• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Executing The Dream

Black Bear DGC is coming along quite nicely! Parks has opened up the fairways by cutting tagged trees this winter. Design is finally finished. Should have pads and signs in this spring. Kiosk is finished and should go in the ground soon.

We have had some very generous reviews for no signs, no finished tees, and not having all of the trees cut out.

Black Bear DGC is coming along quite nicely! Parks has opened up the fairways by cutting tagged trees this winter. Design is finally finished. Should have pads and signs in this spring. Kiosk is finished and should go in the ground soon.

We have had some very generous reviews for no signs, no finished tees, and not having all of the trees cut out.

Your course is somewhat close to Cincinnati right? I'll be up there this summer interning and if it is, I'll definitely have to take a trip to play it!

On another note, I love following this thread; I'm not in a position to build my own course and likely won't be for a while, but I'd love to be able to someday.

Your course is somewhat close to Cincinnati right? I'll be up there this summer interning and if it is, I'll definitely have to take a trip to play it!

On another note, I love following this thread; I'm not in a position to build my own course and likely won't be for a while, but I'd love to be able to someday.

About 2 hours from Cincy. Just let me know when you plan on being around. There are several great courses in the Nati area.

I wish I had a parks department.

Still inching along, adding fairways at a glacial pace. I did have some friends over a few weeks ago and before we threw we knocked out a quick 100' of fairway in about an hour. I really need to start a monthly work day and invite anyone and everyone down to help. Spend a few hours working, then throw all the holes we have.

Yesterdays wind storms did a good number on my course. Gonna be a long cleanup process

th

.....and then an 80-year-old beech tree falls, and of course it completely covers a teepad & bench. More work. Then we're standing there, examining the wreckage and realize that with the huge tree gone an entirely new, cool fairway possibility has opened up---one that doesn't particularly fit in with the course routing, of course---which might mean much more work to take advantage of it. So I go back and look at the calendar, and don't see where this event was scheduled. Sigh.

Congrats Goose! Welcome to parenthood! To say it's a life changing is quite the understatement. Enjoy every minute of it though, they grow up way too fast.

Thoughts on commercial zero turn mowers?

Using the ridiculous tax credit I got on the geothermal system (thanks Uncle Sam) I'm seriously considering a zero turn.

My typical mowing routine is 2 to 3 hours a couple nights a week and usually another 4 on the weekends. With a wife and 2 little ones that also require my time, I need to cut that number down significantly. Currently using a subcompact tractor w/5' rear PTO finish mower.

I guess it depends on how wide open your fields are. If you have very few trees, I would recommend a tractor with a very wide mowing deck. If you have some trees to zag around, zero turns are great. My grandpa has always had old Farmall tractors with large decks. Just bought a John Deere zero turn... and it is outstanding for around trees.... but mowing his 20 acres of field with it would be stupid. Just my thoughts.

I guess it depends on how wide open your fields are. If you have very few trees, I would recommend a tractor with a very wide mowing deck. If you have some trees to zag around, zero turns are great. My grandpa has always had old Farmall tractors with large decks. Just bought a John Deere zero turn... and it is outstanding for around trees.... but mowing his 20 acres of field with it would be stupid. Just my thoughts.

The open areas are open but not to the extent that I'd gain much by going up to a larger mower which would also require a larger tractor than what I have.

I also mow around dg baskets obviously, and a few areas that have scattered trees/large bushes. This year's budget also includes planting more trees so I think a zero turn is the way to go. I can still use the subcompact tractor for the hillier spots since zero turns get a bit sketchy on the hills and the subcompact has 4x4.

That makes sense.

On my side of things, I finally finished up my tee signs. They will be temporary until Parks makes the really nice metal ones. These will just be laminated and put on a post beside each tee for the time being.

Also updated the course map.

17457872_10102275808104506_1589351812282507900_n.jpg

17554248_10102275753284366_8704070243387472332_n.jpg