• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

First form check!

xUdkksB.png

KICK SWIM.

Been working on this one personally.
And. It works. Random extra power at league last night from getting that ...

Sorry, Hijacking not on purpose. I just been thinking/working on this part of the swing and talking about it. And this was a great photo I hadn't seen previously.

xUdkksB.png

KICK SWIM.

Been working on this one personally.
And. It works. Random extra power at league last night from getting that ...

Sorry, Hijacking not on purpose. I just been thinking/working on this part of the swing and talking about it. And this was a great photo I hadn't seen previously.

Appreciate any input and I take it all under advisement, thanks :)

I think part of why I have trouble with this is if my head isn't balanced right over the feet, I can't rock/evert off that rear foot really clean into the ideal shift. But my legs also need constant prompting to be less lazy, so I keep doing little warmup exercises for that. Lots of lateral stride moves with more momentum focusing on my head balance then shrinking it down "ride the bull" style.

I can feel the difference on the best swings but gotta keep grinding and adding more momentum to get more athletic and break the habit... Same in X-step, where the high pump and rock feels like it sets up a low effort knockout punch more times than not now, but if I get off balance on the rear side I feel my drive leg get wonky and stuff straining to compensate.

My local vet who isn't as into mechanics but has a good eye said something like "that pump looks like it's working better for you because it sets up the rest of your mechanics to kind of unfold on their own and I can see that you're not straining anywhere to move your weight. It's more obvious where the power is coming from and it also looks easier on your body."

So the big picture seems on the right track, just gonna take time, as always :)

Had a quick body insight. Every time I move like I'm boxing my legs instantly function better with my head and I can shift & move my weight quickly in all directions. So I just moved around with some boxing footwork drills for a couple minutes then tried again. Sticking with this Gibson-esque off arm for now since it's feeling very ergonomic quickly. I can now easily choose to add power coming out of the backswing more like a punch if I want to. Still not getting as much as I can in the final action off the drive side but it looks and feels a bit better & I know what I'm shooting for now.

Forgive the stretchy jeans, I'm "dressing up" today:

Last edited:
"that pump looks like it's working better for you because it sets up the rest of your mechanics to kind of unfold on their own and I can see that you're not straining anywhere to move your weight. It's more obvious where the power is coming from and it also looks easier on your body."

So the big picture seems on the right track, just gonna take time, as always :)

Waggle.

Not all golfers, but a lot of golfers have a waggle.
A useless movement to the swing that helps them focus into time or has been added in to help them get into time or into position.

I have no idea why they call them waggles, but some of the ball golf ones are quite amusing .

Still working head balance. Played with more CoG drop in narrow standstill.

I was also curious what my full 4-step X-step would look like since I haven't done it much at all in a couple weeks.
I tried a couple pump styles & it looks and feels like my body moves better than before overall - better bow load, more heavy momentum. I still don't quite have the best shift/foot pressure somewhere, but I'm encouraged by the progress.

Still working head balance. Played with more CoG drop in narrow standstill.

I was also curious what my full 4-step X-step would look like since I haven't done it much at all in a couple weeks.
I tried a couple pump styles & it looks and feels like my body moves better than before overall - better bow load, more heavy momentum. I still don't quite have the best shift/foot pressure somewhere, but I'm encouraged by the progress.

oooh. I see what you mean by pump now.

The full movement didn't look terrible. I can see a lot of what you're doing with standstills coming through into the full movement. You looked a bit ridged in the shoulders/neck though.

I'd suggest relaxing your head/neck if I was giving advice on that swing.
you're not leading with your head. But it seems out of time to me and not relaxed and natural.

oooh. I see what you mean by pump now.

The full movement didn't look terrible. I can see a lot of what you're doing with standstills coming through into the full movement. You looked a bit ridged in the shoulders/neck though.

I'd suggest relaxing your head/neck if I was giving advice on that swing.
you're not leading with your head. But it seems out of time to me and not relaxed and natural.

Thanks - my neck is getting much less strain than it used to but I'm not surprised if I'm carrying tension I can't feel there. I'll keep loosening it up and working on breathing exercises before I throw. It's like the sequence is there but there are little kinks/microtensions getting in the way. So hard for me to just relax.

Pump and waggle - pumping big and often very vertical from SW22's advice finally seems to be getting my momentum leading the swing and is forcing my x-step to brace me better in the backswing. I think that's why I can swap pumps from the pendulum to other styles more easily since my body is letting my CoG flow better. I can also do the more Doss or Jenkins-like pump more vertical. I'm finally not really in my head at all there FWIW.

But looking at my x-step again I think I am still not quite flowing over the drive leg ideally. It needs to be a little more patient with maybe a slightly longer drive stride. I think the plant stride also still needs to be a tad shorter and sweep in a little more like a ball kick.

Going to keep working on loosening up and do perpetual and try stride drills off the rear leg :)

^Looking again @ x-step, the backswing and drive side load looks a lot better than it used to. I'm actually not sure I need a longer drive stride - that's maybe as long as my short leg will naturally stride while in leverage rocking forward. I think loosening up & just sweeping into a shorter plant stride like a ball kick maintaining a bit more "nose over toes" might do it. That should also help my head get fully balanced into the front foot when I land, I think.

^Looking again @ x-step, the backswing and drive side load looks a lot better than it used to. I'm actually not sure I need a longer drive stride - that's maybe as long as my short leg will naturally stride while in leverage rocking forward. I think loosening up & just sweeping into a shorter plant stride like a ball kick maintaining a bit more "nose over toes" might do it. That should also help my head get fully balanced into the front foot when I land, I think.

I think really at this point if you're going anywhere with it, its just a lot more nitpicky stuff.
Your movement has good flow. But I can see how you feel slightly out of time.

