throw back to you, lol. I've had this happen once or twice

Had this happen during my first pdga event, on a nice drive for me. An older lady picked it up and was going to throw it back, we all started yelling no. She got scared, dropped it. I said thanks, and she picked it up again and put it on the sidewalk (o.b.) so it was "easier to find"

I'm in the process of creating a "Course Etiquette" card/pamphlet to hand out at courses. Trying to include everything I can think of for casual and tournament play. I will have it available to anyone who wants it when I finish it!

-Scott Lewis
Hyzer Flip Disc Golf

Please let me know when this is finished so I can pass them out to a few people I have in mind haha.

I'd consider either making separate sections or separate cards for casual and tournament.

All of the above lol. Lets at Land of Memories in Mankato my biggest thing has got to be dog oh and even horse sh*t....seriously do you want me to come and drop a big ole duece right where you walk? How about your living room or wherever you like to hang out.....just clean up...its not that difficult. Then again for these people it must be because for most of them "taking the dog outside" means they bring their dogs to the disc golf park and let them out of the car...then proceed to just drive up and down the access road with their dog chasing the car for its exercise...don't even get out and throw a ball or anything...oh and there is a nice shiny "Dog Park" that i'm sure us disc golfer's taxes went to that you could use too...Seriously people like that piss me off. End rant. Sad thing is I was thinking before I typed this if sh*t was my biggest pet peeve at the course...I believe that just confirmed it haha.

im so ****ing tired of dog **** at lando, people ignore the leash laws and the no dog poop laws everyday. the local popo just drive by and not enforce the laws.

People starting on a hole other than number 1 and not letting you play through even though you're headed to that tee box as they throw their disc into the woods and take 25 mins to find it. :thmbdown:

People walking into the middle of your fairway right as you're getting ready to throw and taking 5 mins to pick a disc and get set up to throw. Then when they proceed to throw a bad shot, they pull out another disc and chuck it. :wall:

People starting on a hole other than number 1 and not letting you play through even though you're headed to that tee box as they throw their disc into the woods and take 25 mins to find it.

I was playing a round one day and just starting hole 12. My friends were in a group of three on hole 14. Instead of just skipping ahead I played fast and knew I'd catch up. Just as I'm putting on twelve a van pulls up and parks. 3 dudes with their families pull up and just walk on to 13 teepad. They proceed to chuck drivers one after another as their PREGNANT wives/GF walk down the middle of the fairway they are on. I didnt know if I should be mad they jumped in front of me or shocked they were chucking ugly hyzers right past their old ladies head. It was odd. I just grabbed my bag and walked past them all. They just stared at me like how could that guy pass us.

I'm in the process of creating a "Course Etiquette" card/pamphlet to hand out at courses. Trying to include everything I can think of for casual and tournament play. I will have it available to anyone who wants it when I finish it!

-Scott Lewis
Hyzer Flip Disc Golf

We'll know when you start handing them out because they will be littered all over the course.

People who take doubles rounds seriously. Nobody is impressed with your 15 down from the short tees.

Any music on the course. It is especially terrible when someone has their ipod on shuffle. Bob Marley followed by the black eyed peas? Ugh

Not being offered the chance to play through from people who should know better. I play mostly alone, so when I roll up to a group of 4-6 people all carrying 30 discs, chairs, disc golf specific shoes, blah blah, I expect to be acknowledged. Either, "we'll get you through on the next one" or "tee off with us, and play through". I am not afraid to ask to play through at all, but damn, come on. This only seems to happen with the snobs, when there is very little course traffic. Which is what makes it so annoying.

I agree with everything that's been said already (guess that makes me a grouch :\ ... oh well). But, there's one other peeve of mine that hasn't been mentioned yet.

I hate the always-have-to-slap-hands-guy.

When you have a terrible shot, he's holding his hand out before your disc even lands with a "oh, man, tough luck" five. This ain't so bad every once in a while, but during a competitive round, I'd rather just think to myself.

When you have a mediocre shot, he's holding his hand out with a "don't hang your head, that wasn't too bad" five. I'm well aware of the shot I just threw; I mean, I freakin' threw it! Does it look like I'm hanging my head? No, it doesn't because I'm not. Move on!

When you have a good or great shot, he's holding his hand out with a "great shot, man, let me transfer my cigarette and mary-j residue onto your throwing hand" five. I like praise as much as the next person, but I don't need the byproduct of your butt-scratching all over my throwing hand because you insist on giving me a wide-open five after every. single. flippin. time. I have a good shot. Move on!

