• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Executing The Dream

Openoffice Draw for the teesigns. Used Google Maps for the course map. The course map isn't exact... but no GPSr is super exact when you have a huge canopy over your head. Teesigns took maybe 8 hours or so to make. Actually, the template took forever for me to get it how I liked. I found the bear on google images and stole it. Being used on public land, nobody should get their feelings hurt.

Two tractor repairs in a week, and still to deal with the lawn tractor that's problems we put in storage last fall, and the grass hasn't even started to grow.

Anyone reading this thread who wants to own a disc golf course and hasn't yet bought your land.....sit down. We need to talk.

Hope the repairs weren't anything major.

I put an invite out on the local disc golf Facebook page for a work day this coming Sunday. I'll be lucky if 1 or 2 people show up.

Hope the repairs weren't anything major.

I put an invite out on the local disc golf Facebook page for a work day this coming Sunday. I'll be lucky if 1 or 2 people show up.

(1) Only about $300 worth, but the real issue is time---when you want to do work on the property, but instead are doing work on the tools.

(2) In a disc golf hotbed like the one you're in?.......yeah, probably right.

(1) Only about $300 worth, but the real issue is time---when you want to do work on the property, but instead are doing work on the tools.

(2) In a disc golf hotbed like the one you're in?.......yeah, probably right.

Yep. I've put off a lot of little annoying maintenance things because I know my service department will have the thing for 2 weeks minimum. Especially this time of year. Sometimes you just have to mow.

I just don't remember, when we were looking for land, having visions of staring at a flat half-ton tractor tire and thinking, "Well, I'm not just going to put the spare on and keep working."

Back then we talked about fairways and greens and vistas and quiet, and not about learning more about small engine repair than I'd ever had an interest in before. I think we had the foolish notion that we could plan our coursework, rather than have fickle Mother Nature, and fickler tools, dictate our plans.

Just a heads up to the next crop of course owners. Do it, by all means. But save up a good supply of profanity; you'll need it.

I just don't remember, when we were looking for land, having visions of staring at a flat half-ton tractor tire and thinking, "Well, I'm not just going to put the spare on and keep working."

Back then we talked about fairways and greens and vistas and quiet, and not about learning more about small engine repair than I'd ever had an interest in before. I think we had the foolish notion that we could plan our coursework, rather than have fickle Mother Nature, and fickler tools, dictate our plans.

Just a heads up to the next crop of course owners. Do it, by all means. But save up a good supply of profanity; you'll need it.

This is us, 10-ish years after you, to a T. My wife really didn't anticipate the amount of time I'd be out mowing. It's the "M" word and she hates it with a white hot passion. Tolerates it as best as possible, but hates it. Like I said, she's the one pushing the zero turn mower.

I have the profanity in spades. I used to do pretty good not cursing, then I started working in the construction industry.

I have a huge advantage over many of you---partnership. My brother, sister, and I went in together on the land purchase, and built homes. My brother and I can share the coursework, and my sister (who bought in to have horses) help with tractor issues.

Then again, any of you who knew how to work this equipment---or even better, how to fix it---had a big head start on us. Heck, I had to learn how to turn off the tractor, which doesn't care if you switch the key off, or indeed leave with it.

yep- no way i could do it if there weren't already all the farm equipment (and a mechanic) here.

My wife's sister and her husband went in on 10 of the 65 acres. I built a house, we're waiting on them to build now. He doesn't want to until high speed Internet makes it out here.

I've tried to tell him he won't have time for video games if he moves out here. Just good, physical, rewarding labor. Salesmanship isn't my strong suit.

At least they've split some costs on equipment, driveway work, etc.

Has he looked into satellite internet recently?

That's what we currently have, it's ok, and while it has improved and continues to do so, it still doesn't have the ping rate to run fast action games like first person shooters and the like.

Also, he's a bit of a night owl and watches a boatload of Netflix, YouTube, etc. late into the night and assumes he would kill his GB allotment every month. He's probably right.

I think we pay $130/month for 50GB of data. We used to pay the same for 30GB but when they wanted to charge us $800+ to move our equipment from the "barn house" to the new house (300' or so) we just switched from a business plan to the new residential plan which included a new satellite dish and hookup. Luckily my wife's job pays for a good portion of the cost and we're able to write off the rest since she works from home.

Yeah, gaming would be a problem....

