• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Flying Personal Bag Size?

nohr

Eagle Member
I am going on a trip to boston and would like to bring a bag and some discs along. I will be bringing a bigger carryon with all my clothes. So I am wondering what size bag have people gotten away with as thier personal bag?

On various airline websites they said you can have a personal bag such as a diaper bag or briefcase.

I am certain I can get away with a innova starter type bag (square bag with 1 cup holder). I would like to step up to a fade crunch box maybe. Pretty sure a revolution carolina would not qualify as a personal bag. Thanks everyone for the advice.

I flew to Mississippi with a 21 Inch suitcase for clothes. and my Revo Dual Pack loaded for my carry on. I just took out the frame. no probs. except for the minimum wage rubber glove guys looking at me like im the weird one.......

I'm pretty sure a backpack qualifies as a personal item. Basically as long as you're not wheeling two suitcases through, you're in good shape.

Where are you planning to play around Boston?

I flew out to Denver with my Innova Competition bag with Quad Shocks as my personal item. So the Carolina bag should be no problem. You just need to be able to fit it under the seat in front or you.

I flew to Mississippi with a 21 Inch suitcase for clothes. and my Revo Dual Pack loaded for my carry on. I just took out the frame. no probs. except for the minimum wage rubber glove guys looking at me like im the weird one.......

Lol. I'm heading to Vegas in a week. Contemplating taking my Fade Tourney bag as my carry on, was wondering what they're gonna think about that lol.

I guess I will take the cage out of the revolution and try that. Thats pretty sweet I might be able to bring out more plastic than what I thought. I am a little scared at all the unknown crap that has collected up in the pockets of my revolution. Hopefully as long as there is less than 3 oz of unknown goo I will be good. I had a couple of these blow open in the side pockets making pretty nice mess.

http://www.rei.com/product/610028/gu-energy-gel

I would recommend cleaning the bag pretty well. You probably don't want any loose leaves in there if that's your thing.

Let us know how it goes. I'll be taking my discs to Charleston South Carolina in about a month.

Vacuum your bag out thoroughly. I have flown with my Mahal as carry on

I have taken my revo dual pack fully loaded as a carry on along with a standard roller suitcase on a trip to the Left Coast. No problems either way with security. I did not take out the frame.

I also took my Grip EQ bag on a recent trip to San Fran as well...no problems with that one either. Have fun out there! :thmbup:

Maple Hill
Hyland Orchard
Pyramids

For sure. Maybe Devins also.

Good choices. You can definitely make a full day out of Maple Hill on it's own. Devens is a fun one if you can get there. Lots of elevation change and some really tight fairways.

Revolution bag with cage in it/straps made it fine to boston. Only minor problem I had was on my first flight in a small plane it would not fit in the storage above the seats. On my larger plane it easily fit under the seat.

Revolution bag with cage in it/straps made it fine to boston. Only minor problem I had was on my first flight in a small plane it would not fit in the storage above the seats. On my larger plane it easily fit under the seat.

How many courses and rounds did you get in while in Boston?

I have flown with my Silverback loaded to the max as my carry-on. Kept the frame in it, had my quads hooked up, and filled it to the brim with discs. Had no problems going through security with it. Got a couple funny looks, but zero trouble.

i have flown coutnless times with full comp bags loaded with all kinds of stuff like birdie bags and never once has tsa even looked in the bag, usually i will have that and a laptop bag so you shouldnt have any problems as long as, like anothe poster said, you dont have 2 suitcases...