• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Form Critique..The Journey to more Controlled Distance.

Better, closer to a one piece takeaway. Still planting flat footed and turning before your really shift weight from behind you as in post #10 with best weight shift vid. Need to keep the arm straighter so the disc is heavier in the backswing and you get the bounce back and forth Shawn talks about. Plant on toes and crush the can with your heel/weight.

This should help you swing back with a straight arm:

Flat footed and not bracing, head starring down at your feet. Rear view video will probably show your balance too far behind your heel. Plant on front toes, then crush the can with the heel/weight. There should be a little bounce after the crush, you continue to collapse over top. Your front knee collapses and turns instead of bracing and stiffening to maintain or catch your posture from going over top the can. Watch how the my weight is moving forward and my arm is still going into the top of the backswing. My hips move forward in the backswing, not the forward swing. Your arm is more moving with your weight, there's little to no countering in your swing.

First set of pics is when the heel lands. You are leaning back away too far. I'm crushing the can more centered/weight more forward. Second set of pics is release, you can see how far your hip has moved forward from not being braced and end up over top your brace while it spins. I've not wasted any rotational speed from forward hip movement and the hip rotates around in place braced against the front leg and the front foot has not pivoted yet. I've catapulted the arm/disc forward from the hip with more weight/smash behind it. Since your hips are moving forward with your arm, there's no counterweight to really release the arm/disc forward. You can also see your rear heel spinning out.

Form Check 2/18/2015

My front foot is pointed backwards when I plant. Still a bit flat footed. I'm still looking at the ground mostly. I was focusing on trying to crush the can and shift my hips forward while in my back swing.

Definitely got more work to do. Any better? Worse?

I'm not a pro at this, and it could be the angle of the camera, but it doesnt look like your elbow is getting very far forward.....

You are still turning before totally crushing the can, there's no bounce after the can crush in your throw there as your knee turns/collapses. If you watch the slowmo you can see how hard my heel crushes and the knee straightens, and the bounce/recoil in the leg from it before really throwing.

You are crushing the can flat footed and slow and the force is too dispersed over time. You plant flat footed and then shift your hips over top your leg - bad. Need to stay behind your front foot, braced against/through it, the push from the rear foot will get you on top after you totally plant. You need to plant from behind you with all your weight moving together from toe to heel, like Best Downswing Weightshift vid linked at the beginning of this thread and Crush the Can part 2 talks about. There should be a little bounce from bracing.

It looks like the issues start with your backswing. You are muscling the disc back with your arm/shoulders instead of using momentum to let it swing freely. Turn your shoulders to get out of the way of the momentum.

The same concept applies moving forward... once the disc has reached it's apex in the backswing, then shift your weight forward to shift the discs momentum forward and turn your shoulders only to get out of the way of the discs momentum. You are using your shoulders to start the discs forward momentum which puts your shoulders ahead of your hips.

It looks like the issues start with your backswing. You are muscling the disc back with your arm/shoulders instead of using momentum to let it swing freely. Turn your shoulders to get out of the way of the momentum.

The same concept applies moving forward... once the disc has reached it's apex in the backswing, then shift your weight forward to shift the discs momentum forward and turn your shoulders only to get out of the way of the discs momentum. You are using your shoulders to start the discs forward momentum which puts your shoulders ahead of your hips.

This is great, for some reason this concept never stuck with me, but the way you worded it made something in my brain click, haha. Thanks! :hfive:

I have this same issue, I feel like my shoulders get in front of my hips. Going to get out to the field today.

Well, yeah backswing is mirrored forward swing. Other thing is your stance is a little bit too narrow and your hips move quite a bit forward without your front foot moving/striding forward with your weight. Your rear foot also spins out. From a standstill it will probably help to try one legged throws, just to get the feeling of throwing on the front leg, the rear foot/toes are just on the ground to balance.

Pretty much. Your weight is still on your rear foot into the power zone, it should be long gone, try the second can crush drill with raising the rear foot about 6" off the ground. You also take the disc way off plane to your shoulders in the hit, keep the disc level to your shoulders and forearm throughout. Hard to tell from the camera angle, but also looks like your balance is a bit too far behind your front heel.

Form Check 4/6/2015

Still working on stuff. Just thought I would provide a different camera angle. Thanks everyone for all your feedback!

Your stance is too closed and your arm/disc are not lined up to your apex, so you swing around yourself and your elbow drops/in too close to the body during the swing. The Yellow arrow through the shoulder is pointed to the apex of your line(hyzer line), that's where your arm and disc should be to pull straight through given your actual flight. The Red arrow through your arm/shoulder is where the disc should be going to if you were swinging straight through. See how much of your body is the way between the disc and what should be your apex(yellow arrow direction). The horizontal yellow line is where your front foot should be, front heel lined up to rear toes, you have a whole foot in-between.

Latest posts