• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] Glow Plastic Comparison

roggenb3

* Ace Member *
Here are my thoughts on the various types of glow plastic, since I now own 6 (I just picked up a vibram glo trak and a lat64 moonshine escape today). I'd like to hear other's opinions and observations of these and any other glow plastics I don't have. What are your favorites? How do you feel glow holds up against non-glow lines?

I ran a quick, unscientific test to see how they stacked up for the glow characteristics. Went into a completely 100% dark closet and charged all of the discs up with a 54 LED UV flashlight as qucikly and similarly as I could. Then observed.

Initial Brightness:

1.Vibram Xlink Glo
2.Gateway Superglow
3.Lat64 Moonshine
4.Innova Champ Glo
5.Discraft Glo
6.Innova DX Glo

Lasting Power:

1. Vibram Xlink Glo
2. Gateway SuperGlow
3. Lat64 Moonshine
4. Discraft Glo
5. Innova Champ Glo
6. Innova DX Glo

After 2 hours Vibram and Gateway were both still bright enough to find if you were playing on a dark night. After 3 hours the Gateway was still visible, but Vibram was probably still bright enough to find on a dark night. Clearly, these 2 are in a class of their own.

Lat64, Discraft and Innova Champ all last very near the same amount. All of them were very faint after 15 min and all but dead after 20 min.

Innova DX is completely out in 10-12 min. I wouldn't use it for anything except putters.

Quality of Plastic:

This is a subjective ranking for sure, it is simply a ranking of how much I like each line, without taking glo characteristics into consideration. I haven't gotten to throw the Vibram or Lat64 yet though.

1. Innova Champ Glo - I think I like champ glo better than straight up champion - my champ glo roadrunner may be the disc I can throw the furthest, and my glo valykrie is uber-consistent.
2. Gateway SuperGlow - I don't own a ton of Gateway, but my favorite disc of thiers is my Superglow Element
3. Innova DX Glow - Slightly grippier dx plastic? Solid.
4. Discraft - Meh.

Vibram - havent thrown it yet, but it feels awesome. A touch softer than regular xlink (medium) I would say.
Lat64 - Feels exactly like Innova Champ Glo to me.

In my opinion MVP Eclipse Glow brightness and duration is better than innova, lat64 and discraft discs i have tried.. some runs are better than other though.

With the right light charge the MVP are extremely bright

have not tried the vibram or gateway though..

It is kind of funny… I own and use at least 2 different glow discs constantly (when I used to throw Voodoo putters I had 2 more, and I had 2 eclipse Ions when I threw those) and I have never played a glow round. I like the glow plastic for its slightly OS characteristics I think. They make a great compliment to their non-glow counterparts.

I think I will have to charge my glow discs and see what happens tonight, since I don't think I have ever had them out in the dark, and as such, I have never seen if they even glow.

^If your glow discs are used during the day a lot they will not be as bright or hold a charge as long. its best to keep glow discs for night rounds stored in darkness-- using them regularly in daylight weakens them.

^If your glow discs are used during the day a lot they will not be as bright or hold a charge as long. its best to keep glow discs for night rounds stored in darkness-- using them regularly in daylight weakens them.

I did not know that. But it makes sense. I use my glo roadrunner all the time in the day, and for glow rounds and havent noticed a dropoff yet compared to the other discs, but I only had it for half the season or so last year. Ill have to buy a second one.

it gets bleached out by UV rays and, then, won't retain it's color or it's glowing power as glow products actually produce little chemical reactions which can be spent up like any other fuel source. Lots of different "glow" materials out there though so that's why there is such a huge difference in quality.

The gateway superglow stuff that I have is harder to get charged up, but then it's brighter (almost too bright to see the basket when putting) and lasts longer than anything else in my glow bag.
I also have a ESP-FLX Glow Buzzz that is very bright, but I would say it doesn't out last anything else.
I don't notice much of a difference between the rest of my bag (CH, DX, Z, and Moonshine), other than I don't like how slick CH and Z glow are.
The moonshine is pretty grippy, but I like the DX the best.
I wish I could afford to buy a complete new vibram setup.

Latest posts