• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fredericksburg, VA, to Knoxville, TN

swatso

Birdie Member
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Some time soon my family and I will be driving from Maryland through Virginia to eastern Tennessee, and using timg's fantastic map browser and all the reviews, I've identified several courses that I haven't played yet (already did this trip in April of this year, so played a lot of new courses then), but would like to visit this go-round.

While many courses have maps available, some don't. Does anyone have a map and/or navigation guide (or advice), or would like to create some :), for the following courses?

Loriella
Dorey
Peaks View
Emory and Henry
Steele Creek
Winged Deer

Also, because of time constraints, if you had to choose between Dorey or Goyne, which would you choose, and why?

I played Loriella solo without a map and didn't have a hard time navigating the course. I played the short tees, it was fairly straight forward.

I would choose Goyne. Dorey is a short wooded course, and I don't particularly like wooded courses. Goyne, though hard to find the tee pads, is a little more open and challenging.

Have fun on your trip.

Re: Dorey vs. Goyne, I think they're about equal, and personally don't find navigation a challenge at either one - not even the first time I played. Plus the signage has improved at Goyne recently. Just a matter of personal tastes really, so I think -

Dorey is more wooded, and probably a little easier, even from the longs. But it's nice and quiet and relaxing back there. Goyne is more open, a little longer, but on a scruffy piece of land. It does have a natural spring though, you don't see that on every course. And not that Dorey is pristine virgin forest or anything close to that.

Goyne is 5-10 minutes off I-95. Dorey is way out east of town, and even once you park it's a five-minute walk to the first tee. Not a negative in my book, but your schedule may vary.

Goyne has a nice big map right next to the practice basket next to the parking lot. Dorey seems to have less signs every time I go out there.

Goyne at least has half the holes with one level tee area, and even those that are completely natural, most aren't too rough. Dorey has a lot of roots and inclines to deal with.

Lots of Goyne is pretty muddy after a rain. Or even a week after a rain. There's one run of holes down by the spring and a stream where I've gotten muddy every single time. Dorey is a little better in that regard, it's only muddy during rainy periods, and then only on a couple holes. I've heard that the grass sometimes gets too long at Goyne, that would be a problem in my view. That's certainly not an issue at Dorey - it's pretty much all woods.

I've been playing Dorey since I started throwing, it was a good course to learn on. I have a soft spot for it and am always happy to be there. Goyne I've played maybe six times, and while it didn't make a great first impression, it's certainly growing on me. The addition of signs and improved tee areas has helped. Neither is a high end course, but both are time well spent.

At Emory and Henry E-mail Jim Harrison at [email protected] . He runs the Outdoor adventure program and might be able to help. This link shows the location of the course. The parking lot is the arrow. http://maps.google.com/maps?q=36.77....771983,-81.827159&spn=0.003068,0.006968&z=18 The course is the open and hill area below the picture.

I found this to be one of the most memorable courses I have played. The scenery and maintenance are great and it is so peaceful.

With Dorey and Goyne I would agree with jaymon1 for the most part. But Dorey is easier to get to and has restrooms, picnic areas, and it is only 5 minutes off the interstate. If I had to pick 1 it would be Dorey. The signs aren't great but it is played enough that it is not hard to follow and it does not have the heavy brier areas that Goyne has.

Also, because of time constraints, if you had to choose between Dorey or Goyne, which would you choose, and why?
Bryan Park

I don't see it on your list of courses played. It's my favorite Richmond course, but I haven't played Goyne. I consider Jaymon the Richmond authority, and from what he's written Goyne doesn't seem like it's as good. Plus Bryan is less than 5 minutes off of I-95; it's right there. Read Jaymon on Bryan because his review is spot on. That review cannot be improved.

Bryan Park

Everyone,

Thanks for your responses so far.

To answer Olorin's question, I didn't ask about Bryan because it has a map available online at this site. My post is only asking about courses along my route that don't have maps/navigation guides.

I plan on playing Bryan, and either Dorey or Goyne - only have time to play two courses while passing thru the Richmond-area.

Swatso

Bryan Park

I don't see it on your list of courses played. It's my favorite Richmond course, but I haven't played Goyne. I consider Jaymon the Richmond authority, and from what he's written Goyne doesn't seem like it's as good. Plus Bryan is less than 5 minutes off of I-95; it's right there. Read Jaymon on Bryan because his review is spot on. That review cannot be improved.

Here is a map I made for Loriella (last edited in January 2006)
Not sure of any changes since then.

Loriella01302006.jpg

I just added a pdf of Timber's Loriella Map to the Files section of Loriella.

Nice map Timber!

that loriella map is no longer accurate- several holes have been redesigned. i'll see if i can get the new improved version from bob cannon.

bryan and dorey would be my 2 choices in richmond- they complement each other well. play the longer tees at dorey. dorey is pretty accessible off of the bypass.

I agree that Dorey and Bryan complement each other well. I've enjoyed playing Dunncroft and then Bryan in the same day a few times, because they are close together, and one is everything the other is not, and vice versa. And Dorey is definitely better than Dunncroft.

Does anyone have a map and/or navigation guide (or advice), or would like to create some :), for the following courses?

Winged Deer

Winged Deer's orginal 9 holes made it my favorite 9-holer of 70 I have played. Fabulous variety of hole shapes (lots of interesting/challenging ones too) and use of terrain. Very very scenic too! Those holes are easy to navigagte and flow really well.

The new 9 (you branch out after hole 5 original and then rejoin the original course for the last holes) are in a cedar grove that is not pretty at all. There are several blind shots into areas with lots of velcro disc-eating cedars. I advise sending a spotter ahead to watch where you land, or just pitching down the fairway on those holes. It flows pretty well so a map is not necessary, IMO.

Say hi to Cornbread if you see him. :D (he's a local legend who always seems to be popping out of nowhere to chat and play along).

Mission accomplished - for now

Thanks everyone for their responses.

A special thanks to the combination of people who created and posted the Loriella map - it made navigating the course a cinch.

I played 15 courses, 13 new to me, over a span of seven days. This is how I rated them. The reviews are already posted for all but Winged Deer, if you want more details. CAPS means I had played them previously

Bryan - my first attempts (successful!) throwing over ponds
Falling Creek - beautiful park, dog-level water fountain
Fossil Hill - John has built a nice course on his farm
MORRISTOWN - well-designed, signed, clean wooded course

Warriors Path - graffiti major problem, extra six holes very good

Loriella - needs signs and tee improvements to raise the course a notch
Emory and Henry - solid, on a nice campus
Steele Creek - looking forward to concrete tees and nine new holes, scenic

Goyne - tees a mess, errant throws could cause problems on tight course
Pratt - holes 12-18 very interesting, weak most every other way
Peaks View - a great beginner course, or for birdie work
Winged Deer - strong start, needs to continue throughout

Roan Mountain - flat and open, great signs and tees, R.I.P. Starfire :-(
WALROND - good luck finding ground-level tees on open course

Nolichucky Bluffs - gotta see it, or read about it, to believe it ...

I have reaon to travel from Nashville to Baltimore in the near future, so plan on visiting some new courses then, including Seven Oaks in Nashville and Walnut Creek near Charlottesville.

Latest posts