• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Expensive for the sake of being expensive

Just to counterpoint the discussion a little bit;

Its one thing for old and desirable plastic to be expensive and sought after by both throwers and collectors, and that really is fine by me.

However, I think a fair frustration is when people would like to buy limited releases of new discs AS THROWERS but can't do it for retail because the "collectors" (who are really just flipping discs short term for profit) buy them all out immediately. It sucks if say, you want to throw a couple McPro aviars but have no choice but to pay somebody an inflated price because they bought 20 on the last restock and out clicked you.

I think that is a fair complaint. However the frustration should be targeted at the manufactures for excessively limiting releases and creating the secondary market by not having bigger runs or restocks.

Yeah I guess that's a fair complaint as well. It's one thing when it's RDG, a 2-man shop who are depending on other companies for manufacturing and have to worry about cash flow and so forth. It's another thing when it's a big operation like Innova. I can understand it when they put out something new like the initial batches of Hannah Terns. They didn't know what the appetite for those would be so they started out with small batches. However, everybody knows they'll sell thousands of McPro Aviars, so you'd think they'd just make a few thousand to begin with... I realize that they are trying to manage their inventory and keep demand high, but sometimes I think they go overboard with those small batches. Also, they could KEEP making batches throughout the year instead of letting the market run dry for months before releasing more.

Innova needs to discontinue the KC Aviar and Roc and start production release of McPro Aviars and Roc3s. In with the new! :cool:

But I'm old.

I saw you on Facebook once, you're not THAT old. :p Seriously though, I don't really care if they put McBeth's name on the KC Pro Aviar/Roc as long as they don't stop producing discs in the Rancho Roc mold and big bead Aviar mold. McPro Roc3s and Aviars are not the same discs as KC Pro Rocs and KC Aviars, no matter what some people on here like to say.

Yeah I guess that's a fair complaint as well. It's one thing when it's RDG, a 2-man shop who are depending on other companies for manufacturing and have to worry about cash flow and so forth. It's another thing when it's a big operation like Innova. I can understand it when they put out something new like the initial batches of Hannah Terns. They didn't know what the appetite for those would be so they started out with small batches. However, everybody knows they'll sell thousands of McPro Aviars, so you'd think they'd just make a few thousand to begin with... I realize that they are trying to manage their inventory and keep demand high, but sometimes I think they go overboard with those small batches. Also, they could KEEP making batches throughout the year instead of letting the market run dry for months before releasing more.

If you think Innova's restocking frequency of McPro's has anything to do with how many they've actually made your crazy. They just don't stamp very many at a time so they can do all the "limited" "exclusive" stamps for every win by the Be4st.

If you think Innova's restocking frequency of McPro's has anything to do with how many they've actually made your crazy. They just don't stamp very many at a time so they can do all the "limited" "exclusive" stamps for every win by the Be4st.

Oh I'm sure you're right. I was more thinking that if they kept stamping and releasing small batches throughout the year they could sell more of them without encouraging the secondary market quite so much. I understand that limited exclusivity creates artificial demand, but I think at this point there's enough people who just want to collect each new stamp that they could release more than they do without destroying demand. Maybe I'm wrong though and restocking more often would kill demand; I'm no expert there.

Innova's not a stupid company. They know that if they produce limited runs of "collector" discs people will buy them at ridiculous prices and then the price of said discs will soar immediately afterward. Bidding wars online will ensue.

People get way too hung up on certain molds. "Oh my god, I just threw my 10 year old, first run_________ into the lake, what am I going to do now?"

All the whining about discs being expensive "for the sake of being expensive" is perpetuated by that attitude.

Some people apparently have more money than common sense.

Disc runs are unique in that the polymers (plastic) used will never be the same twice. The flight characteristics will change considerably with whatevers available when you're ready to mold. Disc manufacturers can only keep so many pellets on hand.
Also, temperature, and relative humidity in the factory play a huge roll in how a disc ends up flying.