I was just noticing that both Exede (which I have) and Hughesnet have come out with faster, larger volume options. Not as good as the real thing, if you're a heavy user.

Things you lose when you live the good life.

Brother in law definitely hasn't bought into my version of "the good life" yet. He's getting there slowly.

We have Hughesnet. The 30GB plan we were on had pretty crappy splits on when the data could be used. 6AM-6PM we had 20GB, but 6PM-6AM when we actually use it the most was only 10GB which we frequently exceeded. Then they throttle your speeds WAY down, like 56K speeds, which makes just about everything on the internet impossible anymore.

The new 50GB plan we're now on is 50GB anytime which is a gigantic improvement.

One of the more popular courses in this area, Lincoln Ridge (Banklick), has a handful of holes that have "upper/lower" instead of "short/long" tee pads. In that vein, here's a hole we worked on over the weekend that will have an upper and lower teepad. Three of us cleared most of the fairways for the first half of this hole, basically from the tee to the landing zone which is about the halfway point. Next we'll cut the fairway from the landing zone to the basket.

So, two tees, both in the woods. Each tee throws to a single landing zone which is a small clearing on the edge of the woods. From the landing zone, you'll throw slightly down hill back into the woods to the basket.

First pic is looking from the edge of the landing zone back towards the lower teepad.(uphill anny)
Second pic is from the edge of the landing zone back towards the upper teepad.(hard hyzer valley shot)
Third pic is from the back edge of the landing zone. Left side you can see the lower fairway, right side (behind bro-in-law and 4x4) is the upper fairway.

We also cut a trail from the lower tee to the upper tee. Only 100' long or so.

Attachments

• 20170402_151328.jpg
    20170402_151328.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 20170402_155944.jpg
    20170402_155944.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 20170402_164532.jpg
    20170402_164532.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 31
Here's a pic from the upper tee. BIL (red shirt) is working the brushcutter just downhill and short of the landing zone which you can just barely see through the trees.

And a map overhead of the hole. Orange is the lower teepad, blue is the upper.

From the lower pad to the landing zone is about 15-20' of elevation gain. The upper pad is about even with the landing zone but you throw over about a 20' deep valley.

Looking at 500'-ish of total length. 250-275' for each throw, tee to landing and landing to green.

Attachments

• 20170402_163241.jpg
    20170402_163241.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 30
  • Hole 16 map.jpg
    Hole 16 map.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 31
Very cool Crook. I would warn other members about mechanical failure by osmosis. Stop reading now if all your stuff is in working order!!!!!!! I have had 2 flat tractor tires in as many days. Luckily both were on the front, and could be handled with relative ease.
Big workday at the new course in Lynchburg. Crew of 17 on Saturday got 16 of 18 fairways cut and cleared. Still a ways to go, but we should be playing on it in June. Name got approved as Blackwater Creek Disc Golf Course at Sandusky Park.
Also came up with a name for the nine hole course at my house, which I am excited about. Broken Oak DGC is throwable now, though I need to finish cutting, pushing brush (waiting on aforementioned tractor tire), and moving baskets. Tees will be carpet on dirt for the foreseeable future. Trying to get the most of the cutting wrapped up before it gets hot.
Muddyboots

I'm in the middle of working on another course, this time I got the go ahead to completely redesign the mess at NE Park.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=4585

We got to use the area adjacent to the old 6 hole beginner loop which is all old growth woods so there hasn't been alot of clearing to cut the fairways. Thats where the new front 9 will be.
Of course its another project where there is no money to be spent on the project so
all of the equipment is being recycled out of the old courses into the new ones (and 18 hole mixed skill level par 68 and a 9 hole beginner loop).
Nothing says love for disc golf like spending your days off cutting 400+ ft fairways by hand for free. Anyway I love seeing the fairways suddenly pop out of raw woods, thats what keeps me at it.
Drew

$300, a full can of PBlaster, and a generous application of sledgehammer later, the 6' finish mower has new fork/wheel assemblies on it. Wrapped up just before dark. New grease fittings this evening, hopefully. Need to sharpen the blades, and I'll be back in business. If anyone has experience to share in terms of 2 stroke extendable pole saws, I am in the market. For reference, I have owned the Stihl (131 maybe). My saws are Husqvarna, but I have no real brand loyalty at this point. Selling points for me would be weight to reach ratio, and inclusion of harness in package.
Mud