• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

favorite type of plastic

money 21

* Ace Member *
What is your favorite type of plastic currently in production?
mine is:
Driver opto
mid E hpp
putter vibram

Mine varies by disc. Example: I like my Strikers in Opto but my Rivers in Gold Line. I get my Forces in Z and my Avenger SS in ESP.

I gotta say though, X-Link Firm is IT for putters for me.

I have to say that while it's not that durable, I love Pro/P-Line plastic in drivers.

Come to think of it, I also love it in mids and putters as well, the P-Line at least.

Hard to pick just one with so many plastics out there, and so many variations of each type.
But if I had to pick just one, I'd have to say Star.

Drivers: Translucent Champy Star
Putters: What firm soft wizards are.
Prettiest: Opto

The discs that I actually throw are mostly DX. BUT... you can't dye DX plastic (very well or for very long before it fades anyway) so I've been buying other plastics lately for dyeing and have started throwing them too.

I like my Innova Champion Valkyrie (once I learned to keep it nose down). It'll fly a nice, late hyzer and my beat DX Valk is either a laser beam or a gentle arc depending on my throw (the DX Valk landed me my first and only ace so far).

My Roc is Innova's KC Pro plastic. It's grippy like DX but feels more durable. I've hit plenty of trees with it but only have one small chunk missing out of it.

I don't have any Star plastic but I have an S-Line Discmania GM Gremlin and I love, love, love the way it feels in my hand and flies. (And I've read that it's the same as Innova's Star)

I have a Discraft Stalker in Elite-Z plastic. It's super smooth, feels great and flies like a longer Shark.

Discraft's APX putter is pure money for me and most of that, I feel, is the plastic. It's Soft Elite-X and really has great grip/release from my hand when I throw. I've never thrown it and thought, why did it go there and not where I threw it.

I just got a Latitude 64 River in Opto plastic. It gets a little slippery in wet grass or on sweaty hands but when it's dry it really pops out of my hand when I get my grip right.

I really like my Gateway Element, but not the plastic that I bought it in. It's "sure grip" plastic (Gateway S Series) which gets a giant gash in it if it flies within ten feet of a tree! It flies a perfect line every time, but feels like a saw blade in my hand and looks like a dog's chew toy. But it has a pretty rainbow hotstamp if that helps anything...

Quest AT (Inferno) and Gateway (Assassin) both have Evolution Pro-Line and I have mixed feelings about them both. Solid, firm discs that fly well and last a long time, BUT they start to peel... I think the plastic might be breaking down in them.

So I guess I like softer grippier plastics (DX) but lately have venturing off into candy plastics (Champ, Opto, Elite-Z) thanks to the disc dying hobby. Maybe I'll start looking at S-Line and Star plastics more.

Does anyone else just generally hate champ plastic? Granted I play in the desert but its so slippery with even the slightest bit of sweat on your hands. I notice it mostly with champ/opto but Z I seem to do fine with.

As a general statement with out going disc by disc it breaks down like this for me;

1. Drivers - candy and pro plastics
2. mids - Candy
3. Putters - D or grip line plastics

CHEERS - Koffee

Just one plastic answer = Opto
Tough as any Champ/Z but magically holds grip all the way down to 20deg plus works decent when damp. They can on occasion put real color into it, not GL sexy but full color value, and it wears a bit better than GL.

I changed putters this summer and can't comment on that slot until I get thru another winter.

Best floater plastic = Lighting
No floater plastic is super tough but theirs is decent plus allows a wind-worthy 170 weight.

Honorable mention = Daredevil
Played the same Timberwolf for 3 years and it has not changed. No gouges, even has a few bits of flashing still on the rim. Grips well in ANY weather, but a bit soft imho for my Aug heat. Too bad their main drivers or best putter come in only darn green or lost in fall pale orange. Heavy woods driver plastic supreme...