• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Forehand advice

I know nothing, about anything, but..

I've yet to have an in-depth conversation with anyone, where their opinion doesn't conflict with the previous one I spoke to.
This. This times many.

And it's worse, because <pro says tuck elbow. pro throws. elbow was not tucked. pro says see? like that>

Be sure to warm up!!! The forehand more than the backhand can blow out a tendon or muscle if you're not properly warmed up. G/L

How do you warm up to throw a FH?

I think McBeast maybe has one of the most underrated forehands, dude rips it but looks very effortless.
Simon and Paul have very similar forehands, both are powerful and look effortless.

This. This times many.

And it's worse, because <pro says tuck elbow. pro throws. elbow was not tucked. pro says see? like that>

I'm getting the biggest kick out of Uli trying to teach.
Cause he's. not a terrible golfer, but not great by any stretch in my opinion.

And he's teaching squish the bug in one of his highlight reels for advertising.
like.. Seriously?
You dont even throw like that yourself, but you're saying that's how you need to throw?

Simon and Paul have very similar forehands, both are powerful and look effortless.
Seen AB throw 500? Doesn't look like he's putting much effort I to it. I look spastic the minute I throw 400+ and I'm in danger every time lol

Seen AB throw 500? Doesn't look like he's putting much effort I to it. I look spastic the minute I throw 400+ and I'm in danger every time lol
Some of these guys with the baseball background are really crushing forehands.

I used to throw 400-450 forehands, and it wasn't very hard to be honest, but my elbow soon didn't like it. Backhand just is more versatile to me. and far lower impact.

Go check out this series. Best start to finish explanation of forehand mechanics that I've seen. I throw around 330' accurate, 350-380 less accurately, and I can push over 400 on a good day. 10 years of baseball in my youth, so my body was already sort of built for forehand, but I still had to learn a lot to get consistency and accuracy. Not much I disagree with in Josh's teaching on this particular topic.

Overthrow Disc Golf Forming the Forehand Playlist

Go check out this series. Best start to finish explanation of forehand mechanics that I've seen. I throw around 330' accurate, 350-380 less accurately, and I can push over 400 on a good day. 10 years of baseball in my youth, so my body was already sort of built for forehand, but I still had to learn a lot to get consistency and accuracy. Not much I disagree with in Josh's teaching on this particular topic.

Overthrow Disc Golf Forming the Forehand Playlist
He lost me at 44 seconds of the first of 4 videos. (yeah, I'll watch the next 3 also, but)

If I wedge it all the way into web of my hand, the rim is behind the hand knuckle of my index finger. When I throw the disc comes out - er, actually rips out, taking skin with it.

Don't overlook using a variety of disc weights for forehands, especially in stable discs. My best forehand disc is a beat up 158 champ Destroyer. Absolute bomber, and another pro tip - I have found a lighter disc puts a lot less stress on my joints throwing forehand.

Video tape yourself sometime soon. You don't have to go all crazy and over analyzing with it, just get a general idea of what you're doing and try and fix anything that looks glaringly wrong.

He lost me at 44 seconds of the first of 4 videos. (yeah, I'll watch the next 3 also, but)

If I wedge it all the way into web of my hand, the rim is behind the hand knuckle of my index finger. When I throw the disc comes out - er, actually rips out, taking skin with it.

There are some (I think @sidewinder22 maybe?) who can get away with a bit of space between the disc and the webbing. I suspect he probably has enough strength in his fingers to keep the disc secure. But if you're like the other 99% of us, you're going to need to wedge it back there in order to reduce wobble. You can use paper tape to protect your skin while the callouses build up. But you should definitely feel the friction on the side of the index finger and knuckles, not the bottom.

