• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Extending Distance with Putters and Mids

dwalk77

Par Member
I've noticed there's a lot of talk about getting putter distance out to ~250 and mids out to ~300 or further. I am nowhere near that right now, but I'd like to put some more focus on that aspect of my game.

A couple questions come to mind, for those that do get that distance or are approaching it:

1. What grip do you use for driving putters/mids? (Should I be using a power grip for driving putters)

2. What putters/mids do you drive with in 10-15 mph wind (please include plastic type)?

The key to getting to 250 putters and 300 mids is playing catch with someone that throws that distance easily and smoothly.

I've noticed there's a lot of talk about getting putter distance out to ~250 and mids out to ~300 or further. I am nowhere near that right now, but I'd like to put some more focus on that aspect of my game.

A couple questions come to mind, for those that do get that distance or are approaching it:

1. What grip do you use for driving putters/mids? (Should I be using a power grip for driving putters)

2. What putters/mids do you drive with in 10-15 mph wind (please include plastic type)?

I use the same grip for every backhand shot. If your goal is absolute distance with putters and mids then i would expect that the power grip would be the way to go.

There are tons of mids and putters to throw into headwinds. Just find stable to overstable discs and go from there. The only thing I will say about plastic type is that premium plastics tend to hold lines less so with that they hold up to the wind better to me.

1) I powergrip all my discs for throwing, thus use shallow putters. But you can as well use a fan grip, if that feels better for you. That shouldn't matter much.

2) Into stronger headwinds I use more overstable putters, just like I use more overstable drivers. There's not difference. Tell us what discs you have, so we can tell you if and how we would throw them.

I just power grip everything, it depends on what you're used to and your hand size. You don't need to get your fingertips into the flight plate like they might feel on a driver...just mess around with where the fingers end up on the deeper discs.

As far as with wind, in 10-15MPH wind I won't be throwing my typical putters/mids if it's headwind. In tailwind I will definitely throw any neutral putter/mid, they will carry extremely well. Just give them more height...but not nose up or they'll get pushed down. Right to left wind for RHBH they will carry hyzers extremely far. Left to right wind they can get pushed to the right more than you expected so be careful.

In headwinds I would go to a much more stable mold like a Zone for a putter, in mids I usually use a Verdict and if it's too windy for that I'll go up to a fairway. Another reason I don't really throw mids into heavy headwind, is even if they can handle the wind for stability, the blunter shape of them means they'll lose a lot of distance. They don't cut through like a driver. So if it's a reasonable headwind I'll just go to something that will cut through better along with being OS so that I can predict the distance a little bit more consistently.

Mids/putters in tailwinds are great, basically any neutral putter and for mids anything "normal" like Roc/Buzzz/Mako3, and of course the Comet is incredible in tailwinds but not so much in head or crosswind.

1) Tell us what discs you have, so we can tell you if and how we would throw them.

Thanks for the responses thus far..
Right now I have a 175g Supersoft Wizard, a 172g Elite Z Buzzz, and a 175g VIP Anvil..

I play on a windy course, and I find myself more comfortable throwing the Anvil for that reason. Should the buzzz and wizard hold up in 10-15 mph headwind?

I was considering getting a Firm Wizard and a KC Pro Roc for a little more stability than the current Wizard/Buzzz, but I'm not sure that's necessary..

I like to keep the discs in my bag to a minimum, so I'd rather not have more than 1 putter and 2 mids or vice versa..

Last edited:
Right now I have a 175g Supersoft Wizard, a 172g Elite Z Buzzz, and a 175g VIP Anvil..

I play on a windy course, and I find myself more comfortable throwing the Anvil for that reason. Should the buzzz and wizard hold up in 10-15 mph headwind?

I was considering getting a Firm Wizard and a KC Pro Roc for a little more stability than the current Wizard/Buzzz, but I'm not sure that's necessary..

I like to keep the discs in my bag to a minimum, so I'd rather not have more than 1 putter and 2 mids or vice versa..

Wizard and Buzz can hold up to the headwinds but you have to have good form and you can't roll your wrist. A fresh firm wizard and KC roc in my mind would be better suited to the headwind but they will still flip over if not thrown correctly. I throw KC aviars and rocs and use them regularly into wind and I dont have issues but I know how to throw them into the wind to get them to do what I want them to do.

Your anvil and wizard are good choices for the wind but you should maybe try something a bit more overstable to see what you like best. Maybe a zone or harp for the putter and maybe try a gator/mortar/caiman, verdict, drone, envy or an A2

In a 10-15MPH headwind I'd be grabbing the Anvil...but not expecting much distance out of it. In a tailwind or crosswind the Wizard and Buzzz will work as long as you are aware of your wing and nose angles.

A KC Roc is a different type of mid from the Buzzz, but still a go-to do everything mid like the Buzzz is. If you're a bag minimalist then it's likely an either/or thing with the Buzzz/Roc.

