• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Frolf vs. Disc Golf

If you are, out with your bro's, bro'ing down, disc in one hand, 6 pack in the other, you are frolfing.

If you are, with 2+ other guys, with 6 bosses and a polecat each, throwing 6 shots at every hole, for each one of you, you are frolfing.

If your journey to the course starts like this;

"Hey bro"
Whats up bro
"Lets go frolf bro"
Ahhh yeahhhb bro, i havent frolfed in like a week bro
"Ok bro, ill meet you there in like 30 minutes"

45 minutes later bro 1 shows up, 30 minutes after that bro 2 shows up, both are wearing flip flops

Hey bro, i totally left my disc at home bro, do you have on i can borrow?
"Yeah bro, i have a shark in my trunk *pulls out dx 150g shark", here ya go"
*bro five*

You are frolfing

..like^^^^

who says bolf?

its stick golf, or:

rich people golf

No, it's none of those. It's GOLF, or if you insist on a preceding adjective, "REAL GOLF".

I realize this may upset some people here, but this has been annoying the hell out if me since I joined this board. I don't remember people being this militant, or having this kind of inferiority complex when I played disc years ago. We realized that we were a niche, spin-off sport, and accepted this. Just like there is SKIING, and Cross Country Skiing, HOCKEY, Field Hockey, Roller Hockey, etc, there is Golf, and disc/frisbee golf. Real hockey is played on ice, and real golf is played with clubs, and a ball. Ask 98% of the world what hockey is, and they'll mention skates. Ask 99.9999% of the world how to play golf and they'll mention clubs.

When we denigrate the sport that inspired the creation of ours by calling it absurd names like "rich person golf" or "stick golf", we in turn cheapen our sport in the eyes of the majority. Not only that, we give off the appearance of having an inferiority complex about our game, instead of enjoying it's unique culture. I participate in golf, frisbee golf, hockey, and roller hockey, so I understand the friction that sometimes exists between people who participate in the spinoff sport, and it's original predecessor. I just feel that those of us who choose to play the secondary sports need to acknowledge the role played by the original sports, and respect them more, rather than feeling the need to act like attention hungry younger siblings (even though we are) and tear down the original.

I acknowledge that both "Real" hockey and "Real" golf are costly activities that not everyone can participate in. However, if we are truly serious about "growing" disc golf we need to drop the "fight the man" hippie attitude, and try to show our sport in a positive light. I've brought several golfing buddies into the world of disc golf by demonstrating that the same values that make golf unique (honor, self-policing of rules violations, courtesy, etc) all exist in disc golf as well. A couple have decided it's not for them, and that's fine, but a couple others now play regularly.

While both exist, the stereotypical "long-haired pothead blazing his brains out, being followed by his dog, and tossing a frisbee around " is no more common on a disc golf course than the snotty blue-blooded yuppy is on an average municipal golf course. Lets be the bigger people, and quit painting with a broad brush about other sports.

If you are, out with your bro's, bro'ing down, disc in one hand, 6 pack in the other, you are frolfing.

If you are, with 2+ other guys, with 6 bosses and a polecat each, throwing 6 shots at every hole, for each one of you, you are frolfing.

If your journey to the course starts like this;

"Hey bro"
Whats up bro
"Lets go frolf bro"
Ahhh yeahhhb bro, i havent frolfed in like a week bro
"Ok bro, ill meet you there in like 30 minutes"

45 minutes later bro 1 shows up, 30 minutes after that bro 2 shows up, both are wearing flip flops

Hey bro, i totally left my disc at home bro, do you have on i can borrow?
"Yeah bro, i have a shark in my trunk *pulls out dx 150g shark", here ya go"
*bro five*

You are frolfing

you trying to say im a bro lol?

Latest posts