• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] FLX vs. G* plastic

Twmccoy

* Ace Member *
Does anyone know if Innova released G* as a direct competitor to Discraft's FLX plastic? Obviously both plastics are softer/more flexible than other plastics. IMO G* is the better product. It isn't quite as floppy as FLX and has way better flight characteristics.

G* has grown on me a bit. When it first came out I wasn't a fan. The more I throw it the more I see that the discs fly pretty close to the advertised numbers. G* doesn't wear exceptionally fast and glides well. The G* Shryke is perhaps the longest driver I've ever thrown. I've thrown 4 of them and they all fly very similarly. I like the consistency in G* plastic. G* Destroyers also tend to be fairly mellow fliers, not meathooks like some of the regular star Destroyers.

FLX on the other hand I hate. It absolutely doesn't glide and all the discs I ever threw in that plastic were WAAAYYY more overstable than the advertised flight numbers. I guess I can see why Discraft discontinued it.

Z FLX is closer to G Star is stability and fairly similar in feel, however, it is still Z (Champ) style plastic so it is a little more slick and translucent.

I definitely prefer Z FLX to FLX.

I agree - GStar is certainly different than ESP FLX. ESP FLX was around for so many years before GStar I don't get the impression that GStar was released as a direct competitor. To me, in fact, GStar is in a league of its own, whereas Z/ESP FLX and all the flexy plastic Trilogy came out with can be lumped in together.

My reasoning for this is that GStar is actually a lot different than traditional star, with the swirly façade and the generally reduced stability vs Star. The rest of the flexy plastics, as you mentioned, typically are the most stable variants of almost any mold they were produced in. Also for the most part the grip seems pretty similar to the regular plastic.

I agree - GStar is certainly different than ESP FLX. ESP FLX was around for so many years before GStar I don't get the impression that GStar was released as a direct competitor. To me, in fact, GStar is in a league of its own, whereas Z/ESP FLX and all the flexy plastic Trilogy came out with can be lumped in together.

My reasoning for this is that GStar is actually a lot different than traditional star, with the swirly façade and the generally reduced stability vs Star. The rest of the flexy plastics, as you mentioned, typically are the most stable variants of almost any mold they were produced in. Also for the most part the grip seems pretty similar to the regular plastic.

G* feels and looks exactly like Ti FLX (which is only limited release, but still came out before G*).

I've had plenty of Z FLX molds that flew true, and some molds actually have more glide. (Z FLX Challenger for one.) There just is a larger degree of inconsistency with any flexy plastic (Frost, FLX, Elasto, etc). PLH is the main culprit, and with the mids and putters, I think maybe the weight distribution can throw it off. Flexy flight plates feel thicker to me...haven't measured. Just speculating.

image_large.jpg

G* feels and looks exactly like Ti FLX (which is only limited release, but still came out before G*).

I've had plenty of Z FLX molds that flew true, and some molds actually have more glide. (Z FLX Challenger for one.) There just is a larger degree of inconsistency with any flexy plastic (Frost, FLX, Elasto, etc). PLH is the main culprit, and with the mids and putters, I think maybe the weight distribution can throw it off. Flexy flight plates feel thicker to me...haven't measured. Just speculating.

Nice, I was thinking that GStar does look a lot like Ti, and gold line for that matter. I wonder where Discraft went wrong to allow Innova to become such an unrivaled monster. Is part of it that the Buzzz and their plastics are typically so consistent that no cult developed around searching for the perfect Buzzz variant or the perfect Pred or Force? Or maybe it's missteps like not making Ti FLX the big release over regular Ti.

Nice, I was thinking that GStar does look a lot like Ti, and gold line for that matter. I wonder where Discraft went wrong to allow Innova to become such an unrivaled monster. Is part of it that the Buzzz and their plastics are typically so consistent that no cult developed around searching for the perfect Buzzz variant or the perfect Pred or Force? Or maybe it's missteps like not making Ti FLX the big release over regular Ti.

I think Ti's release was hurt due to the muddy colors they were molding up. Otherwise, no release from any company can compete with Innova's foothold in the market. Here's an interesting timeline of releases. (I don't know how comprehensive it is, but Tom Monroe is an OG..) : https://discgolfwarehouse.com/Disc Evolution/evolution_of_disc_golf_discs.htm

I'm going to be in the minority here and say that for what I want a flexible plastic for, which is cold and wet weather, ESP Flx is the best as it drys really easily compared to GStar which I can't get back to feeling even close to dry. Z Flx and Frost/Fluid/Elasto are even worse in that regard. I've only thrown a Ti Flx Nuke that was uncomfortable to hold in my hand, so as a result I can't really comment on how it stacks up as I never really threw it. GStar Destroyers are money though and pair really nicely with a Star, I just wish I could find some pop top super OS GStars which would be amazing bombers once seasoned.

I've never seen FLX Ti. I'd bet money any long driver released in that plastic is a super pig. I've thrown a few Ti Nukes and all of them are monstrously overstable. Like, your arm gets sore just thinking about throwing them. The plastic is gorgeous and seems durable, but it flies terribly in driver molds. I have a Ti Force I'm almost afraid to throw. I'm thinking it'll be in Nuke OS territory.

I really love Discraft's regular ESP and Z plastic and throw it regularly. Discraft has fallen quite a bit under the radar lately, but I don't feel like there's anything wrong with Discraft molds. Innova definitely scored with G* plastic though, and Discraft has no answer for it.

I've never seen FLX Ti. I'd bet money any long driver released in that plastic is a super pig. I've thrown a few Ti Nukes and all of them are monstrously overstable. Like, your arm gets sore just thinking about throwing them. The plastic is gorgeous and seems durable, but it flies terribly in driver molds. I have a Ti Force I'm almost afraid to throw. I'm thinking it'll be in Nuke OS territory.

I really love Discraft's regular ESP and Z plastic and throw it regularly. Discraft has fallen quite a bit under the radar lately, but I don't feel like there's anything wrong with Discraft molds. Innova definitely scored with G* plastic though, and Discraft has no answer for it.

I used to throw Ti Forces. They flew true to the commonly attributed HSS 0, LSS 4.

Any flexy wider rim driver is going to mold up with greater inconsistencies. I've been burned enough by some really pretty Cryztal FLX discs online that ended up being unusable, so I don't mess with them. It's not just FLX, though. My buddy loves GStar Shrykes but he's gotten one he had to knock into the wall repeatedly to beat the stability out of it.

I used to throw Ti Forces. They flew true to the commonly attributed HSS 0, LSS 4.

Any flexy wider rim driver is going to mold up with greater inconsistencies. I've been burned enough by some really pretty Cryztal FLX discs online that ended up being unusable, so I don't mess with them. It's not just FLX, though. My buddy loves GStar Shrykes but he's gotten one he had to knock into the wall repeatedly to beat the stability out of it.

I have a Cryztal FLX Nuke I found somewhere that is as overstable a disc as I've ever seen. I'd put it with any Nuke OS.

I've thrown 4 G* Shrykes and they all fly more or less the same. I think with any wide rimmed driver you'll see some inconsistency at times though.