There are some (I think @sidewinder22 maybe?) who can get away with a bit of space between the disc and the webbing. I suspect he probably has enough strength in his fingers to keep the disc secure. But if you're like the other 99% of us, you're going to need to wedge it back there in order to reduce wobble. You can use paper tape to protect your skin while the callouses build up. But you should definitely feel the friction on the side of the index finger and knuckles, not the bottom.
I suspect the grip and disc orientation in the hand matters. So the knuckle on the index finger ends up either in the way or out of the way.

I have my finger pads on the inside rim rather than the flight plate and I sit/leverage the wing right against/inside the index knuckle. If I moved the disc deeper back into the thumb webbing/joint then the disc would have to drag over top the knuckle slowing down the pivot and adding wobble. It also feels very uncomfortable jamming the disc as far back into the thumb joint as possible.

If I reorient the disc and put my finger pads on the flight plate I can feel how my index knuckle is not in the way nearly as much and the edge of the sits more inside the index palm side rather than the top side/knuckle of the index.

8kGyrkp.png

I suspect the grip and disc orientation in the hand matters. So the knuckle on the index finger ends up either in the way or out of the way.

I have my finger pads on the inside rim rather than the flight plate and I sit/leverage the wing right against/inside the index knuckle. If I moved the disc deeper back into the thumb webbing/joint then the disc would have to drag over top the knuckle slowing down the pivot and adding wobble. It also feels very uncomfortable jamming the disc as far back into the thumb joint as possible.

If I reorient the disc and put my finger pads on the flight plate I can feel how my index knuckle is not in the way nearly as much and the edge of the sits more inside the index palm side rather than the top side/knuckle of the index.

View attachment 330546
I really don't feel like anyone has really discussed forehand grips well enough.

Grip in general is too assumed in backhand and forehand. That's part of the reason I'm working hard on this video series on it.

Ah hah.
Yes, I put finger pads on the inside of the rim rather than the flight plate. If I push the disc deep into the web, the rim picks up a little roll of skin from the first knuckle, and on release that skin goes with the disc. So I've been setting up with the rim just forward of that first index knuckle.

But what I see from sidewinder's photo is that I totally missed where the thumb can go. I've been lining it up with the forward finger, which means it ends up along the rim. He has his closer to the second finger and pointing towards center disc. It's pouring rain here at the moment but I threw a couple discs at the tarp in my basement, and even a putter doesn't scrape the knuckle.

The Spin Doctor "Gentleman's" grip works too; I don't understand the pivot yet with either style.

How do you warm up to throw a FH?
I warm up slowly by sticking my arms out and making small circles while going clockwise then counterclockwise. I will then do some reach ups, where I literally reach both arms upwards and extend them as far as possible and hold it. Then I throw about 5-10 easy, short, low effort forehands to warm up specific tendons and muscles. I'm sorry about the written explanation rather than a video. I played baseball 2nd base for about 12 years and the pivot throw to first is very similar to a DG forehand.

Don't overlook using a variety of disc weights for forehands, especially in stable discs. My best forehand disc is a beat up 158 champ Destroyer. Absolute bomber, and another pro tip - I have found a lighter disc puts a lot less stress on my joints throwing forehand.
this is much more important than most think. i guess it is human nature to think that heavier is better. when i started in the early 80's some players would glue pennies to the bottom of a whamo so they could muscle them out further without a massive flip. you almost never saw anyone throw a forehand for a shot longer than 100'. most forehand distance records were set with max weight discs and that helped reduce OAT wobble and led to muscle and tendon strain.

throwing a max weight disc leads to terrible form and injuries. i learned this the hard way in the early 90's when i aggravated tendons to the point i couldn't work. at that point i couldn't rely on a backhand and started throwing all my drives with 150 class stable to overstable driver. with the advent of wide rimmed drivers i settled in to 156 - 159 high speed drivers.

for 20 yrs my bag has consisted or 2 - 156 Star Bosses, 1-158 G-Star Boss, 2-158 ESP nukes and a 156 champion Roadrunner and 4 putters in the 170-172 range and a 150 aviar. that all i need to play any course i have ever come across and golf related injuries are a thing of the past.

Latest posts