• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fairway Drivers v. Distance Drivers

Mostly Fairway or Distance drivers?

• Fairway Drivers.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Distance Drivers.

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Ripper899

I have lately been debating whether it would be wise to switch to more controllable fairway drivers and sacrificing some distance. My drivers mostly consist of wraiths, destroyers, etc. I do not like carrying a thousand discs. At the moment I have about 11 drivers in my bag and want to keep it that way. I was curious what everyones opinion's were about switching to mostly controllable drivers and keeping only one or two bombers in my bag.

I can throw about 400' average. How far could I throw a fairway driver?

with proper form, i imagine you could throw a fairway driver 370-380.

it wouldn't hurt to try it out, but i think wraiths are very controllable for distance drivers. distance drivers are usually better in the wind also.

just sacrifice the space in your bag to try some control drivers. it's hard to tell you what you're going to like.

If you want some of the control from fairway drivers to distance drivers, throw stable to overstable distance discs, like Teerex, Firebird, Monster, etc. They sure aren't as controllable as fairway drivers, but much more versatile than the understable ones. I throw most of my distance throws with the Rexes, and use Valks only for turnovers that wont fade.

summa summarum: you can't have both, but you can try to compensate it with wise disc choices.

You might not find a huge difference between how far you throw distance drivers and some of the longer fairway drivers. Right now my distance driver is a Destroyer but I only throw it when there aren't many obstacles and the extra distance will really help. There are a lot of holes I play that the extra distance of a Destroyer won't help but the accuracy of a fairway driver will.

When I sit down and analyze what I throw after a round I only really throw distance drivers on one or two holes on most courses and 4 on one course around here, most days I throw eagles as much as possible because Star Eagles are the best discs ever.

Ripper899 said:
I was curious what everyones opinion's were about switching to mostly controllable drivers and keeping only one or two bombers in my bag.
Try it for a little while. It won't take long before you see the bentfits. You'll probably be throwing your fairway drivers in the 350'-380' range so there won't really be a whole lot of times when you want the distance drivers.

Fairway drivers for me

Right now I have 3 different drivers, all fairway drivers:

Champion TeeBird
Champion Banshee
Star Leopard

works perfectly for me :D

I tend to use all distance drivers. Any distance too short for them I use the buzz or wasp for.

However, on some shorter more technical courses I may throw in a champion eagle for low accurate shots. But for the open courses its distance drivers and mids.

I've been nearly out driving my Surges with my Teebird lately. So I'm gonna try the TB out for a while as mine main driver and correct some form issues.

twmccoy said:
I tend to use all distance drivers. Any distance too short for them I use the buzz or wasp for.

However, on some shorter more technical courses I may throw in a champion eagle for low accurate shots. But for the open courses its distance drivers and mids.

I also tend to use mostly Wraiths and the TeeRex and anything shorter throw a Roc. But recently do to a broken shoulder I've started throwing my TeeBirds again and have fallen back in love with them. So, I still primarily throw distance drivers, but that TeeBird comes out more often than any other single driver in my bag.

i mostly have distance drivers in my bag and have just resently started using fairway drivers

i have found now i use my fairway drivers almost as much as my distance drivers becuase most of the holes around here are around 300-350ft long but when i need the big sweeping hyzer or a forehand shot i end up using a distance driver.

The only fairway drivers that I have in the bag are TeeBirds. But if I want the same flight out of a distance driver I'll go to me TeeRex. It's just like a longer, faster TeeBird. I'm in the same boat as you for distance and most of the holes on my home course hover at about 325 foot range. My average distance for my TeeBird (when I really get on it) is about 360' but that requires more height than throwing the TeeRex.

I would tell you to keep both the distance drivers and fairway drivers in your bag and find use both consistently to find out your comfortable range and flight lines with both. If I really had no space and could only choose one disc I would go with the distance driver. If you really want to push the minimalistic idea and can throw your mids ~300' then there would be no need for fairway drivers at all.

Just my $.02.

I like the fairway drivers- especially the Banshee/Teebird/Leopard setup mentioned before. I would substitute a Predator for the Banshee, though.
It is accuracy over distance. When I first started playing, I used to throw the latest and greatest high speed drivers. I initially liked the distance and swallowed the slight loss of accuracy but eventually became dismayed with the trade-off. So I tried the fairway drivers and got the accuracy back. With the increased accuracy I found myself in the fairway more often, especially when comparing a Teebird to a Force/XCaliber/Destroyer/enter the newest, fastest disc here.
What it boils down to is: I will be happier with my Teebird in the middle of the fairway with a cleaner look at the basket than my Force 60' further up but in the brush. I imagine you would be, too.

The other day I went to a nearby soccer field and threw 15 drivers back and forth. I decided to play a game where the shortest disc was deleted from the game. Well the Star Destroyer won, followed by a Elite Z Flash, and coming in a close third was a Champion Teebird. I almost never throw the Champ Teebird but I will be now. It was very straight and was generally 10-20 feet shorter than the Destroyer. I know I don't really have the arm to make the Destroyer do what it can do so I think that a slightly shorter but more accurate disc, the Teebird will be my go to driver for the straight shot with fade at the end.

marmoset said:
I like the fairway drivers- especially the Banshee/Teebird/Leopard setup mentioned before. I would substitute a Predator for the Banshee, though.

Yeah I really like the Pred too, but since it has a huge bead my hand dosn't really likes it. Since I kicked out all my fast drivers my game has improved greatly!

Latest posts