• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Backhand review request

mcreda

Started playing disc golf July 2023. Throwing 7 speed fairway drivers 300 to 325 feet, relatively ok. I'm a 58 year male, fairly fit - but with age comes decreasing flexibility and strength, ugh. I'm interested in getting better at the sport, so figured I'd ask for some input. These throws were executed with about 75% power. I'm pretty sure I need to fix my swing plane (I often reachback too high and swoop), I'm not sure I'm fully braced and weight shifted before I start the forward throw, I'm probably pulling too hard with the arm when I start the forward swing, I'm probably too upright and need more tilted axis, and I probably should be coiling more (I'm old, it's hard to turn my damn shoulders way back, lol). And I sometimes let my off arm flail about, like in these throws, doh! Well, I will stop critiquing my own form and accept your observations and suggestions. Thanks, I appreciate the help.

It looks like you're opening up the front foot slightly before planting and could benefit from a bit more leading with your butt, I think if you focus on keeping it closed and leading more with your butt in the last part of the stride - into the plant, the hips will align better for you to get some more shoulder coil despite having flexibility issues. Leading with the butt also gives some extra oomph and effortless to the throw, but it might take a little time to get used to, it will feel something more like you are falling backward into the plant and perhaps less rotational, but more like you are trapping the disc inside your posture and slinging it out. Maybe a pendulum swing can help work with it, you can also look back at the disc to help your body with the coil and ass to target.

It looks like you're opening up the front foot slightly before planting and could benefit from a bit more leading with your butt, I think if you focus on keeping it closed and leading more with your butt in the last part of the stride - into the plant, the hips will align better for you to get some more shoulder coil despite having flexibility issues. Leading with the butt also gives some extra oomph and effortless to the throw, but it might take a little time to get used to, it will feel something more like you are falling backward into the plant and perhaps less rotational, but more like you are trapping the disc inside your posture and slinging it out. Maybe a pendulum swing can help work with it, you can also look back at the disc to help your body with the coil and ass to target.
Thank you for your helpful review and suggestions. I'm slightly duck-footed in my plant foot/leg, so it tends to land more open than I'd like. But certainly I can do better at closing it and getting the butt more targetward.

I played around with the pendulum swing a few months ago, but I had trouble timing it properly and spraying shots in all directions. I've got 3 months of practice throws and playing rounds in since I last tried and some more control and understanding, so I will revisit the pendulum and see if that helps.

Appreciate that you took the time to review! Cheers!

Camera angle looks a little off down the line.

You are in a more quad dominant position with spine extended, instead of being more hinged from the hip/s in more athletic glute/hammy dominant position and spine flexed slightly forward with shoulders over knees. Terrible Terry Tate would posterize tackling you in that position, while Simon would be in much better position to make a sudden move in any direction or take that tackle on.
Screen Shot 2024-01-07 at 1.27.46 AM.png

Yea, the iPhone camera angle is a bit off from behind. Sorry about that - I didn't realize until I got home and reviewed the video. Will do better next time.

I see almost all the professionals start getting into this hinged 'Simon position' halfway through their x-step. It makes total sense (conceptually) how it's a more athletic position and generate more power, create more space and promote more of a 'pendulum/whip' action. The few times I've tried getting into this position felt weird and off balance. So, I better start doing the drills and working towards achieving this position. Thanks for including the 'battering ram' and 'loading the bow and arrow' videos.

Regarding Terrible Tate - funny clip and I get your point. Brings to mind Chuck 'Concrete Charlie' Bednarik's annihilating Frank Gifford in 1960.

Thanks for taking the time to review my form and your thoughtful response, sidewinder22.

Attachments

• IMG_3727.jpeg
    IMG_3727.jpeg
    524.6 KB · Views: 0
Camera angle looks a little off down the line.

You are in a more quad dominant position with spine extended, instead of being more hinged from the hip/s in more athletic glute/hammy dominant position and spine flexed slightly forward with shoulders over knees. Terrible Terry Tate would posterize tackling you in that position, while Simon would be in much better position to make a sudden move in any direction or take that tackle on.
View attachment 330515

I've got a quick followup.

The load the bow drill makes perfect sense to me. It's a backswing drill and I've started practicing it in my basement with a broomstick. And I understand what the drill is reinforcing and I'm feeling the feels as I practice. Awesome and thank you.

I'm not entirely clear on the Battering Ram drill. Is it a drill to reinforce posture and staying down in the throw? And maybe other good swing goals? It seems there are 3 different arm slots you execute in the drill - low, medium, high. I'm assuming the one that feels right for me is the slot I should be drilling (and throwing) with? I did do a bit of searching on the forums to try and figure out a clear Battering Ram objective but still wasn't able to fully understand the drill's objectives. Could be that I'm a bit dense, ha.

Thanks…

Battering Ram should help with weightshift and posture and finding arm slot.