• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Going in the water

do those things actually work? i just can't see how they would snag something if it were edge-down. do they penetrate down through the muck?
Golden Retrievers work quite well, but they have their limits... if the water is full of growth, twigs and branches and stuff to get snagged on, it can make retrieval tough or impossible. They will sink into soft bottoms enough to get under the disc so it can be recovered.

I'll say this without exaggeration: since I got mine, I've been able to get every wet disc that I could see. 15ft (that's the length of my line) farther from shore than you might think. You can use a longer line, but the farther away the disc is, the harder it is to throw the device behind it and line up to catch the disc as you pull it in.

Takes some getting used to, but the bottom line is, it works pretty freakin' well and doesn't take up much room/weight in your bag, so it's always available when you need it.

3 things really:

Golden Retriever
Water discs (used non valuable versions of my other throwers for long water carries)
Safe Play

means I don't swim with water moccasins

But in case I do... there's swim trunks and water shoes in my trunk along with a beach towel.

Golden Retrievers work quite well, but they have their limits... if the water is full of growth, twigs and branches and stuff to get snagged on, it can make retrieval tough or impossible. They will sink into soft bottoms enough to get under the disc so it can be recovered.

I'll say this without exaggeration: since I got mine, I've been able to get every wet disc that I could see. 15ft (that's the length of my line) farther from shore than you might think. You can use a longer line, but the farther away the disc is, the harder it is to throw the device behind it and line up to catch the disc as you pull it in.

Takes some getting used to, but the bottom line is, it works pretty freakin' well and doesn't take up much room/weight in your bag, so it's always available when you need it.

second this, except I use the long string that came with it, the banks at our local creek are about 15' high themselves so we get alot of practice with long throws with the things

Sometimes I think I'm better at retrieving then putting

Last edited:
I keep a few Lightning #2 Drivers for any hole with risky water. Only $7.99, speed 8 and they float. Also use them for other dangerous holes like Cedar Alley at Bradford Park. I hate losing discs, but no problem if I lose one of these.

I myself do not going swimming but I have on occasion (twice) paid Cyclop's son to go in after my discs. Val went in and got my disc at Vineland DGC in New Jersey on hole 15 or 16....short little hole which you can throw a putter on if you hit the line correctly...threw it just off a tad and it hit a little branch which sent it into some horrible murky waters...Val just jumped rigtht in like it was a swimming pool...turned out the disc never made it into the water as it was on the bank of the hill under some branches...still paid him $5 for his efforts...the second time was at Sellersville DG in PA...threw it in the middle of a decent creek and he just jumped right in and got it and took the $5.

I've seen some guys do some pretty scary stuff...Me and Disc Fiend saw some guy swimming in the cess pool found at Stafford Woods in New Jersey. The guy had his shirt off and just swimming around in the pond looking for his discs. The scary part about that pond is there is all kinds of crap thrown in there like rusted pipes and glass bottles all over the place.

I can see going into the creek on hole 18 at Jordan Creek or someplace where you can actually see fish swimming around that have the standard two eyes and fins. But I'm not looking to go into water where if you've ever seen the Simpson's episode where Homer dumps the toxic waste into the river and some squirell falls into the river and comes out with like a hundred eyes..no thanks...I'll pay you to go in there but my azz is staying dry. The only way I will go in there is if I throw my 8x Kc Pro Roc in those waters and I'm not dumb enough to throw that disc over that kind of water hazard.

3 things really:

Sometimes I think I'm better at retrieving then putting

im pretty awful but i probably just need to do more field work. there's a small, clean pond behind my parents' house. next time i'm up that way, i'm going to do some solid work with my retriever lines

i have spent over an hour in the water looking for some of my discs. I hade one at Osage disc golf course that took a big skip and went about 6 feet in. of course i could not see it. I then went to my buddies and got a rake and i raked it up. i brought crappy shoes and jeans. i got it back. of course i no longer have it but yes i have spent an hour.

Now on another though i had a disc that was on ice at Idlewild that i lashed 2 trees together and when i say trees i mean 60 feet totals so 30 foot trees. to get a disc out on the pond that was on ice. took well over an hour. got that back and also no longer have it.

