• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Footwear

adidas sambas and whatever socks i am wearing at the time
I did that until I played a course that was a little wet and got to a point where it was nearly impossible to get up a small, muddy hill. Since then I've used trail runners and have been much happier.

How about for those of us with wider feet? Merrels only have one style in anything over "medium." I just got some new New Balance 479's in 11 1/2 4E that feel good (probably need 3E instead but no option at the store.) But they are definately not waterproof. Does New Balance have any good higher end shoes/boots; I'm looking to get some heavier duty DG-only footwear before fall hits.

New Balance does have some hiking boots, although the reviews are not very good, and trying to find them at a local shoe store is near impossible. They do offer free shipping/returns online or something of that nature. I love New Balance cross trainers, but they still don't offer the foot support I need for disc golf. The Keens are the best I've come across.

The Keens are the best I've come across.

I find Keens to be very comfortable, but also very heavy. It sounds silly, but you'd be amazed at how much difference a little bit more weight on your feet can make at the end of a long day.

I wear Merrell moab gore-tex. I love em, i wear em everywhere I go. If I wore a pair a nikes as much as my merrells, theyd be shreds by now.

I didn't bring my regular Nike cross trainers on my last trip and played in hiking boots. It was a bit of an adjustment but after a couple of throws I got the hang of it.

I didn't bring my regular Nike cross trainers on my last trip and played in hiking boots. It was a bit of an adjustment but after a couple of throws I got the hang of it.

I play in hiking boots when I'm playing in snow and ice, it's nice to have the extra ankle support, and warmer feet. It definitely does take some getting used to, especially trying to do the x-step.

I am still looking for a nice pair of shoes as well. I wanted the Moab Gore-Tex but they were uncomfortable due to my foot width. They had the Moab Ventalatiors in the correct width but one of the big things I was looking for was the Gore-Tex.

I find Keens to be very comfortable, but also very heavy. It sounds silly, but you'd be amazed at how much difference a little bit more weight on your feet can make at the end of a long day.

My Keen Tarhee II Mids are just slightly heavier than the Merrell Moab Mids, but the extra foot support is worth it to me, and I don't really notice the extra few ounces on 2 day tourneys. I used to wear my Timberland Pro Titans which are a bit heavier(although the Titans are very light for work boots) than both of those and I definitely feel them wear on my knees although my feet feel fine at the end of a long day or tourney.

I am in the Wide Foot boat so I pretty much have to play in New Balance or something similar. I would prefer better griped shoes but they don't normally fit. :(

I hate wet feet as well. I went to the Bass pro shop shoe department and asked for a water proof hiking shoe. The lady working there highly recommend the Danner Exo Edge Hikers with gore tex. I purchased them for less than $60 and they are perfect. I actually was walking in a creek that was about 2 inches deep and my feet stayed dry so they work well in wet morning grass. I had them for over three months now and they look brand new.

How about for those of us with wider feet? Merrels only have one style in anything over "medium." I just got some new New Balance 479's in 11 1/2 4E that feel good (probably need 3E instead but no option at the store.) But they are definately not waterproof. Does New Balance have any good higher end shoes/boots; I'm looking to get some heavier duty DG-only footwear before fall hits.

I've had a pair of NB 977 "country walking" mid-rise boots with GoreTex liner for over a year now, and they've worked extremely well for me. I've mostly worn them for disc golf, and haven't played as much as I'd have liked, so they're still in good shape. I tried to slog through one course where most of the back nine was under several inches of standing water, and the only time any water got to my socks or skin was when I sloshed some in over the top, so I can confirm that the GoreTex liner works very well for staying dry.

My only real complaint with them was that they were a bit warm (solid leather uppers) in the heat of summer, so when I noticed that NB Web Express had their lighter-weight mid-height GoreTex hiking boots, the 1201s, on sale a while back, I went ahead and snagged a pair. For the most part they've been everything I wanted from them -- comfortable for my very wide foot and high instep, waterproof, etc. My only complaint with them was that initially the top of the boot, at the top of the ankle, was a bit stiff, and I ended up with a mild bruise around my leg just above the top after wearing them for a two-day tournament over two long courses. Had only had them a short while at the time, though, and hadn't really broken them in. Haven't had the same problem since.

I did get to test out NB Web Express' free shipping, no-hassle return policy -- I accidentally ordered the wrong size first time out, and the return was completely painless. Went online and filled out the return form, printed the shipping label and dropped it off at a UPS store, and had the exchanged boots in a week or so.

For someone like me with wide feet who plays on courses with very rough, uneven terrain with lots of rocks, acorns, etc., acting like ball bearings on slopes, these two are the best options I've found. The waterproof GoreTex is just a bonus for me, but one I've been glad to have a couple of times.

There are a couple of other options from NB -- you can see the different hiking shoe/boot options they have here: http://www.nbwebexpress.com/category.asp?type=MNFTOTHI&perPg=24&showDetails=no

i play in some La Sportiva Approach shoes http://www.sportiva.com/products/prod/350

they're a very burly shoe -i wanted something lowcut - takes a lot to get em wet - since they are made for hiking & even some rockclimbing they have a fairly stiff sole - good support - i love the rubber toe cap since i tend to drag a toe when i throw.

I started with the sealskinz socks and Nike Jungas. Now I have just started using my Redwing hiking boots with the Sealskinz. All have worked great. I am starting to really like the support of the boots though.

Attachments

• sealskinz.jpg
    sealskinz.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 49
  • junga.jpg
    junga.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 49
  • redwing.jpg
    redwing.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 4
I prefer Nikes, low top forces or dunks. Remember there is a direct correlation between how fly you look while on the course and how far your disc flies.

My Adidas shell toes work great. The lack of support really helps my game

My "shorts weather" shoes are shell toes. I break out the velcro jobs when there is a good chance I'll have to lifeguard a disc. In "jeans weather" I wear Kicks, or Chuck Taylors ie: Converse. Mine cost around $20 at Payless and the 3/4 top kicks have great ankle support. However, nothing beats Birkenstocks and Socks! (Insert stereotype joke here)

Latest posts