• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Forehand Form Check

That video makes a lot of sense, I'll pay attention to that next time I'm out/in drills.

I've watched at least 30 different videos on baseball throwing/pitching and disc golf form since I first posted this, many of them multiple times, and I think I understand the mechanics but I can't find a way to actually do it. Anything I've been trying to do differently just feels terrible and puts me way off balance, throwing straight into the ground, almost falling over, etc. I have no sports background at all so many of these videos (and advice that typically works for normal people) don't really do a whole lot for me since I don't even really understand the building blocks they're built on.

FWIW, I also can barely throw a baseball and when I do I (just like with overhand disc golf throws) I can do about a total of 1 of them before I need to call it quits for the day lest I chop my arm off to relive the shoulder pain. I doubt I could even get from the pitchers mound to the catchers mitt on a consistent basis. So, I'm starting from basically no knowledge at all. I know I've got to sound like a total moron, or like I'm just not listening to the advice, but I am honestly just really struggling to understand the basics/visualizing how I can change my body motions to actually change my throw rather than just doing the same thing but more awkwardly.

IMO FH is much harder to learn as an adult if you have no previous throwing history. You may/probably need to work on shoulder mobility.

Your shoulder hurts because you're asking too much of your arm and your body is actively working against it.

Watch videos about batting, then work on swinging a bat. Or an axe. Or a tennis racket (backhand). Do anything at all that will get your body to support the work that you're trying to do with nothing but arm. A two handed swing will be hard to manage with just one arm, so that'll be less strain on your shoulder until your body starts working with your arms instead of against them.

I have seen that video in another post and I just bought a resistance band today to work on basic strength and flexibility training over the winter. It's definitely something that I know is holding me back.

When I first started throwing a long time ago, it hurt my shoulder so bad. I was using all arm/shoulder muscle to try to throw the disc and could barely throw it 200'. I wouldn't consider myself particularly athletic (to my dismay), I was always much better at speed and power type athletic sports that doesn't take as much coordination rather than any sport involving swinging.

Imo, a good starting point would be doing perpetual motion type drills. And just drill them over and over until it starts feeling more natural. So things like the windmill drill and perpetual motion drill. I know you are asking about forehand, but these concepts still apply to a forehand and a backhand certainly can't hurt.

Last edited:

Latest posts