• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Glow Supplies!!

allenhoop

Par Member
Hello all,

I am putting on a glow tournament in a week and a half and am looking into ordering glow supplies to light up the course and the baskets! I have some things in mind, but wanted to see if anyone on here has any suggestions for supplies that they know work well, or brands/things to avoid.

I am looking to find the best possible value. The tournament is one round of 22 holes, it would be nice if the glow lasted about 4-5 hours solid.

Colorfulness is a plus.

Thanks!

How are you planning the light up the course beyond the baskets?

I personally prefer a couple thin glow necklaces hung from the basket chain supports and nothing else, course-wise. Glow works best with as little light as possible. Your eyes will adjust pretty fast to the darkness, and discs will glow brighter.

Attachments

• Glow.jpg
    Glow.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 11
The local dollar Tree has tons of that stuff for a $1. If you have on in your area, that'd be the best bang for your buck.

Other than that led can do the same thing... Just be aware that to much led can be very bright and easily hurt your eyes in the dark.

The course we are playing is on private property and rough terrain outside of the city. It's a great course for glow because it's extremely dark, but not a lot of local folks here have played it, so I wanted to light the way between holes to help guide newbies.

I am definitely buying supplies online in bulk, so I will stick to Amazon as opposed to a dollar store, but it's good to know that they have supplies in case I need some quick!

Little light is better IMHO once your eyes adjust to the dark it's easier to see. Tell your player to not use bright flashlights they kill your night vision. Black light led are great at supercharging glow discs and not messing with night vision. I like 2 glow necklaces wrapped around the pool in a double helix shape for lighting baskets up. They will last the 4-5 hours that you need. I usually buy a bulk pack online. Don't recall what site right now but they were like pretty cheap to get. Like $.20-$.30 each when you buy 100.

Battery Operated LED X-Mas lights are great. You can find them at discount stores or Amazon for around $3 or so for a 5' string. Great for lighting up baskets.

Glow sticks are a cheap option, but can become dislodged fairly easily with their weight and the shaking of a strong putt or ace.

Glow in the dark tape works if you have people charge it up every hole, but that's a pain and often (in my experience) glow rounds are fun rounds with a decent majority of people cracking a few beers and then forgetting to shine the basket before moving on.

My favorite local glow club uses 2 large glow sticks (think grade school marker sized) at the side of each tee-pad and Batt Op LED Rope lights on baskets. Makes for a good visual and a hell of a lot of fun. About a $80 investment in lights/batteries for 18 holes for the setup and then $15 in batteries (50-pack) each round after. In my opinion, extremely worth it if it's a recurring event! :thmbup:

Tape and uv charge as you go works fine IMHO. Seen the glow duct tape last for months. Far less waste than one use crap or watch battery eaters.

Private course? Step up hard and light some tiki torches on top of baskets! That would be wicked sweet action.

I have a modest stockpile of button batteries and LEDs and such, being that I collect watches as well as dabble in basic electronics (breadboard/arduino type junk).

I'd look into just making a bunch of LED Throwies, as people seem to call them. Literally just an LED diode taped to a button battery. Even without a resistor, it'll last your entire event and can be disassembled until next time.

Pathing between holes would be a neat breadcrumb effect, either just drop them on the ground to follow or tape them to trees.

Supplies would be cheaper than glowsticks. Batteries are less than 50 cents a pop, LEDs low as 5 cents a pop.

The LED lights can be found cheaper from a seller on etsy. There 10 for $10, so it's a good deal. I recommend white duck tape to put them on the discs. It holds better than packing tape and the light shines through it well.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/183802...t at all in the park, it's not a good choice.

While your plugging around on Amazon, you can't go wrong with a 51 LED UV aluminum flashlight for $11 + shipping.
They work way better than the 9 LED UV's available at most local stores for about the same price.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008133KB4?psc=1