• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Flexing gateway...

Discoman

Par Member
I have started to rep Gateway products in my area. I have loved the Wizards and Warlocks for some time now, but I am branching out to the drivers and midranges. My new spirit seems very overstable and the Speed Demon DT is wicket os! My question is as i throw the Blurr and Illusion spirit and others should i try flexing these discs artificially to nudge them into more usefull flight patterns? I throw Solfs 400 max and am quite used to pretty overstable stuff maz weight ESP predator and such but I always have been able to throw my discs into usefull or liked them how they started. Am I getting impatient or is gateway a different breed?

I'll tell you to flex them, but you throw farther than me. I think Dave also flexes in his Blurrs. The Spirit is pretty much impossible overstable for me unless it's flexed/broken in.

For the ultimate opinion, wait until Mike Robinson (MDR_3000) gets back from worlds. He's a Gateway sponsored pro, and he'll probably be able to give you the best advice.

get a diablo dt, they are about as stable as a blurr but farther, I thow them flat to slight anny and really low and those babys soar very straight.

Being sponsored by gateway, I used to flex my discs more but I don't find that they need to be anymore, but thats just the way I throw and the only discs that I find overstable out of the box are heavy rages and spirits (I don't throw SD)... The Blurr for me has a nice tight S-curve out of the box (unless they are some of the first protos released can't remember which color was the more overstable)

But if a disc like the blurr is really overstable for you, definately flex it. It's an easy way to break in any of gateways discs and provides instant results.

I've got a s 130 gram S Spirit that I've flexed many times with the hardest angle being about 35 degrees off of normal shape and the disc hasn't changed in characteristics at all. How many times should one flex a disc and how many degrees of flexing needs to be used for making a Spirit less overstable LSS wise? Do the Spirits become HSS understable when flexed so that they are like about Wraiths or less in LSS or do they ever become that little LSS?

I can have large fades in the end from many other discs but this one I'd like to have for windy days and very low long drives. Currently I can't get it as far as I'd like and would like to curtail the larger than necessary fade.

The Blurr I just got, which very well may not be the latest run, is in no way flippy. The fade at the end is Predator like but more abrupt.

I've never done much flexing to my discs. I just rely on my sabre for most of my driver shots.

But when you are flexing it make sure your last bend is bending the nose down. Hell you can even try to roll your disc up if it's flexible enough.

I think flexing makes the discs fly really stupid lines. The loose thier HSS but keep all the LSS. If anything throw thumbers with them or just throw them at trees.

Yeah, I have small hands and there is no chance of me throwing a thumber with a Blurr. Trees on the other hand, thats just a natural destination.....or so I thought. :p

Ok...So I flexed one of my Blurrs, and I would have to say after a few throws that it has started on the stupid line trajectory like Scooter said. HS undestable and low speed stable...so I will throw the other Blurr and see how it seasons. The Baby blue Illusions are the bee's knees. Bag is
Speed Demon
Spirit
Illusions
Blurr
Sabres
Element X evo
2Element X's
Element
various warlocks and wizards+whitler
Figuring out a whole line of discs is fun! Very fast drivers and accurate fairway drivers!

scoot_er said:
I think flexing makes the discs fly really stupid lines. The loose thier HSS but keep all the LSS. If anything throw thumbers with them or just throw them at trees.

I have an E Spirit that's like that. I almost never use it.

Sorry to be such a noob. I carry an illusion and a blurr for forehands. I am not planning on doing anything with them, but I was curious about what flexing is exactly and how its done.

Thanks!

Sweeps (Who Sunday morning was the worst player in the history of disk golf. I got better Sunday afternoon though, then I was the 4th worst!)