• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Flashing and stability

I love hearing the discussion of parting line height. If it is where the air separates during flight than how do you measure it? Do you put two discs on a level and compare? Do you use Star Trek quantum calipers? Maybe a wind tunnel and a high speed X-ray microscope. There is so much going on where the disc meets the atmosphere none of us has the chops to define that with our eyes. Atmosphere doesn't just decide which way to go when it hits the edge. Especially with a spinning object. There is turbulance and randomness, which is a good thing. That's why those little white balls with dimples that say Titleist fly so damn far. And I do mean fly... those things create lift because of their spin and velocity and dimples. And if you can show me the PLH of a golf ball I will be impressed.
Or maybe it's a little ridge of plastic you can feel when you run your finger over it? I can say 100% that removing it changes how it flies. I love Vibram Ascents and when I get a new one I throw it in a field to see how it flies, then take off the edge with an emory board (that's a kind of nail file for you guys with no girlfriends) and it flies like it's supposed to.
That is an issue with manufacturing though. When it comes to the barely feelable lines like on Prodigy disc on the bottom edge, or my Westside Tursas is a good example. Lets call it a Picobead. You would think it couldn't possibly make a difference; its just so small it couldn't be there on purpose. Well if you sand it down it makes a little difference. Not much, and it would have worn off eventually anyway.
The moral of the story is steal your mom's rough emory and don't hate your new disc.

Flashing isn't complicated and its hard to take a picture of... lets say you want to make a mold of something... lets say we have a perfect copy of the right side of your dick and a perfect copy of the left side of your dick. If we put them together its gonna look like we put your dick together perfectly but you can see where it was put together. Just get rid of the flashing and you have your dick back

Okay I already feel bad about that comment. Flashing is the tiny bit left over from the molding process. You can feel it on almost every disc. At best it is a rough edge. At worst it is a flap of plastic that squirted between the top and the bottom of the mold and the manufacturer didn't take the time to trim it off. It happens a lot.

Running Rebels walking all over Longhorns! I love it! But if you have any questions about fluid dynamics I would love to answer them for you. Go Dawgs.

Okay so high speed x-ray camera it is. I don't have one and you don't either. When you look at a disc profile you see the same thing I do.

For some reason when I get a new disc and sand away the extra plastic it flies like it is supposed to. I'm sure it is because of friction and mass and other things that haven't been discovered at Ol Miss.

Well this thread got derailed quickly by that one guy trying to increase his post count.

But back on topic. Removing the flashing does effect the flight. It takes away some overstablity from the disc.

Ok, after thinking on it a night, I don't think it's impossible to have the parting line in a different place than the "leading edge" (that's what I'm going to call where the air separates). BUT it would be silly to have the 2 in a different spot, because the leading edge is going to be the widest part of the disc. Thus, you'd want the parting line to be at the leading edge so discs would come out of the mold as easy as possible.