• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Expensive for the sake of being expensive

I loved me some talons. I see they are 20 bucks on the factory store, is that what you are referring to?

Yup. You can tell I don't throw much expensive plastic if I'm complaining about $19.99 ;) I think my most expensive disc, currently, is a Fly Dye Comet.

People are idiots when it comes to paying ridiculous amounts for discs. Case in point, Augusta CFR Wraiths and 1st run Star Destroyers. Those discs were very commonplace just a few years ago and now fetch in excess of $75 online. It's the same damn disc it was 5 years ago.

Remember, for every good mold/disc out there, there's something else that will suit your game every bit as well.... and for a lot less money.

Get paid for this that are exactly how you want them, but I don't get it where there are basically the same thing available for less. I love FAF Champ Firebirds.

I have own 4 paid less than $10 for three of them, you don't have to shell out big bucks to get great plastic.

People are idiots when it comes to paying ridiculous amounts for discs. Case in point, Augusta CFR Wraiths and 1st run Star Destroyers. Those discs were very commonplace just a few years ago and now fetch in excess of $75 online. It's the same damn disc it was 5 years ago.

Remember, for every good mold/disc out there, there's something else that will suit your game every bit as well.... and for a lot less money.

Here's the problem. I know how those expensive discs fly because I've bought most of them new. Why do I want to mess around trying to find something similar, especially since its probably not really going to be similar ?
I would probably end up with a bunch of useless discs, and spend more than I would have on the one disc I really wanted.
So the math doesnt work.
Why do people spend money on a Mercedes or a BMW, when a Kia performs the same and cost less than half as much ?
I will always pay more for fundraiser discs, because these are the " girl scout cookies" of our sport, and its worth the investment.
11X Gazelles were more expensive than regular Champ discs, even when they were first released, so they have always been premium priced.
If you are new to the sport, then yes, buy whatevers cheap, it doesnt matter, you wouldnt understand the difference anyways, but if you get used to something, your comfortable with it, and you rely on it, then why mess around.

There is NO Star Destroyer that has been run since those original ☆D's were, that flies the same. Anyone who throws them knows that. So good. Worth every penny they cost now.

Here's the problem. I know how those expensive discs fly because I've bought most of them new. Why do I want to mess around trying to find something similar, especially since its probably not really going to be similar ?
I would probably end up with a bunch of useless discs, and spend more than I would have on the one disc I really wanted.
So the math doesnt work.

This. Some of the discs I throw cost a little extra and are harder to find (older). How many new molds would I have to try before I found a suitable replacement? If its 3 or more it makes way more sense to just spend the little extra for the more expensive stuff and know I'm getting exactly the same thing I've been throwing forever.

I've got a *D that flies exactly the same as an AJ I bought last year. It's in your head.

I don't see the appeal of the *D 's either. I have one. It's 30-50 feet shorter then my other ones. To each their own tho.

I don't see the appeal of the *D 's either. I have one. It's 30-50 feet shorter then my other ones. To each their own tho.

How is a *d 50 ft shorter than your other destroyers? *d were bombers out of the box. That really makes no sense. I've sold at least 20 proto *d and have a bunch left. also have two in the bag, I have never thrown a *d that was shorter than other destroyers especially new.

Or it is about exactly what disc golf is supposed to be about: having fun.
Remember what Steady Ed said: "Whoever has the most fun wins."

If chasing rarer discs or tracking down a stack of long OOP throwers is fun, go for it. If it makes you happy to have a particular run, grip, plastic, stamp, whatever, and it makes you smile when you pull it out of your bag, then you are winning. I'll admit I don't get collecting for the sake of putting discs in plastic bags and putting those bags into a box, but I don't have to be into what you are into. I do, however, like knowing exactly the difference between each year of USDGC Rocs, or the different PD runs, or how all the old Millennium stuff feels and flies. I throw them all. And I shower with some. And I pass them on to my friends so that they can throw all the fancy discs too. Because they are Frisbees.

This thread is dumb. Throw what makes you smile. Get out there and frolf bro.

