• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Family Friendly Course in Madison, WI ?

ThrowBot

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Hey everyone,

I'm going to be in Madison this Friday and I am looking for a course that I can visit while hanging out with my family.

A course with a nearby playground would be perfect so that the fam can chill (assuming they don't want to follow me all the way through the course). A beginner-friendly course would be great in case my sister or brother-in-law want to try out the sport!

I know that there are a bunch of courses in the Madison area and I'm probably going to miss out on some cool places, but a family friendly area would really help me sneak in a round of disc.

Thanks in advance!

Hey everyone,

I'm going to be in Madison this Friday and I am looking for a course that I can visit while hanging out with my family.

A course with a nearby playground would be perfect so that the fam can chill (assuming they don't want to follow me all the way through the course). A beginner-friendly course would be great in case my sister or brother-in-law want to try out the sport!

I know that there are a bunch of courses in the Madison area and I'm probably going to miss out on some cool places, but a family friendly area would really help me sneak in a round of disc.

Thanks in advance!

I would recommend the 9 hole course in Evansville, about 20-25 mins south of Madison. It has two sets of tee pads and two sets of Discatchers on each hole, except the 9th island hole has one basket but two tee pads. It's very family friendly, free, and play areas for the kids. The 4 main Madison courses are all pay to play, from $5-8, so Evansville would be more what you're looking for. It's a really nice park, a small creek runs through it and it comes into play 4 holes. You'll love the park, and the course is one of the best 9 hole courses around. The short baskets are yellow band and the longs are blue band.

If you don't want to drive that far, Elver, Heistand, or Token Creek would all work, but they are not beginner friendly courses imo. Heistand is right across from the Glide disc golf shop.

Woody you need to call me. I will also be in Madison this friday, so we need to reconnect for sure.

Johnson park in Maple Bluff is a perfect beginner course. It's 6 holes with the longest one being only about 250 i think, but most of the holes are 150. There are barely any people there either so it makes it easy to learn and throw lots of discs.

About 10 minutes from there is Hiestand park. It has two sets of tee pads on every hole and there are 18 holes. While the short tee pads aren't exactly "beginner", there are still a lot of easier shots. Bonus, there is a playground and a big field at Hiestand park AND there is Glide Disc Golf Shop across the street from hole 1!

Thanks for the feedback everyone! It looks like my plans are changing a little bit, but some if this info may come in handy if I'm ever back in the area. (Or if I manage to get my niece and nephew interested in the game.)