• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Good air bounce disc?

Wow, super necrobump from 2008.

Is an air bounce worth learning for disc golf? They look really fun to throw but also fairly useless.

I just used one the other day.
I kicked into some brush on the left side. The terrain was sandy and the brush tall and spotty but still thick enough to not have a window.

My options were:
Putter roller- the sand and random twigs discouraged me
flippy fh mid- if i was two feet right of my lie i may have but from where i was, i didnt like the line.
Low hover air bounce- there was a small but clear path under the tree to the basket. The basket also had a few backstop trees which luckily helped me.

Wow, super necrobump from 2008.

Is an air bounce worth learning for disc golf? They look really fun to throw but also fairly useless.

There's a hole here that it might be handy on. Very low close canopy just in front of the tee that opens up into small trees with some low obstacles in the fairway. It's all tight enough that you need good control to make the laser, but an air bounce might actually work. Next time I'm out that way I may play around with that and see if there's room. I can't think of any other situations where it would help much. Maybe we should start designing holes for an air bounce with heavy fade. :|

I think they are very useful for some approach shots. I also think they aren't all that difficult to learn. They're nice because it's a pretty slow moving shot that just sort of dies rather than penetrating forward when it runs out of gas.

Hole 16 at Grandview in Des Moines is a good example of when I use an air bounce:

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/view_image.php?id=66&p=10f66aff

It's hard to tell from the pictures but it slopes downward and near the basket is all hard packed dirt so it's a "fast" green. With a nose down throw you're likely to slide right past the basket, but air bounces land softer so you don't get as much movement when the disc lands.

There's a long range putting video that Discraft put out where Mark Ellis shows some of the advantages of the air bounce:

http://www.discraft.com/vid/html/dg04.html

Back from the dead, yesterday I actually had to use this shot for the first time on course. I've been practicing it on field just for fun and was really happy to see how it works when needed. Nothing big, just an 160' upshot after a bad drive off the tee. Only possible lines were FH roller(some snow on the ground so no way) or an air bounce under some branches 10' in front then slight uphill with finish to the left. Ended up parking it with my Roc.

Mostly using Comets and Rocs when on the field. Comets go straight/right while Rocs fade left after the bounce.

Latest posts