:clap::clap:

How is a *d 50 ft shorter than your other destroyers? *d were bombers out of the box. That really makes no sense. I've sold at least 20 proto *d and have a bunch left. also have two in the bag, I have never thrown a *d that was shorter than other destroyers especially new.

Just my experience. Ive only thrown the one I have and it was somewhat beat when I got it. It just doesn't glide like the ones I like.

There is and has so far has never been any disc that flies the same as a seasoned PFN Star TeeBird. For me it has the perfect combination of stableness (without being overstable), glide, tactile feel, distance, speed, line shaping ability, and low to the ground ground-effect lift.

This is not something that is in my mind. I have tried numerous discs from many manufacturers; I have even tried seasoning the you-know-what out of recent runs of Star TeeBirds and it is still not the same.

To make matters worse, I am somewhat of a color snob when it comes to my tournament set-up. I want everything white or black (preferably white) and at least 168g but preferably around 170-172g. I am not as picky for back-ups as long as it is not red - which is unfortunately one of Innova's favorite colors to produce. The last two I have found online were being sold as part of lots and I could not justify spending even more money on other equally expensive discs just to get the ones I want. For now, I am settling on using Star Gazelles in this spot (which in their own right are expensive). Gazelles are awesome discs, but they do not have the length that PFN Star TeeBirds; same everything else but about 30-40 feet shorter.

People are idiots for getting worked up and ranting about what others are willing to spend their discretionary income on.

Or it is about exactly what disc golf is supposed to be about: having fun.
Remember what Steady Ed said: "Whoever has the most fun wins."

If chasing rarer discs or tracking down a stack of long OOP throwers is fun, go for it. If it makes you happy to have a particular run, grip, plastic, stamp, whatever, and it makes you smile when you pull it out of your bag, then you are winning. I'll admit I don't get collecting for the sake of putting discs in plastic bags and putting those bags into a box, but I don't have to be into what you are into. I do, however, like knowing exactly the difference between each year of USDGC Rocs, or the different PD runs, or how all the old Millennium stuff feels and flies. I throw them all. And I shower with some. And I pass them on to my friends so that they can throw all the fancy discs too. Because they are Frisbees.

This thread is dumb. Throw what makes you smile. Get out there and frolf bro.

/Thread

I don't know why people buy these........

Attachments

• 2014_audi_a3_30_tdi_review_01-1028-900x480.jpg
    2014_audi_a3_30_tdi_review_01-1028-900x480.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 23
When they could buy this........:D:D:D

Attachments

• yahoo_garay_car1.jpg
    yahoo_garay_car1.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 18
The price of a disc really only matters to the buyer and the seller. If those two folks agree on the terms of the sale and make a deal, then that's the price. End of story.

Anyone else commenting is just a navel gazer. If the price seems too high to you, then don't buy the disc. The buyer and seller don't have to explain or justify their actions to every online hater.

I think that the only legitimate complaint about the disc collector market comes from the people who would really LIKE to throw CE/PFN/11x/whatever older run discs because they grew up throwing that stuff and they want replacements for their aging throwers, but they can't afford to buy them anymore (or more likely they don't WANT to pay the asking prices for throwers). I can get that; I've been there.

I have a single 2013 AJ Tour Series Star Teebird that's been in my bag since 2013 and recently I've noticed it's not quite as OS as it once was, so I went looking for a backup/replacement. The AJ Tour Series are more OS than standard Star Teebirds, and I'd rather have a Star than a Champ disc in that slot (more OS than standard Star, but less so than my 2013 Brinster). So I started bidding on DDGA auctions for them (which is a fool's game, but oh well). During the last auction, the person bidding me up commented with his bid something like "What a beauty, I'll add it to my stack of these." With my next bid, I commented that I was just looking for a thrower to replacement my single aging thrower, and he was kind enough to let me win the auction after that (which was good because I wasn't going any higher). I'm sure the sell wished I'd kept my big mouth shut, but it didn't really matter because I wasn't going to pay any more than that anyway.

