• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Foot fault using thrown disc to mark lie

glassila

Double Eagle Member
Here's the scenerio: a friend of mine recently left his thrown disc on the ground as his lie. He then threw a patent pending shot in which his left foot was behind the disc and his right foot was a good 6-8 inches closer to the basket 150' away.
I joked to him that it was a foot fault.
He said that since he didn't use a mini then he could put his other foot closer to the basket. Fun round, I didn't argue.
I'm pretty sure that if you choose not to use a mini then your lie becomes the 20x30cm behind the thrown disc. Right?

You are correct, and did right for a casual round. Might talk with him about it for future reference, so he doesn't get called on it by others when it 'counts'.
I thought so.
He generally does use a mini, but didn't this time because it would have put him closer to a tree.
So he was using his thrown disc to get the extra distance from a tree and at the same time saying "I should be able to put my other foot a little ahead because it would still be behind the mini IF I had used one".

I thought so.
He generally does use a mini, but didn't this time because it would have put him closer to a tree.
So he was using his thrown disc to get the extra distance from a tree and at the same time saying "I should be able to put my other foot a little ahead because it would still be behind the mini IF I had used one".

You can't have it both ways...

While we are bending the rules for casual rounds, let me put my disc 10 yards closer to the basket because i am uncomfortable putting this far...

All rounds are played with the same rules. Casual rounds are a good place for beginners to learn the rules, and that guy clearly must be a beginner if he does not understand the simplest rules. So teach him. Imagine him doing crap like this in a tournament, people would question where he learned playing.

While we are bending the rules for casual rounds, let me put my disc 10 yards closer to the basket because i am uncomfortable putting this far...

All rounds are played with the same rules. Casual rounds are a good place for beginners to learn the rules, and that guy clearly must be a beginner if he does not understand the simplest rules. So teach him. Imagine him doing crap like this in a tournament, people would question where he learned playing.
All rounds are definitely not played with the same rules. Rules are incredibly varied by whether it is sanctioned, what local rules are, etc. The PDGA has zero governance over non-sanctioned rounds. The biggest example would be whether you can flip your disc instead of using a mini. The rules for a non-sanctioned round are simply whatever the players playing agree to.

To be honest, I think my friend thought he was following the rules. He is a very honest guy and would never intentionally cheat.

All rounds are definitely not played with the same rules. Rules are incredibly varied by whether it is sanctioned, what local rules are, etc. The PDGA has zero governance over non-sanctioned rounds. The biggest example would be whether you can flip your disc instead of using a mini. The rules for a non-sanctioned round are simply whatever the players playing agree to.
Maybe this is regional. ALL non sanctioned events around here are set up to use PDGA rules. Most TD's make this a part of the players meetings. If questions arise during play, all players use PDGA as default. Nearly all the leagues I play are based on PDGA rules.

My small town league is a little fast & loose with some of the rules. OB and Lie rules mostly. We have one guy that's kind of a high functioning special needs type. We don't hold him to the letter and intent of the rules, mostly because it confuses him and he'll never be in the running for a win. (even with the handicapped scoring) But all the players who do go to tournaments know when they are breaking the rules.

Maybe this is regional. ALL non sanctioned events around here are set up to use PDGA rules. Most TD's make this a part of the players meetings. If questions arise during play, all players use PDGA as default. Nearly all the leagues I play are based on PDGA rules.
Most tournaments...yes (non sanctioned ones typically care less about dress code, beverages on the course, etc). Leagues around here tend to do more varied stuff in terms of OB (like not having a line drawn) or flipping a disc instead of using a marker...drinking on the course, dress codes, etc. But tournament rounds and league rounds are a far cry from "all rounds".