• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fairway Driver Suggestions

kingkoala42

Hello all!

I need help selecting a fairway driver for this season. Last season I tried to narrow down my bag to try to really improve so this season I can expand a bit.

Last years bag:

Putters:
2x D-line P2s for putting (if anybody knows an easier to find disc that is similar I'm open to suggestions)
1x Opto Keystone for short drives and approaches
1x Zone for approaches where I needed more stability

Midranges:
3x C-line MD3 (once again, if anybody knows a similar disc that is easier to find I'm open to suggestions) in different stages of wear for any shot that was too far for my putters
1x Mako3 not really used much anymore

Drivers:
none

I'm looking for an stable to overstable fairway driver that is preferably a 7 speed to start using this season. I will probably buy a few and cycle them as I did with my MD3s. I enjoyed the limited amount of molds I carried last season. I know that the teebird gets recommended often but I have tried a few out and they didn't really feel great to me. I've also held an Undertaker (but never thrown one) and it felt pretty good but I would prefer something below a 9 speed (although the rim on the Undertaker felt a bit smaller than any other 9 speed I've thrown).

Thanks for the help everybody!

I pretty much had Teebird typed out until I got to that part.

How about the Eagle? I also really like the Prodigy F2, though no one seems to ever talk about them.

How far do you throw? Lots of 8 speed fairways to choose from. Not a ton of 7 speed.

Teebirb 3 was my first thought. Buddy just got the Barela color glow and loves them.

I prefer discraft produced or mvp produced plastic

Last edited:
Popular: Teeebird, Eagle, Explorer, Pipeline

I like the Eagle and the TL quite a lot. If you feel like your arm speed is a little slower (like mine), the TL is a nice option. It has a little fade and no turn.

The Diamond from Dynamic Discs should also be on your list.

I'm a big fan of the Axiom Crave. Its a Teebird-esque slower fairway driver. I throw mine around 300'. Its a straight to slight fade disc for me at that range.

Mine is a fairly flat plasma.

I throw a lot of these speed 7/8's ...

Overstable: Champion Eagle, Star Eagle, Resistor
Stable: TL3, S-Line FD, C-Line FD, Crave, Champion Leopard 3, G-Star Eagle X or L

I like them all. I have a Centurion and Exodus on the way and looking forwards to trying them.

Thanks for the suggestions so far everybody! I'll see if I can find an eagle to test out for sure. I can drive accurately around 300-350'.

As far as something to replace those difficult to find P2's and MD3's, I would probably suggest looking into the Infinite Discs lineup.

I'm hard pressed to tell the difference between my P2's and the Alpaca.

I played with a guy who swore that the Chariot was pretty much the same as the MD3. I haven't thrown it but he handed me one of his and holding it side by side with my MD3 it pretty much looked identical.

Good luck with your speed 7 search. There are some good ones out there. I'm an FD guy and fortunately I have enough to them to last me quite a while.

Another thought...

Since you have a couple of 5 speeds in a minimalist style bag, maybe a 9 speed would serve to make your bag a bit more versatile.

Try a Fission Volt. It's a bit faster than a 7, but does what you are asking for very well. Basically Teebird flight with a different feel.

Try a Fission Volt. It's a bit faster than a 7, but does what you are asking for very well. Basically Teebird flight with a different feel.

This. ^^^^^

Straight to fade at OPs distances, this disc is ideal. They have several plastics and weights to try.

Plenty of others to suggest but i have thrown these for years and its the one i can recommend from experience.

Latest posts