So finding an A.J. that flys exactly like a ☆D is a crapshoot at best, anyone who does should consider themselves lucky.
I agree that disc speculators are the scum of the earth, profiting from the misery of others, and they're all going to hell . First world problem. :D

Innova's not a stupid company. They know that if they produce limited runs of "collector" discs people will buy them at ridiculous prices and then the price of said discs will soar immediately afterward. Bidding wars online will ensue.

People get way too hung up on certain molds. "Oh my god, I just threw my 10 year old, first run_________ into the lake, what am I going to do now?"

All the whining about discs being expensive "for the sake of being expensive" is perpetuated by that attitude.

Some people apparently have more money than common sense.

How long have you been playing for?

After 10+ years under my belt, if I lose a beloved disc, you better believe I will pay to find one similar.

Any why not? It's my money.

Some people apparently care too much about what others spend their money on.

Also, Innova could care less about the aftermarket sales.

You know, I paid $40 for a CE Valkyrie. It's a beautiful opaque orange with some swirling, has an amazing blue shatter stamp. Had a big black star on the back when I bought it but had only maybe five throws on it. It is not like any other Valkyrie I have thrown, it is considerably more over stable and I love it. I can throw it flat and hard and get a perfect distance s curve for 400. Since it was inked already, I added mine with a note that says $20 reward for return of disc. And if I ever see another exactly like this one I would pay far more than $40 for it. Far, far more.

And if I ever see another exactly like this one I would pay far more than $40 for it. Far, far more.

How much will you pay for replacement If/when your first one explodes into a million pieces with a hard tree hit? Lots of stable valks out there.... Just say in....

Some people apparently care too much about what others spend their money on.

Seriously. It's like, "I don't know you or anything about you aside from your profile on DGCR, but how dare you enjoy my chosen sport in a way that I don't approve of or even understand. Oh, and be sure to spend your money, money that you've earned, in any way other than the way you want." Lol.

Also, Innova could care less about the aftermarket sales.

Not TOTALLY sure about this. I bet they care a LITTLE bit how their products are sold in the aftermarket. I bet they'd prefer that at least some of their products appreciate over time and become collectible. It might not directly affect their bottom line but I think it's a prestige thing they like.

How much will you pay for replacement If/when your first one explodes into a million pieces with a hard tree hit? Lots of stable valks out there.... Just say in....

If it's a 2nd run ce valk no other valk comes close to the stability of them, they start out near firebird overstable. Hard to believe their even valks.

If it's a 2nd run ce valk no other valk comes close to the stability of them, they start out near firebird overstable. Hard to believe their even valks.

So that raises the question, why not just buy a 15 dollar firebird. Instead of paying through the nose for a freak, not supposed to fly like that, "Valkyrie".

I don't get the angle, and I'm not opposed to spending bucks on discs either. :confused:

I think that the only legitimate complaint about the disc collector market comes from the people who would really LIKE to throw CE/PFN/11x/whatever older run discs because they grew up throwing that stuff and they want replacements for their aging throwers, but they can't afford to buy them anymore (or more likely they don't WANT to pay the asking prices for throwers).

I seriously doubt that.
As someone thats been playing awhile, most dudes I know my age don't bother with spending an arm and a leg on replacing anything exactly cause its a losing game.
I don't see any point in hunting down CE, for instance, cause its rapidly degrading at this point, and the idea of "investing" in plastic seems ludicrous.

There are too many good new options out there for smart folks to enjoy and get exactly what they want for way cheaper. And much more replaceable than they ever were before.

In my experience, the people that are bidding up old school discs aren't the same people that threw them when they were knew, cause those folks are actually still throwing discs, not staring at them in a bin, lol. Seems like there is a definite age gap in the "collector" market, honestly, that skews way younger than what is the assumed age of a collector.

Old school dudes still know how to find what they need on the cheap, even if it is from a new company, just like they always did.
(For point of reference, I bought most of my first Innova from a bike repair shop, lol. There probably wasn't another place to buy discs for 300 miles at the time. I do still have my first Aviar and Zephyr though...)

Last edited:

Latest posts