I've never really gotten the hang of driving with my putters. Recently, I was playing a short course and drove with two of mine ( a Champion Dart and a Nova), I was trying to throw both flat, but they both turned and burned.
I feel like I could throw them straight, but would have to put a hyzer angle on them. Is that the secret to throwing putters (and hopefully everything else) longer, or am I not generating enough power on these putter drives?
What's the secret in throwing putter drives, in order to increase overall distance?
:popcorn:

Last edited:
1. 2 finger fan grip, and I'm getting 250~ 300~ putters/mods most of the time. Try less to throw it hard, and try more to throw it smooth. Good angle control, nose angle, and spin is what I have found gets the slow stuff out farther.

2. Classic aviars, rhynos, rocs. Regardless of wind. Again, it's about angles to me.

The catch tip is a great one. Get a friend and a field. Start close-ish to each other, move farther away each throw. You will be surprised how far you can already accurately throw a putter or mid, and how much less effort you put in to it. Just have a fun game of catch!

I've never really gotten the hang of driving with my putters. Recently, I was playing a short course and drove with two of mine ( a Champion Dart and a Nova), I was trying to throw both flat, but they both turned and burned.
I feel like I could throw them straight, but would have to put a hyzer angle on them. Is that the secret to throwing putters (and hopefully everything else) longer, or am I not generating enough power on these putter drives?
What's the secret in throwing putter drives, in order to increase overall distance?
:popcorn:

Turning and burning is not a good sign. Turning over and diving to the ground after 150'+ can happen with VERY understable putters. The Nova is tricky to grip and release right until you get the hang of it, but I have thrown them very hard and flat and gotten like 300' flights, so they can take power. Plus you can see McBeth pump them flat for 350+ many times in tourney footage.

Most putters don't need more than a touch of hyzer release and that's mostly so you feel comfortable with your release. I think you'd be best off just throwing approach shots from like 100' away from something, and step back the distance a bit at a time. Say that you don't trust throwing putters over 200', then start at 150' until you feel super confident. Then add 20' or so at a time. See if there's some point where you're muscling it or doing something weird so it "suddenly" starts flipping. Because if it suddenly burns into the ground but it wasn't doing that at a slightly shorter distance...then you know it's you. And keep working at closer to the farthest range that you feel confident at, rather than the range where you're likely to burn it badly.

Of course if there's a headwind...then this isn't the best thing to try to work out with discs like this. They'll punish you very badly for mild mistakes in wind.

Yeah I throw aviars on just a bit of hyzer and they pop up to flat and carry. If I throw them flat they don't turn so much as slide right a little. In both throws they finish left of center though. Not a ton left, but left none the less.

A wizard shouldn't really turn over and not come back. None of the discs you listed should be turning and burning really. Sounds like you have some oat to work out.

I throw my S Wizards pretty exclusively. They're 3-5 years old at this point, and still hold up just fine in headwinds.

Grip is important.

You shouldn't need to put any serious amount of hyzer on them, but I would suggest throwing pure hyzer lines to improve putter throws in general. That's the benefit to a neutral to slightly overstable putter; when you put them on a line, they hold it basically to the ground.

I throw my S Wizards pretty exclusively. They're 3-5 years old at this point, and still hold up just fine in headwinds.

Grip is important.

You shouldn't need to put any serious amount of hyzer on them, but I would suggest throwing pure hyzer lines to improve putter throws in general. That's the benefit to a neutral to slightly overstable putter; when you put them on a line, they hold it basically to the ground.

But if I have to put a hyzer angle (even small) on a putter to throw it well, how does that help me with drivers? If I put any hyzer on those (even 7-9 speed) then they hyzer off left, well before flattening out?

But if I have to put a hyzer angle (even small) on a putter to throw it well, how does that help me with drivers? If I put any hyzer on those (even 7-9 speed) then they hyzer off left, well before flattening out?
You may not be getting the drivers up to speed or you're throwing decidedly overstable drivers. Most putters and mids like to be hyzer-flipped b/c they're much easier to hit or exceed their cruising speed and glide out rather than cut through the air.

You don't have to throw them on hyzers, I just think that's the best shot to throw to get the feel for them. When you're throwing the hyzers, you want them to be holding the hyzer angle the whole way.

You can throw anhyzers, but it's harder to tell if it's holding true on the anhyzer or being OATed into an anhyzer.

Get some flippier drivers. I love my 150g DX Leopards. Hyzer flip to anhyzer is a very nice shot to be able to throw.

I can throw my putter 250 with a tight fan grip (Maiden). I can throw my mids 260. Fairways up to 280. Drivers 300. I feel like something is seriously wrong with my distance throwing as the spread in distance between my slowest and fastest discs is~ 50 feet. Is this a normal plateau to hit during a player's progression?

I can throw my putter 250 with a tight fan grip (Maiden). I can throw my mids 260. Fairways up to 280. Drivers 300. I feel like something is seriously wrong with my distance throwing as the spread in distance between my slowest and fastest discs is~ 50 feet. Is this a normal plateau to hit during a player's progression?

I think it should be more like 30~ feet between each disc. Putters 270 mids 300 fairways 330 distance drivers 350-370 is pretty common set for more advanced players. Drivers are much more sensitive for nose up flights and rely more on late acceleration(snap/hit) to fly properly. But dont worry its perfectly normal.

Typically that indicates a nose up flight; putters handle nose-up the best since they are so slow and typically have minimal fade.

Latest posts