• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fast driver with least fade?

To echo what has been said, all fast discs will have some fade.

If you want to throw a fast disc and have little to no fade, you'll need to hyzer flip something understable. In the turn portion of the flight, the disc will fight out of the hyzer and the fade will shift direction to forward. A lot of things going on, but when you get it right, it results in a very straight flight path. Super touchy shot though.

How fast is fast?

I'm nearly 55, been playing for 18 months. I find the light Wraiths a lot straighter than 3 fade. Blizzard or Starlite plastic I can get out to 330' (as far as I go). They turn a little and fade a touch.

Westside Stag I found to be a straight disc too.

Blizzard and starlite plastic aren't indicative of how a certain mold flies. Most Wraiths do indeed have a 3 fade. When the make a mold so light using cheap plastic you change the flight characteristics of it entirely.

Caveman62 id suggest any of the lighter plastics like previously suggested (prodigy air, blizzard etc) but as far as disc selection id suggest an innova mamba, prodigy air D3, innova wahoo. You might also be able to get away with throwing a blizzard beast

Hello all! I haven't posted for a while. Been cold in Virginia, you know? Anyway, got some of the suggested discs with some success. But since I've been back out since it's been getting warmer here my drives are shorter than ever and stall out to the left. I figured my arm is another year older (58) and slower so just accept it.

Then, you know you how watch youtube videos trying to teach disc golf stuff and some tips kind of work and some just don't and some contradict others? That's been my experience anyway.

Anyway, this morning waiting for my wife to get ready to go out I watched one on how to throw an anhyzer flip I just happened across. Now the whole thing was fine I'm sure. But one thing he said is that the nose (front edge) needs to be level or even a bit lower than the back edge. I throw almost exclusively backhand right handed.

So I went out to my close by Orange County (VA) Parks and Rec course and did that and WOW! HUGE DIFFERENCE. I'm thinking somehow as I played I messed up my form that I was releasing with the front edge higher and higher and going shorter and shorter. Having the nose lower just, seriously, made a HUGE difference.

Hello all! I haven't posted for a while. Been cold in Virginia, you know? Anyway, got some of the suggested discs with some success. But since I've been back out since it's been getting warmer here my drives are shorter than ever and stall out to the left. I figured my arm is another year older (58) and slower so just accept it.

Then, you know you how watch youtube videos trying to teach disc golf stuff and some tips kind of work and some just don't and some contradict others? That's been my experience anyway.

Anyway, this morning waiting for my wife to get ready to go out I watched one on how to throw an anhyzer flip I just happened across. Now the whole thing was fine I'm sure. But one thing he said is that the nose (front edge) needs to be level or even a bit lower than the back edge. I throw almost exclusively backhand right handed.

So I went out to my close by Orange County (VA) Parks and Rec course and did that and WOW! HUGE DIFFERENCE. I'm thinking somehow as I played I messed up my form that I was releasing with the front edge higher and higher and going shorter and shorter. Having the nose lower just, seriously, made a HUGE difference.

Doh! I mean hyzer! Not anhyzer!

To answer the question. The higher the speed/wider the rim you will generally get more turn and fade. Which is why they simply can't make a disc that has zero low speed fade at speed 14 otherwise it would be so flippy that it would be a roller.

I would say stay in the speed 9 range understable like a lightweight sidewinder/RR or Heat. Something like that will give you distance and very little fade.

A lot of people recommend against Innova DX plastic, especially in drivers.

This might be a time where it makes sense.

I bought a couple of 150G wraiths and Valks in DX. Fun to throw, but zero durability.

The disc I bag for this is a hatchet.

I bought the usual popular drivers in DX and they really did gouge up quicker than i thought. Had a great time while doing though lol. I went and replaced them all with Star or Champ versions. I can't believe how tough the Champ plastic is.

Ha, problem is the DX Wraith I just bought got flippy fast and the meathook Star Valkyrie is indestructible :wall:

I've played this game regularly since January and I hate it already :hfive:

Yeah the reason why fast drivers with little to no fade is a bit of a unicorn is because the faster the disc, the more sensitive to nose angles it will be. So you can throw a max speed disc dead straight...as long as you get all the angles perfectly with the necessary velocity.

The nose up error is what plagues 99.9% of people learning how to throw and usually why all your throws go up in the air and stall out left.