Wow, I really am a grouch! Please tell me I'm not alone with this peeve... :confused:

Last edited:
I have been hit into on a ball golf course, hit and broke my toe.

I have a good friend who was hit HARD in the family jewels on a ball golf course by a wickedly sliced drive from an adjacent hole. I was standing right next to him on our tee pad, and he was drilled like it was a nut-seeking missile. And the guy didn't even yell "fore." My friend was pissed, but was in too much pain to retaliate with anything more than words.

Lesson: don't throw on people, and if your disc looks like it might hit someone, yell "fore." It could save a lot of pain.

I've been playing for only 7 months but i have developed some intolerance for things in this sport. Its a short list:

-Littering with in 20feet of a garbage can. Or just littering in general.
-not allowing you to play through
-Admitting you would never try and return someones disc. (karma is a bitch)
-blowing your cigarette smoke in my face when we play together.
-DISC GOLF SNOBS!! I must say just because you possess +200 discs and a $400 worth of Disc Golf apperal doesnt make you Nate Doss or give you the right to make fun of less skilled players. It makes you a tool.

I don't have many pet peeves but I hate people that litter and also people who drink in access to the point it ruins everyone else's round. I usually keep a trash bag in my disc golf bag and pick up litter during rounds by myself. I got stuck behind two guys with a cooler full of beer. Not a big deal if you pick up after yourself. They didn't so I played behind them the whole round picking up the cans and trash. Not a huge deal except for when I caught up to them in the parking lot. They smiled at each other and then started bagging on me for cleaning up after them. For some reason this really bothered me and I might have let my temper get the best of me. I realize this is not the best way to handle the situation and in the future will handle it better. I turned around walked back to them and upended the trash bag through the sunroof of the car and told them to have a nice day.

People that feel the need to smoke illegal substances in the parking lot and on the course.

Seriously? Do it at home or on the way if you're going to do it. I hate showing up to play and getting asked if I'd like a hit. Not that I care that people do it, just do it somewhere not around me; I can't afford to be guilty by association in my line of work.

/rant

I prefer Voodoo Glow Skulls myself

I agree, Skankin' Pickle was the first ska band to pop in my head, I prefer Catch 22 Keasbey Nights/Alone in the Crowd, met Jeff Davidson many times and conversed with him after almost every show they played in Pittsburgh. End thread jack, to stay on topic, disc golf elitists/snobs are a big peeve of mine.

Keep your dogs off of the course.
Please and thank you.

I am ok with dogs as long as they stay with the owner or are kept on a leash. Also if you are going to bring a dog clean up after it. I dont mind picking up trash but I am not going to clean up after someones pet.

I don't have many pet peeves but I hate people that litter and also people who drink in access to the point it ruins everyone else's round. I usually keep a trash bag in my disc golf bag and pick up litter during rounds by myself. I got stuck behind two guys with a cooler full of beer. Not a big deal if you pick up after yourself. They didn't so I played behind them the whole round picking up the cans and trash. Not a huge deal except for when I caught up to them in the parking lot. They smiled at each other and then started bagging on me for cleaning up after them. For some reason this really bothered me and I might have let my temper get the best of me. I realize this is not the best way to handle the situation and in the future will handle it better. I turned around walked back to them and upended the trash bag through the sunroof of the car and told them to have a nice day.

:clap:

There is nothing that gets under my skin more than selfish chuckers who think they are the only people who exist and just litter every where they go. We have this happen on our course at times and it drives me nuts. I have no problem with you drinking at the course. But, if there is a trash can that is less than 400ft away and your lazy azz can not hold onto that can long enough to throw it in said trash can, then I say you sir shall be banned from drinking on the course. Didn't your mother tell you to clean up after yourself? Did you grow up in a barn? (No offense to you individuals out there that grew up on farms and such). Pick up your beer cans/bottles and throw them away. The last thing we need is some small child getting hurt b/c your lazy, no good for nuttin', selfish azz couldn't throw your own beer cans/bottles away. Not to mention the effects it has on mother nature and how unpleasant it makes the course look.

You should play where dogs are not allowed and report the offenders.

I love dogs.
I have 2 of them.
The first word I ever said was the name of my grandparent's dog.
I hate dogs on the course.
And, I don't want to be "that guy" who complains to The Man.