• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

FREE VINYL!!!!

i don't have problems with controltac. i've used it since i started so i know how to avoid the "streaks"

i have no idea what "glass etching" is, sorry :\

I did it in middle school. You basically apply an acidic paste to the glass using the vinyl as a stencil then it gives you the frosted glass look. I may grab a scrap piece of glass to try after I move just to see. If it works I may start having some more fun with this vinyl because I know it would take a lifetime to even go through the 4 rolls I have. But if I can find more uses for it the better and if it works it gives more options to you guys.

Will do. I just watched a tutorial on Youtube and the vinyl should work well. They were even using painters tape for the borders and it doesn't penetrate that either so I'm looking forward to this. Maybe after testing it I will put together a tutorial for you guys.

I did it in middle school. You basically apply an acidic paste to the glass using the vinyl as a stencil then it gives you the frosted glass look. I may grab a scrap piece of glass to try after I move just to see. If it works I may start having some more fun with this vinyl because I know it would take a lifetime to even go through the 4 rolls I have. But if I can find more uses for it the better and if it works it gives more options to you guys.

I said the same thing, and now I'm almost out. I'm amazed how quickly I tore through 4 rolls of vinyl!

Well I don't dye as much as you guys and currently out of money for discs right now so I need to find some new uses for the vinyl. I still have at least half of my first roll left and the other three are still in boxes.

I just magically keep getting more rolls sent to me.

I made one order and I only got 1 roll, the other roll was on backorder.

I waited a few weeks to contact them about the backordered roll. Then they send another roll. A day later I get another roll. And yesterday I got another roll!

I think it was the one that was originally backordered.

Everything's coming up milhouse!

I just magically keep getting more rolls sent to me.

I made one order and I only got 1 roll, the other roll was on backorder.

I waited a few weeks to contact them about the backordered roll. Then they send another roll. A day later I get another roll. And yesterday I got another roll!

I think it was the one that was originally backordered.

Everything's coming up milhouse!

Nice apparently 3M is really paying attention to their shipping orders lol. I had to have my Mom order the 2nd pair of rolls and will have my wife order my 3rd pair after we move so we have a new address and don't create any suspicion. lol

the paper backing they use for controltac has ridges so you can squeeze out air bubbles more easily, but they can leave "streaks" on your disc after dyeing if you don't REALLLY flatten out the streaks

is there something wrong with using controltac for dyeing discs?

If you're not careful with your application, you can get "line bleeds." which are very small parallel lines of spacing between the adhesive. Kinda looks like shading.
I had this problem early, don't really have any pics of it since it's not a problem for me now.

See the vertical streaky lines inside the logo?
picture.php

you can remedy those by flipping over your xacto knife and using the flattened part of the knife's "handle" to press the edge of cuts.

it takes a little bit of time and practice (don't push too hard or you'll rip the vinyl, not hard enough - you still get streaks)

What do ya'll use for transfer tape? I currently use 2" 3M 2209 masking tape and remove a lot of the tack by placing and stripping on my couch and office chair. I reuse the tape over and over and over too.

I just never really liked the 3m stuff for whatever reason. I used it for stickers and that was perfect. Just never liked it for dyeing. I found a huge roll if 651 on ebay for $20 and remember how much I liked it. I also tried greenstar which I really like except the adhesive is spotty in some places which sucks.

usually i use blue painters tape for delicate surfaces, but i picked up some "provo craft" transfer tape and it's pretty nice

Latest posts