• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Gateway Karma vs Discraft Buzzz

Stud Muffin

Banned
Ok, the Buzzz comes in a million different plastics, even GL... I mean Ti, ahem, and has a world known reputation. We know what the Buzzz Doezzz.

The Gateway Karma is the curious new creature on the block. At first feel, with some rounding in the grip, the feel is very Element, but enough lip to not have that 'it could fly out of my hand at any moment' feel that the Element carries.

Now the Roc is my ultimate 'don't know what to throw? throw the Roc' disc.

But the Roc is not always as easy to shape shots, and frankly, I am not interested in carrying 3 Rocs in different points of wear. ...I do not even like that philosophy, because any disc in your bag can be lost at any time, and if you can not go out and order a new one and have that same flight, then you should consider a new mold. *my 2 cents

Ok, back to subject, I wanted a mid disc that I could stretch out a little longer, and really, felt more like throwing a dart at my target with some more ability to work the shot with ease.

Ease.

^That is my major point. I do not want a touchy disc. I had my Element in this slot, and I made some awesome throws with it. I also seen it swan dive right at unexpected times. <~not cool...

So what I am looking for is something with a little 'umph' that can handle an unexpected gush or a bad wind read. (more of #2 than #1...) Something that will fly and not go right without a fight.

But still, I wanted a disc less stable than the Roc. I just want a better feeling, straighter flying alternative on calmer days.

At the St Louis Open a few days ago I got a E Karma from David Mac. Went out and played a round with it. Facing a 290' hole, a small but noticeable headwind, I decided this would be a great comparison point. So I fired my 180 Elite-X Buzzz, went out there, went right, hit dirt. Then I fired the 180 Karma, and also went right but much more slowly than the Buzzz, hung on, and eventually started fading back, which made the added airtime = added distance, and thus 'saving my bacon' in the said situation.

Now, I have heard that the Z plastic Buzzz is more stable than the Elite-X is. That is why I am making this thread, because I am well pleased with my Karma, and I would like to know if a Z Buzzz makes that much more of a difference, or if anyone made a stability comparison between the two.

Both great discs, I am just surprised how well the Karma worked for me, thus, it is in my bag. :D :thmbup:

I throw Z Buzzzes. The E Karma is noticeably more stable than the Z Buzzz. I'd say the Karma falls somewhere closer to the Wasp in terms of stability, but the Karma is a bit faster.

I picked up one of these Karma's 2 months ago, I like it well enough to keep it in my bag most rounds. Might get another one at some point for a back up.

i have a s karma its trash
and i love gateway,
i throw a buzzz and a flat roc

disc goes not give me any distance i must be throwing it wrong or have to power grip it fan grip it goes nowhere and is squirly ill field test again and report spent about 20 minutes throwing 2 of them

I played a pretty windy day in West City, and the Karma held up to all of the head winds. I never threw the Roc 1 time. While I am a bit more familiar with the Roc, the Karma my aim was never off. I came up short on a few approaches, but that was just a lack of familiarity with the disc. I never missed too far left or right, it definitely felt like throwing a beefier Buzzz.

Since on massive windy and wind gust days I approach with my 11x Firebird anyways, I am going to remove the Roc from my bag, and see how I do for a while. I may put the Element back in for a understable mid.