I pointed out the head movement because you load up really good, then suddenly start looking with your head towards the shot before your body and the disc comes around, so your head gets ahead of the release.

Find something to blankly stare at while throwing. I find that when I am filming myself, staring directly at the camera helps me, But I have a far more vertical throw, so that's a bit easier for me.

I will say one of the things that you're doing that I started doing is getting the look at the target line before the backswing timing.
And man, it can help your rhythm and aim.

I go with "look at target line, when back swing brings head around, go neutral"
Then I try and focus on not driving with my head, but I do it sometimes still.

So many old habbits to break that want to creep in while you're doing this or that.
Which is pretty awesome with what you're doing.
You have so many less habbits to work around. And starting more towards building healthy swing habbits vs work out old ones.

HMM, this aggressive vertical pump in my 2-step seems to be helping to sync everything fast. A lot of it is how well it gets my rear leg braced as my weight drifts forward. It's because the momentum swings the X-step under me naturally (Hammer X) and I can get good vertical contact into the drive leg against gravity as my CoG flows over and ahead of it. Now that my tilt is fixed, the backswing can get a nice load stretching me out by naturally carrying the momentum back.

This shift looks way more compact and my head position looks much cleaner to me. The head is helping brace my foot pressure. I can get aggressive and add as much force as I want and it really makes my legs work and get in line quickly.

It's not super easy to aim these on the course in the vertical plane, but I'm going to keep doing them to get my body more confident and consistent loading the rear side. Maybe the head will keep playing along. Still doing plenty of perpetual and narrow standstills next field session.

Head balance keeps feeling better by the day, sticking with it.

My rear leg action in general might signal I still need a little more "sit" moving over the drive leg. Can drill it in various moves.

Did some stuff to keep working on rocking and the drive side. Always focused on head balance then got swinging freely relaxed.

Some drill moves transitioning into small shift standstills. One squatty 2 step throw at the end:

Watch how your right foot leaves the ground flat footed in the backswing, like your toes go up faster than your heel, I'm doing the opposite, toes stay on ground last and drag with heel up, knee bends and kicks behind left knee like pitcher or knees end up closer together so everything is more stacked up and moving underneath me. Your right knee stays closer to target as you tip over.

Watch how your right foot leaves the ground flat footed in the backswing, like your toes go up faster than your heel, I'm doing the opposite, toes stay on ground last and drag with heel up, knee bends and kicks behind left knee like pitcher or knees end up closer together so everything is more stacked up and moving underneath me. Your right knee stays closer to target as you tip over.

:)

It seemed like my weight didn't want to come all the way forward into my plant foot toe. So I kept adjusting a little until I felt my feet starting to evert back and forth with the momentum. Trending any better?

I'm getting enamored with all the little lessons in this drill...

If I get the toe following the heel in one foot, the heel tends to follow the toe in the other foot. Will keep grinding it.

Need to keep your left elbow close to hip.

Turn vs Tilt/Side Bend/Shovel: (Note my front foot is flared open so heel plants first)
attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-10-31 at 8.11.57 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-10-31 at 8.11.57 PM.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 49
Did perpetual and hammer again, FWIW feels a little more like I'm crushing more into the heel each way and not struggling against my body as much to get the tilt/side bend/shovel.

Fieldwork:
After those I threw in the little field near me a bit & tracked some stats. I usually come out throwing on extreme hyzer after doing so many drill motions so I wanted to recalibrate. It was soggy so I just focused on the drill lessons, angle/line control and accuracy.

Narrow standstills (~225' target: Pigs + putter baby flexes and baby hyzerflips). Stats after throwing out the first couple extreme hyzer batches:
C1 7/10 8/10 9/10 10/10

Compact x-step (~300' target: Comets, mostly little hyzerflips)
C1 6/8 8/8 8/8

Not quite pinpoint but I was pretty stoked about that! I was also getting much less vertical spray and good height control on Comets in the X-step w/ either pump style. I was really struggling with that until the recent changes.

Body stress is at an all-time low but need to watch the overuse quotient again.

Last edited:
Did perpetual and hammer again, FWIW feels a little more like I'm crushing more into the heel each way and not struggling against my body as much to get the tilt/side bend/shovel.

Fieldwork:
After those I threw in the little field near me a bit & tracked some stats. I usually come out throwing on extreme hyzer after doing so many drill motions so I wanted to recalibrate. It was soggy so I just focused on the drill lessons, angle/line control and accuracy.

Narrow standstills (~225' target: Pigs + putter baby flexes and baby hyzerflips). Stats after throwing out the first couple extreme hyzer batches:
C1 7/10 8/10 9/10 10/10

Compact x-step (~300' target: Comets, mostly little hyzerflips)
C1 6/8 8/8 8/8

Not quite pinpoint but I was pretty stoked about that! I was also getting much less vertical spray and good height control on Comets in the X-step w/ either pump style. I was really struggling with that until the recent changes.

Body stress is at an all-time low but need to watch the overuse quotient again.

Something that helped me feel more of the vertical pump/swing was to swing something really heavy. I think the problem with swinging a hammer is you're manipulating it to your normal swing instead of having the body swing it more naturally. Try swinging a 15 pound kettlebell with one hand, don't have to go nuts but you will feel the pump and rhythm of your body because you won't be able to swing it with just your arm you will have to use your body the way it was meant to move or you hurt yourself because it comes swinging into you.

It just looks like you're manipulating the hammer swings instead of it happening more naturally.

Also to possibly help with SWs turn vs tilt/shovel comment I recommend the door frame drill. Just feel how your body wants to rip the door frame off with your weight. Then when your fingers do rip off notice how it sends your body on the tilted twirl and you end up more over the front foot then you would imagine.

Hope this helps!

Latest posts