However, I've been on the selling side of the market way more than the buying side and made way more money selling older discs to collectors than I've spent replacing my throwers, so I really don't have a leg to stand on when it comes to complaining about the market (so I usually don't). I can see how there are occasions where one might complain about it, but I don't think my case was the typical transaction. I don't think the majority of people buying/selling collectible discs aren't in my sort of situation. Honestly though, the next time this comes around and I have the same problem, I won't buy paying whatever the asking prices are for 2013 AJ Tour Series Teebirds because they'll probably be like $60 by then. I'll just move on and find something else for that slot, which will be fine. Everyone has to move on and throw something new at some point; it's just a question of when.

I hear ya on this topic. When i see prices like 80$+ on 1 disc, it IS kinda ridiculous.
But for certain ones, I spend anywhere from 20-30 on a disc i want. If it's specific, color, blend, special run, the most I do is 35 . Which i have done and do not regret, I like my bag to be very specific to what I want, as well as pretty.

I think that the only legitimate complaint about the disc collector market comes from the people who would really LIKE to throw CE/PFN/11x/whatever older run discs because they grew up throwing that stuff and they want replacements for their aging throwers, but they can't afford to buy them anymore (or more likely they don't WANT to pay the asking prices for throwers). I can get that; I've been there.

I have a single 2013 AJ Tour Series Star Teebird that's been in my bag since 2013 and recently I've noticed it's not quite as OS as it once was, so I went looking for a backup/replacement. The AJ Tour Series are more OS than standard Star Teebirds, and I'd rather have a Star than a Champ disc in that slot (more OS than standard Star, but less so than my 2013 Brinster). So I started bidding on DDGA auctions for them (which is a fool's game, but oh well). During the last auction, the person bidding me up commented with his bid something like "What a beauty, I'll add it to my stack of these." With my next bid, I commented that I was just looking for a thrower to replacement my single aging thrower, and he was kind enough to let me win the auction after that (which was good because I wasn't going any higher). I'm sure the sell wished I'd kept my big mouth shut, but it didn't really matter because I wasn't going to pay any more than that anyway.

However, I've been on the selling side of the market way more than the buying side and made way more money selling older discs to collectors than I've spent replacing my throwers, so I really don't have a leg to stand on when it comes to complaining about the market (so I usually don't). I can see how there are occasions where one might complain about it, but I don't think my case was the typical transaction. I don't think the majority of people buying/selling collectible discs aren't in my sort of situation. Honestly though, the next time this comes around and I have the same problem, I won't buy paying whatever the asking prices are for 2013 AJ Tour Series Teebirds because they'll probably be like $60 by then. I'll just move on and find something else for that slot, which will be fine. Everyone has to move on and throw something new at some point; it's just a question of when.

you know what you need....a Tyrant ;) sooooooon

you know what you need....a Tyrant ;) sooooooon

Yessir, that's what I want! However, after seeing the turn on that Tyrant in Jamie's test video, I'm wondering if it will be more like a regular Star Teebird for me. I don't have a huge arm, but I can throw close to 400 on golf lines (more like 425 in a field). Some regular Star Teebirds have a little wiggle for me out of the box (and some don't). I'm thinking the Tyrant might be more like that, which would be fine with me, but in that case it wouldn't take over the slot my AJ TB holds which took years to get any wiggle at all. I'll see whenever they are finally released; I'll definitely be picking a few up regardless.

Just to counterpoint the discussion a little bit;

Its one thing for old and desirable plastic to be expensive and sought after by both throwers and collectors, and that really is fine by me.

However, I think a fair frustration is when people would like to buy limited releases of new discs AS THROWERS but can't do it for retail because the "collectors" (who are really just flipping discs short term for profit) buy them all out immediately. It sucks if say, you want to throw a couple McPro aviars but have no choice but to pay somebody an inflated price because they bought 20 on the last restock and out clicked you.

I think that is a fair complaint. However the frustration should be targeted at the manufactures for excessively limiting releases and creating the secondary market by not having bigger runs or restocks.