• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Floating Disks

Blizzard discs float under 140g I believe. I know they do in the mid 130's

I love it when five year old threads are bumped and people just go on answering. OP called them disks. :D

ZipDrive.jpg

Haha, I was waiting for someone to call him out on the "disks" comment. That drives me crazy.

Personally, I think one advantage of floaters can be they improve your mental game. I can throw on a hole with water off to the right/left and not have to worry too much. So the throw with my floater may actually go better than a throw with a non-floater. That way, my mental game gradually improves to the point where I won't need to throw floaters.

As far as floater discs go, I haven't found a great one yet. I've been wanting to try a 138g Bliz Wraith or Destroyer. I have a 150g Bliz Wraith which I love. I just don't know if 11-12 grams lighter will cause it to be way more understable.

And if it was a new thread, you would still complain.

Probably. But you're not a super mod yet so who are you to judge broheim? :D

You bumped a five year old thread after a bad prodigy thread and all you added was blowfly floats. Which someone already did five years ago. I just don't see the point. I did want to point out the usage of disks because zip drives do indeed sink.

LOL. I was reading the thread wondering why nobody had said Blizzard discs, then I realized it's because this thread was made eons ago, and was only recently unearthed by a necro-mancer.

But seriously, I would rather keep a cheap, decent driver in my bag (like a ProD Avenger) to throw over water instead of a floating disc. That way, if I lose it, I just buy another. I don't really care for any of the floating discs out there now.

LOL. I was reading the thread wondering why nobody had said Blizzard discs, then I realized it's because this thread was made eons ago, and was only recently unearthed by a necro-mancer.

Made me LOL!

:thmbup::thmbup::thmbup:

Wahoo :cool:

The Wahoo is good floating driver for me. I only throw it on water holes because I do not want to beat it in. Can anyone recommend a floating mid ?

Why all the resurrection lately? Also, why didn't I read the rest of the posts first? :doh:

Also, stop with the Rez...

Haha..this thread started 4 years ago, and basically nothing has changed as far as floater discs. Ain't disc golf grand?

If you're looking for longer range, Lightning has that new MX-1 driver in some kind of new blend called Dow Hi-Test, supposed to be heavy (over 170) and floatable, the driver is comparable to a beast or wraith speed wise.

Haha..this thread started 4 years ago, and basically nothing has changed as far as floater discs. Ain't disc golf grand?

Nothing has changed?

Blizzard discs float under 140g I believe. I know they do in the mid 130's

Blizzard discs have finally given me a floating disc with durability. My home course has a wooded hole with a nasty, muddy pond that forms in the winter. When I hit a tree with a Wahoo it bent like a soft noodle. With my blizzard Wraith I've hit trees a few feet in front of me and had zero damage. Oh, and I've fished it out of the pond 4 or 5 times.

Good call. I use a 138 blizzard wraith for water crossings without having to worry about it's loss. It's pretty darn stable too.

There is also some discs from DGA that float as well.....I know definately that there putters do, I use the Blowfly all the time. Not only does it float, it is one of the softest putters made, it works great on a hilly landing area because when it hits the ground, it usually will not roll.

Blowfly blunt. Great floating and approach disc. :hfive:

Out of all the floating drivers I've tried, I like the Odyssey best so far. It's a high speed driver that floats in heavy weights, but it doesn't seem too overstable for a noodle arm to get max distance.

I'm not sure about how it handles wind. I'm not expecting much.

I bought a 175g Lightning Rubber Putter because of the sticker on it that says that it floats. Same sticker is on the #2 Upshot.

It must help the mental game. On holes with water where I use one of my floating discs (Rubber Putter, Blowfly, Dragon, or Blizzard Katana) I seem to do better than when I use one that does not float. :)

Latest posts