• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Gateway misconceptions and viewpoints

I'm a disc minimalist interested in exploring Gateway. What would make a good two-disc midrange combo from Gateway?

I'm thinking Mystic/Karma. (I'm not looking for something super OS)

What do you think?

Best pairs are Karma/Element and Scout/Mystic, each pair has a similar rim and tooling, if you like classic feeling mids go with the first, if you want something a little shallower and more driver-like, the latter.

I live in St. Louis and I spoke to Dave in the shop about Evo Chiefs and Chief OS's. He told me that he'd eventually get around to it, but he's been trying to sell the business so he hasn't really been focused on upping production.

That makes me sad. Gateway won't be Gateway without Dave Mac. They have a cult following around here, and it's pretty uncommon to see people not using gateway putters (especially at leagues and local events)

I always respected Dave for how he ran Gateway, not trying to be a direct competitor to the big production boys, and doing things his own way. He's done a ton to progress the disc golf community by building courses, and always being one of the first to donate to programs designed to get more women and kids interested in playing.

As for run consistency/variation or whatever you want to call it, Dave has been pretty open with me when I've discussed with him the past that he's not trying to make every run the same. He knows that most everyone likes a different feel to the putters and caters to them buying stacks whenever a run comes through that someone may like. Makes it tough if you can't check them out in person but if you know what you're looking for it's pretty awesome.

Last edited:
I live in St. Louis and I spoke to Dave in the shop about Evo Chiefs and Chief OS's. He told me that he'd eventually get around to it, but he's been trying to sell the business so he hasn't really been focused on upping production.

oh man, is that really true? that would really suck, i just can't imagine gateway without him. I love me some wizards, but they've got a buncha underrated molds.

While this may be news to some of us on the forum it isn't really news in general. They do have some underrated molds, and to some of the criticisms on here (mine included) they are making big efforts to change some things. The midranges have new stamps (save the scout). Also with the underground there is a big push into social media. For those of you that are having a hard time getting answers digitally I suggest looking up MIke Wood or Gateway Underground on Facebook. No those aren't perfect, but it is a step in the right direction.

Any mold that is a good mold will likely not go away under good leadership. Even with new leadership I wouldn't see the putting line-up change, nor the chief line up. The mids may get cleaned up some, but likely stay.

I say we pull a Green Bay Packers and have the fans buy the business and put someone in charge to run the day to day. I know in the Packers case it is just a way to get funding directly from the public, but I like the idea anyway. Who wouldn't want to own not "a" but "the" Wizard.

Last edited:
While this may be news to some of us on the forum it isn't really news in general. They do have some underrated molds, and to some of the criticisms on here (mine included) they are making big efforts to change some things. The midranges have new stamps (save the scout). Also with the underground there is a big push into social media. For those of you that are having a hard time getting answers digitally I suggest looking up MIke Wood or Gateway Underground on Facebook. No those aren't perfect, but it is a step in the right direction.

Any mold that is a good mold will likely not go away under good leadership. Even with new leadership I wouldn't see the putting line-up change, nor the chief line up. The mids may get cleaned up some, but likely stay.

Really hope to see the mids stay, they are very underrated, always available in good flat firm S line.

I've joked for years if I hit the lotto one of the first things I'd do is offer to buy gateway.

Wanted to share my recent Gateway customer service experience. I was on the lookout for my regular yearly restock of Wizards. I contacted Gateway Underground via email. They responded quickly to my questions and soon I had picked out a nice stack of Soft Wizards that they had recently run marked PWP. I placed my order (5 for $48) Wednesday evening and received my discs Saturday morning. Very nice discs, all 100% identical. The plastic is really nice, a variation on RDG plastic as I understand it. Given the choice I would prefer to go directly to the manufacturer every time.

I don't mind Gateway's low key social media presence. It is a breath of fresh air really, given how commercial our sport has become over the last five years.

Granted I only throw Wizards, but to echo what others have said Gateway makes the best base plastic in the business.

I honestly have no idea. We talked in passing and he said that he had been trying to sell it to an investment group, I believe, and that his focus was there and not on production.