I keep a few Lightning #2 Drivers for any hole with risky water. Only $7.99, speed 8 and they float. Also use them for other dangerous holes like Cedar Alley at Bradford Park. I hate losing discs, but no problem if I lose one of these.

I hate that hole with a passion. It ate my very first disc, a sweet 169 Orange Avenger SS. And the other week it ate my Prodigy D4 which I luckily got a call on a got back.

It's eaten tons of others ones which I'd found after lengthy searches.

i have spent over an hour in the water looking for some of my discs. I hade one at Osage disc golf course that took a big skip and went about 6 feet in. of course i could not see it. I then went to my buddies and got a rake and i raked it up. i brought crappy shoes and jeans. i got it back. of course i no longer have it but yes i have spent an hour.

Now on another though i had a disc that was on ice at Idlewild that i lashed 2 trees together and when i say trees i mean 60 feet totals so 30 foot trees. to get a disc out on the pond that was on ice. took well over an hour. got that back and also no longer have it.

So what you are telling us is that you have wasted 2 hours of your life for a couple of pieces of plastic that you eventually got rid of anyway. :p

Dude, that's nothing. I have gone in swamps up to my waist, rivers..ponds that were covered in algae , I dove in a lake over my head and dove down and felt the bottom, popped up for air, did this on repeat for an hour until i found it.

People who know me know 'I do NOT give up on a disc' . Which is why I never ever write my name or number on a disc. 'If I don't find it...somebody else deserves to have it'.

My discs don't get lost...they just get sneaky and hard to find...

With that said there have been a few times where I couldn't go after a disc. 1-Thrown and turned over in the wind and went into a deep lake about 50 ft out.. 2- I through a Clear Wraith and it zipped into some tall grass. I looked for 2 hours and with a few other people...i think I hit a black hole, because that thing was 'GONE'

I'll go into water to get discs (mine or a playing partner), but I do have my limits.
At least I think I have my limits, just haven't lost a disc in a body of water that I wouldn't go in...yet.

I have played Trophy Lakes more than any other course (estimate is about 500 - 700 rounds over the past 8 years) and water is in play from the longs on 11 holes. When I first started playing at TL, I always threw discs over water I did not mind losing but after finding comfort in certain molds I now throw discs I am familiar with. When I was throwing discs I did not mind losing several years ago, many of them ended up in the water and cost me strokes. Now that I throw discs I am familiar with around TL or Hampton Park, I do not lose them as much.

I actually managed to stay pretty dry this year. Well, and the ones I lost were out in a large creek/small river, and they can just stay lost. No plastic is worth climbing over deadfalls in murky water with a strong current.

***** To follow up...Unles it's a freak accident I don't land in water anymore...because I have a few discs that I throw in those situations. When I play a course that I Know water will come into play (ie: Blue Ribbon Pines) I have a couple found/old used discs that I throw..They are still good enough to throw, BUT, if they happen to go for a swim...I don't sweat it. I just grab another 'water disc' and I use it for next time...I am sure i will find another disc before i lose both my water discs
(which are right now: Champion Starfire, Pro Starfire)
--These are kinda beat so they are an all around driver...I actually had an amazing shot with my champ, I threw over a pond/swamp went off to the right...fast, straightened out, became stable and swooped behind some trees, skipped and landed 3 feet from the basket. Blue Ribbon Pines..hole 7. http://www.dgcoursereview.com/view_image.php?id=1022&p=88edca8d

I wouldn't go as far as to call the pond at Stafford Woods a cesspool but you'd never catch me swimming around in there.

I actually managed to stay pretty dry this year. Well, and the ones I lost were out in a large creek/small river, and they can just stay lost. No plastic is worth climbing over deadfalls in murky water with a strong current.

I agree. Also, I have heard people have gotten staph infections from entering the pond at Hampton Park in Charleston.

I take my Golden Retriever with me in the bag, but if that doesn't reach it, and I don't have a friend willing to get wet, then I just donate it to the disc gods.

I agree. Also, I have heard people have gotten staph infections from entering the pond at Hampton Park in Charleston.

We have had positive tests for blue-green algae in the pond at Dillon Park before. Plus dead animal carcasses and other unpleasantries. If my golden retriever can't get it, and I don't organize a club dredging day or something, I'l just go get another. A new disc is usually less than a co-pay.

Latest posts