• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fan Out Tee Pad

Do you like additional width at the end of the tee pad?

• Yes

Votes: 40 76.9%
  • No

Votes: 12 23.1%

• Total voters
Here at my local course, we have finally gotten the ok from the Park Director to installed concrete tee pads. As I have been to lots of courses throughout the US, I have noticed that more and more are add side flares to end of the pad (triangles in my attachment).

I am wondering what others think of wider portion at the end of the pad? Also, with this addition of width to end of the pad, would it still PDGA approved?

I appreciate all the feedback and thoughts that everyone has. I am looking for the best first impression with our new Park Director.

Attachments

• Slide1.JPG
    Slide1.JPG
    18 KB · Views: 61
Here at my local course, we have finally gotten the ok from the Park Director to installed concrete tee pads. As I have been to lots of courses throughout the US, I have noticed that more and more are add side flares to end of the pad (triangles in my attachment).

I am wondering what others think of wider portion at the end of the pad? Also, with this addition of width to end of the pad, would it still PDGA approved?

I appreciate all the feedback and thoughts that everyone has. I am looking for the best first impression with our new Park Director.

There is no such thing as "PDGA approved" when it comes to tee pads. As long as the boundaries of the pad are clearly defined, it can take any shape you want.

Trapezoidal tee pads are not uncommon, and your proposed "side flares" don't seem all that different. I say if the parks are good with it, go for it.

If there are significantly different multiple routes, yes- so you can angle your run-up accordingly. If there's only one direction to throw, it wouldn't really matter to me.

The PDGA has suggestions and recommendations for tee pad dimensions, but beyond that they aren't involved in 'approving' course features (other than baskets). Tapered tee pads are pretty common, although many times they taper all the way from the back end of the tee (e.g. tee pad is 5ft. wide at the back, and 6ft. wide at the front).

Oh, it's only semi-related, but one of the PDGA recommendations on tee pads is 12ft. in length. At 10ft., if you're wanting/expecting players to be throwing full-power drives, you'll likely have a fair few players starting their throw back behind the tee pad.

If there are significantly different multiple routes, yes- so you can angle your run-up accordingly. If there's only one direction to throw, it wouldn't really matter to me.
What he said.

Yes, the pads would taper the whole length of the pad. Could not really get a good representation with my drawing skills.

At this course there is plenty of room behind the pad so that players could start on flat ground. I do understand that the transition between dirt and concrete might be a problem as players might trip, but I assure you that will not be the case.

I can't tell which side of the pad you would be flaring out (toward or away from basket). I wish the tees where I am were wider at the backs and narrowed towards the basket. The dirt washes away around the edge and creates a step up that messes with me when I'm not walking inline with the tee.

I can't tell which side of the pad you would be flaring out (toward or away from basket). I wish the tees where I am were wider at the backs and narrowed towards the basket. The dirt washes away around the edge and creates a step up that messes with me when I'm not walking inline with the tee.

He was asking our opinion. I think narrower at front better. On courses I maintain I frame them up with block, cedar, or lumber so you dont have the erosion. You should work with your local people to get them shored up with retaining walls and dirt/gravel.

I think there are valid scenarios for flaring the pad at the front or back depending on the layout of the hole. If there is a gap right off the pad but there are possibilities to go right or left after you make the gap, a pad that's wider in back makes sense as most players will want to release at about the same spot but might vary their approach angle. A hole where there are left and right options with an obstacle in the middle might call for the opposite, players might want to be able to release farther right or left of the center of the tee pad but the starting point can be the same so a tee that's wider in front makes sense. For most shots, either option works just fine, but consider using it as a design element that can complement your hole designs rather than just a blanket thing.

On courses I maintain I frame them up with block, cedar, or lumber so you dont have the erosion. You should work with your local people to get them shored up with retaining walls and dirt/gravel.
^ this.
This.
1000x THIS! :thmbup:

This really helps the area around the tee box stay flush with the surface of the tee for years to come, which allows for a normal follow through. I have a feeling just framing them in with pressure treated 2x4's about 2 feet out from the tee all the way around and sunk in flush with the ground would help.

IMHO, that's a more important feature than a trapezoidal shape.

Last edited:
When I encounter flared tee pads I never use them to their fullest. I think about how we throw from minis or our discs on a second shot, for instance, and can still hit any of the angles with much less room to tee from.

As someone designing a course you might want to consider how each hole will change due to available routes to the basket by providing the wider area from which to tee. Is it worth the extra concrete, or would it be better used to provide a longer tee pad (wink wink, nudge nudge)? Just my opinion.

I think the ultimate tee would be a giant capital Yshape, but with the basket in the direction of the bottom of the Y.
This allows for full runups for left or right handed players.
Of course, this type of tee is only necessary for longer holes.
Pitch and putt, or kiddie courses need only a small square.

All of the newer pads that we install around here have been 5x12.
That's a big area to work with.

Personally, I think the narrowing trapezoids (which I dealt with at my old home course for more than a decade) constrict movement. I'd rather have them widen, but better yet, I'd like an even surface for my run-up. Simply widening the pads the whole way would be best.

Any means to make a teepad bigger (longer or wider) is a good one. Players have to get out of the notion that they must launch from the very, very front.

This simple trapezoid shape requires less framing, cement and work. These are 6 feet wide at the front and 4 feet wide at the rear.

97a0b6d4.jpg

Do not make the edges smooth as shown in the photo. This smooth part becomes slick when wet. Make sure the textured surface extends to the edges of the tee pad. The course: Waller Park DGC - Santa Maria, CA

Any means to make a teepad bigger (longer or wider) is a good one. Players have to get out of the notion that they must launch from the very, very front.

Tee placement is a really big part of hole design. It potentially is a HUGE part of design if you're in the woods. Out in the open, just a flat spot that allows for righties and lefties is great.

If the tee pad is 6' wide at the front vs. 4' wide that can have a major impact on decision making on the tee, where you can release and what you can potentially get around.

I voted yes because being able to throw safely is huge for me.

you can tell some of you players don't use the teepad or run up very well to shape different shots lol.

Trapazoid or round teepads are some of my favorite. Skinny narrow (even longer) pads suck.

Round pads do nothing for you in the very wooded courses, other than maybe give you a slightly different angle.