• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

FREE VINYL!!!!

does any one know if the Ij170cv3-10 and 7125-10 are good

I got the 170 and the 180 (controltac and scotchcal) They work OK but you need to heat up the applied vinyl with a hairdryer or heat gun and really burnish your edges or you end up with the classic 3m parallel line bleeds. They both tend to leave a lot of sticky residue behind also. For the amount they send you though, it is worth the extra effort to not have to pay for vinyl for a year or more (depending how much dyeing you do)
(I have switched to oracal651 and will likely not use the 3m i have left over)
hope this helps

I got the 170 and the 180 (controltac and scotchcal) They work OK but you need to heat up the applied vinyl with a hairdryer or heat gun and really burnish your edges or you end up with the classic 3m parallel line bleeds. They both tend to leave a lot of sticky residue behind also. For the amount they send you though, it is worth the extra effort to not have to pay for vinyl for a year or more (depending how much dyeing you do)
(I have switched to oracal651 and will likely not use the 3m i have left over)
hope this helps

:thmbup:, thx

I just received my 3m vinyl today and they screwed up and sent me two rolls and the first one is 48 by 5 yards and the other is 48 by 50. So I think i will never have to buy vinyl again. Its like winning the lottery. and i found out a good friend of mine has a plotter that will work perfect for the stencils.

So they called me today and said they generally don't send out rolls for dyeing discs. They will only send me a few sheets. You're better off telling them you are starting a sign business and you want to test out their products before you make a purchase.

Oracle sent me one little a$$ sheet. How are you guys getting enough oracle to do multiple discs..help me out man contact paper sucks in comparision

Oracle sent me one little a$$ sheet. How are you guys getting enough oracle to do multiple discs..help me out man contact paper sucks in comparision

I'm pretty sure they buy it.....

First off I know this thread has been dead for awhile.. That being said, I did actually follow the links to see if they were still good.

They in fact are.
The day after submiting the registration online I got a call from 3m. She asked what I was doing, I told her lookibg for something that was compatible to Oracal 651. She helped me choose which vinyl to get.

I was exstatic. A couple of days goes by and I have a note on my door saying that US had stopped by to deliver a package and I called to set up to pick it up from the UPS depot.

I went to pick it up hoping that it was a large box that had a couple of rolls of vinyl in it... Sadly I was disappointed to see a UPS envelope that was shipped Next Day Air.

Inside this envelope was six sheets of 8x10" samples.

Although these will work for doing a total dye with a centralized design, they won't cover the whole disc to do just a small part of the disc.

I am still waiting on the samples coming from Oracal, and will update on the status of what comes in.

I took a chance and followed the link hoping it was still viable. I submitted my request for the samples about 2 weeks ago. Never recieved a phoncall or a confirmation email,

Today I was sitting at the kitchen table working on a stencil with my crappy contact paper when a ups truck pulls up, the driver emerges from the back with 2 rolls of vinyl from 3M :)

Needless to say I can't wait to try it out.

Man, this STILL isn't a thread about someone giving away their LP collection. :(

EVERYTIME this thread pops up I freak out, only to be disappointed. :D :rolleyes:

I think you'll like working with vinyl better than contact (although i've never used contact paper) paper! Just be sure to get any big bubbles out before dyeing! BTW, how big were the rolls?

I think you'll like working with vinyl better than contact (although i've never used contact paper) paper! Just be sure to get any big bubbles out before dyeing! BTW, how big were the rolls?

Yeah I can't wait to start using it.
The dimensions for the rolls are 54in x 15feet, So its a decent amount and its free:)

I did read earlier in this thread about the air channels in the adhesive to make for a quick release, but they cause bleeding of the dye.

Yeah I can't wait to start using it.
The dimensions for the rolls are 54in x 15feet, So its a decent amount and its free:)

I did read earlier in this thread about the air channels in the adhesive to make for a quick release, but they cause bleeding of the dye.

They work awesome for me. The only time I'll have bleeds is with deep stamps like Discraft discs usually have.

got this email back today after submitting yesterday...

dear duff,
thank you for contacting 3m commercial graphics. before i can begin to process your request i need to know which product you would like to test and for what kind of application, then i will be able to forward to your local 3m representative to qualify.

best,
kaylee

soooooo i replied saying im not sure which, id like to try some form of rolled vinyl. i use it for promotional decals as well as to cut stencils to dye custom golf discs and ive used a sample of oracle 651 in the past and would be looking for something similar to that but more easily available and cost effective.

so we shall see what transpires.

They work awesome for me. The only time I'll have bleeds is with deep stamps like Discraft discs usually have.

Thanks. I cut a 4x4 square to try it out as far as cutting the stencil and I can honestly tell the difference between vinyl and contact paper.

The next disc is my Blizzard Wraith so I shouldn't have to worry about the deeps stamp.

Latest posts