• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Executing The Dream

Update on the new "replacement" courses at NE Park.
We've pretty much completed the first cut on the 18 hole course, well actually the first and second cuts combined. Going out today to work on the last of the dragging out of cuttings then on to chainsawing out all the stumps that parks cant get to yet.
Brother Dave has been working on the 9 hole loop where the old course was and it looks like he's close to having the first cut done over there as well.
Things are coming along slowly but surely. next thing to work on after the stumps will be prepping the tee areas and getting the tees down. We've had a ton of rain so parks is backed up on mowing etc. and it's been way too wet to get the excavator in to work on stumps let alone starting work on the tees. :\ Oh yeah and the water is so high on the Buffalo Creek that 4 holes are flooded out. Might need to create a few high water holes in case we get huge rains in the future, but thats a winter time project.

Before and after:
19577118_10213967362442202_290402068160120609_o.jpg

19620979_10213967362682208_622062543904819258_o.jpg

19667461_10213967363082218_3457986489577615663_o.jpg

19621186_10213967363922239_1524228181131161368_o.jpg

19693564_10213967364202246_4586885880888030896_o.jpg

19620490_10213967364802261_537255536998841785_o.jpg

19577223_10213967364922264_819353197033134120_o.jpg

19620307_10213967365362275_5598951442486653910_o.jpg

I don't know where this fits in, but about a mile from me a house is for sale. The ad for the house starts like this:

Just listed: 4455 Stoney Hill Road, Newberry. Country living at its best. Located in the friendly Stoney Hill community and located near the famous Stoney Hill Disc Golf Course.....

Understand that I have no idea who these people are. I didn't even know we were famous. I don't know how they would know we are famous, if we are.

Nor do I know if the dream includes being listed as an amenity in a stranger's real estate ad.

But of course we're flattered, and our friends will never hear the end of it, and we'll be both pleased and astonished if a disc golfer buys that house.

Looks like I need to apply for a job at that forklift plant in Newberry after I graduate :D

Our neighbors place is up for sale...they annoyingly sold their bigger and better mountain to the other neighbor first though....dude didnt event want the peak, just the vacant land next to it!

The land on one side of us is much better than our land. It's tied up with some heirs, and we don't know what will become of it. But if they ever decide to sell, and if we can manage the purchase, one of two things will happen: Stoney Hill will become a disc golf complex, or its owners will die of exhaustion.

So I'm not the only one that "eyeballs" the land around their own. Good to know.

Though my wife has preemptively said "No way!" to more land when I mention that certain surrounding parcels look nice.

Just checking in guys. I am on year 3 of working on Blackbear. Hopefully, we get the concrete pads that parks keeps promising us this year. The course is really playing pretty excellent now otherwise.

I am also now beginning early stages of redesign of the only other local course. Disc Golf in southern ohio is really starting to gain some traction.

I have been hosting disc golf outings for the health and wellness program for hospital employees. I get more and more show up each time. I love seeing the dream come alive.

Is this really a good idea?

So, I was able to borrow a backhoe and I went a little gonzo and dug a pond. It's a small pond, really just a hole. About 25' across in one direction and 30' in the other. It's about 8 ft deep at the deepest.

What's to stop me from mounting a basket on a rail of some sort with a handle attached to it and putting the basket over the center of the pond?

Attachments

• pondholebasket.jpg
    pondholebasket.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 66
So, I was able to borrow a backhoe and I went a little gonzo and dug a pond. It's a small pond, really just a hole. About 25' across in one direction and 30' in the other. It's about 8 ft deep at the deepest.

What's to stop me from mounting a basket on a rail of some sort with a handle attached to it and putting the basket over the center of the pond?

You devil you lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I once threatened to hang a basket over our creek, with a cable and winch system to reel it to shore to retrieve made putts.

Never did it.

Not yet, anyway.

But you have my blessing.

I once threatened to hang a basket over our creek, with a cable and winch system to reel it to shore to retrieve made putts.

Never did it.

Not yet, anyway.

But you have my blessing.

Thank you Father, for I will sin.

Might be a while, but I'll post reaction/results when/if I do it. Although right now the pond is empty so it might be a good time to try it.

Maybe when it's full of water I'll put the basket on an inner tube and float it in the middle. 1 stroke penalty for hitting the snapping turtle.

Are you gonna put a windmill or clown's mouth in front of the basket?...

Not a fan of gimmicks?

Well I've got a windmill, but it's one of those metal in your yard types.

Guess I could use a large poster of Ezekiel Eliot with his mouth open for the clowns mouth. :)

Why not have a bunch of frickin laser beams to throw through to get to the basket.

You could even have, oh I don't know, sharks with frickin laser beams on their heads.

Sharks that have been trained to jump and attack putts flying through.

Would make disc retrieval awkward as well.

:D

But seriously, that would be the one thing, is having to get your putter out of the pond every time you miss the putt. Otherwise it'd probably be fun.

Why not have a bunch of frickin laser beams to throw through to get to the basket.

You could even have, oh I don't know, sharks with frickin laser beams on their heads.

Sharks that have been trained to jump and attack putts flying through.

Would make disc retrieval awkward as well.

:D

But seriously, that would be the one thing, is having to get your putter out of the pond every time you miss the putt. Otherwise it'd probably be fun.

Throw me a frickin bone!

Seriously, how different would this be from having a basket at the edge of a water hazard?

How a bout a net that covers the surface of the pond? oO disc retrieval is easier?

Wouldn't it be easier to just build a sand trap and call it OB? There are so many problems with a pond, especially that small. You need to keep fish in it to control algae and/or bugs, but there isn't a lot of surface area to oxygenate itself. So you may need a fountain or aerator. If you don't use fish for the algae, then you need to buy chemicals. I mean I get the idea and it could be pretty cool if done right, but just seems like a headache to me.