• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Executing The Dream

Ive always been intrigued by the variety of hole setups possible when bi-directional considerations are explored from the get go. Sometimes the work. load increases dramatically, but if the time and energy is available, it pays off for years to come. Of course, with a strong design concept, the metamorphosis can be implimented periodically as time allows. My design comrade Joey Johnson and I designed the now debunked Govan Course with reversible holes in mind. We eventually chiseled things down to a standard 18 utilizing some of the a to z holes mixed with some z to a holes. Worked out great for us.

I think you mean defunct, not debunked. That was one of the best courses I ever played, and I defy anyone to debunk it.

There are several holes at Stoney Hill that have flipped directions over the years, from original designs or installations. There's still one ghost of a teepad, near a current green. We have two overlapping layouts, and there's also one fairway that currently plays in both directions, depending on which layout you're playing.

But there's a limit, due to our tendency to put baskets in places where you'd never build a tee.

Looked at reverse, alternates etc, but I just tried to focus on the 18 holes already barely being played. We do have one teepad that could one day have been used for 2 seperate holes, whether you are playing A or B circuit...17A or 4B

Looked at reverse, alternates etc, but I just tried to focus on the 18 holes already barely being played. We do have one teepad that could one day have been used for 2 seperate holes, whether you are playing A or B circuit...17A or 4B

Gutted to hear this, have been on and off following your progress since the first post.

Any chance of reopening in the future as the sport grows in the area?

What were the main issues that have forced your hand?

So I'm thinking this is the best place to put this up. I also have had the dream of a disc golf course of my own. Big surprise. Anyways I am trying to figure out expenses and what others have experience with this. I potentially am working on land that may be good, owned by my family but it won't be free. That isn't what I'm more interested in knowing though. More along the lines of material needs and costs and useful equipment. Been reading through here as much as I can but searching is proving difficult.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't like to think about the costs but I'll see if I can help some.

A lot of what you'll need will depend heavily on the type of property you end up with. Mine is pretty hilly, mostly wooded. I have zero agricultural use for a tractor other than tilling up the small veggie garden we try to keep. My property is mostly "park-like" so I bought a sub-compact utility tractor (SCUT) which can handle a 5' finish mower, 4' box grader, 4' loader bucket, or a 4' rotary cutter (rough mower). Anything bigger than those and I'll need something with more HP. You can price out tractors on most manufacturer's websites pretty easily. You can always find used stuff too if you're comfortable with that. I'm no expert on engines and equipment so I'm usually more comfortable buying new, getting the 0% interest rate, getting the warranty, and learning to take care of stuff myself.

I mowed with that SCUT for 3 years, and it was slow as can be. We recently added a zero-turn mower to the collection and I couldn't be happier. It will literally cut my mowing time almost in half. I didn't believe the sales person and was going to be happy if it shaved 25% off but after a couple weeks I can confirm that it's almost twice as fast as using the SCUT. That said, you really won't want to buy a typical residential ZT (think HD/Lowes type) and should go with one of the commercial ones. I'd expect to pay $7-12k for a good brand depending on engine and cut size. (Scag, Exmark, Kubota, Deere, etc.) Again, deals can be found on used ones and spring is usually a good time as lawn care companies get new equipment and sell off the old.

My brother in law bought a side by side (Polaris Ranger 400) that he leaves on the property. It can haul about 500 lbs. in the dump bed or it can tow 1000 lbs. or so. It has come in very handy for hauling tools into the deeper parts of the woods on our property.

Other than those big items...
Power tools: Chain saws, chipper, string trimmers, portable generator.
Hand tools: Shovels, machetes, axes, pruning saws, pole saw, loppers, etc.
Misc: Gas cans, ropes/slings, gloves (lots of gloves), safety gear (glasses, ear muffs/plugs, etc.)

EDIT: and a truck and trailer for hauling any of the big equipment to the dealer/service guy whenever it inevitably breaks down. Most places seem to charge 50-100 bucks for pickup and delivery when you need service.

Last edited:
EDIT: and a truck and trailer for hauling any of the big equipment to the dealer/service guy whenever it inevitably breaks down. Most places seem to charge 50-100 bucks for pickup and delivery when you need service.

And repair costs, when all that stuff breaks down. It helps if you can do smaller repairs yourself, or learn them. We've found that tractor repairs are astonishingly pricey.

Fuel for everything.

Herbicide, if you're not philosophically opposed to it.

Railroad ties, landscape timbers, lumber for bridges, if needed.

We've obtained used baskets over the years, and carpet teepads (free for the scrounging). If you want fancier tees, material costs for them.

Deduct from all that the costs of all the activities you'd be spending money on, if you weren't spending your time maintaining a course.

We bought ATVs, very useful for hauling tools and equipment to holes you're working on.

My brother and I bought the property, and he bought an ATV. I said I didn't need one. One day I carried a string trimmer a thousand feet down a big hill, started trimming, and within a minute ran out of gas. So I walked back, retrieved a gas can, walked down, filled it, resumed work. For about a minute, until it ran out of string. So I walked back up, got more, walked back, and thought to myself that an ATV might be a good tool, not just a toy.

And repair costs, when all that stuff breaks down. It helps if you can do smaller repairs yourself, or learn them. We've found that tractor repairs are astonishingly pricey.

Fuel for everything.

Herbicide, if you're not philosophically opposed to it.

Railroad ties, landscape timbers, lumber for bridges, if needed.

We've obtained used baskets over the years, and carpet teepads (free for the scrounging). If you want fancier tees, material costs for them.

Deduct from all that the costs of all the activities you'd be spending money on, if you weren't spending your time maintaining a course.

Great additions, and a very good point about the saved costs from all the stuff you don't have time for. This property has pretty much become my only hobby other than my weekly round of dg with my buddies.

Don't have to mow as much as most of you but I just got a 50" zero turn and wow! What a game changer. Also just got my first review, got the private course bump. Just happy to have a review up regardless of how fair or inflated.

Don't have to mow as much as most of you but I just got a 50" zero turn and wow! What a game changer. Also just got my first review, got the private course bump. Just happy to have a review up regardless of how fair or inflated.

Big time game changer. Just got one myself about a month ago. Couldn't believe the speed and agility. Cut my mowing time literally in half.

Its another machine to maintain but the oil changes are super easy.

Was able to borrow this for a week.

Cut two new fairways, dug a small pond, moved lot of brush.

Attachments

• Bobcat430.jpg
    Bobcat430.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 31
Anybody know how to leave course designer feedback in the reviews section for your own course? I noticed that hornets nest allows this.