• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Caddie Runs To Get Disc

BillFleming

* Ace Member *
Scenerio: European Open. Hole 16. Anthony Barela needs to make his shot onto the island. He misses repeatedly.

Most of us have one or two 'go to' discs for certain distances/shots. Robbie C and the Foundation crew attempted to make the same shot (they recreated the hole). Afterwards, they tested the 'question', if the first disc you threw was your best option to make the island, could you run and get the disc, run back and throw within your 30 seconds. They tested different scenerios. But I'm wondering if this would be legal:

You throw your first disc and send your caddie to go get it so that if it misses the island you can get it back for another throw. While your caddie is running to get disc #1, you prepare to throw disc #2 within your 30 seconds. You throw your #2 disc and your caddie gets your first thrown disc back to you....so you are ready to throw it before your 30 seconds is up (if disc #2 misses the island).

Would that be legal? Your caddie isn't being used as an aiming point as they are moving to the disc or back to the lie. So, could the caddie go retrieve your thrown disc(s) and return them to you so you can throw them again?

Link to the video:

Violation of 812 A.3.E (advancing before the away player) but I doubt it would get called since virtually nothing does.
Didn't think of that rule. And I have seen it 'broken' many times....another player goes to their disc which is 'in front' of the current thrower, but off to the side or in the woods. Or even when putting, I've seen players advance to their disc before the current thrower has thrown.

Didn't think of that rule. And I have seen it 'broken' many times....another player goes to their disc which is 'in front' of the current thrower, but off to the side or in the woods. Or even when putting, I've seen players advance to their disc before the current thrower has thrown.
It's poorly conceived for the reasons you cite among others.

That IS an interesting question AND predicament. I just feel so bad for AB and other throwers in the past as they empty their bag. Not a Discraft thrower or expert (own 1 Undertaker) but I am wondering what were the discs AB threw there as he kept trying.

That IS an interesting question AND predicament. I just feel so bad for AB and other throwers in the past as they empty their bag. Not a Discraft thrower or expert (own 1 Undertaker) but I am wondering what were the discs AB threw there as he kept trying.
Yeah, I feel sorry for AB also....been there...done that. Many times I've had to throw a second (or third) disc and really wished I had the first disc back. Nothing like having an island green where you know it will take a fairway driver to make and you've already thrown all your fairway drivers at it; leaving you only midranges. Of course, a TD probably should take that into consideration and provide a drop zone (try twice from the lie and if you still miss it, proceed to the drop zone with a stroke penalty) but that would probably require a waiver or something.

Violation of 812 A.3.E (advancing before the away player) but I doubt it would get called since virtually nothing does.
If AB had to throw until he made the island, he is still the away player. Some events have a rule that the order remains and the same player continues to throw.

If AB had to throw until he made the island, he is still the away player. Some events have a rule that the order remains and the same player continues to throw.
That's the standard rule:
802.02.D If a player is making another throw from the same lie, or a re-throw, that player remains next in the throwing order. A re-throw is an additional throw from the same lie which is played instead of the original throw.