• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] MINT Discs - Freetail

booter

* Ace Member *
hey yall, just figured id drop a bit of info on the latest from MINT discs

the freetail 🦇.
release date TBD

Specifications
Max Weight: 175.1gr
Diameter: 21.1cm
Height: 1.7cm
Rim Depth: 1.2cm
Rim Thickness: 2.0cm
Inside Rim Diameter: 17.1cm
Rim Depth / Diameter Ratio: 5.7%
Rim Configuration: 37.75
Flexibility: 11.25kg

I've had loads of time to work this bad boy on all types of angles and situations on all kinds of courses! like most, feel is everything in whatever you want to put into you bag,im no different. i immediately thought "wraith" of some sort as soon as i held it, this got me hyped since i have thrown wraiths off and on for the last decade and had recently lost a seasoned wraith to a lawnmower (RIP in pieces). as cliche as it may sound, this disc fit perfectly in my hands. the depth is not shallow nor is it too deep like some discs can be, it felt very comfortable in the hand before i even threw it. sporting a moderate dome ,smooth transitioning shoulder and a rim width right in between the alpha and a true distance driver, i was ready to let it fly!

the first day out, i took it to old settlers park in round rock tx (which has since been pulled :( ) it was the only wide open course around here that you could really see what a disc could do any wind. that particular day, the wind was pushing 15-20 gusts so i had a lot of chances to throw it in head, cross or tail wind. zj and guy told me it was understable and i would have to play with power percentages and angles. first throw was flat, in a tail wind and with about 50 % power. it smoothly went flat then drifted right but gave a slight indication that it would fade out if given the height. next throw was on a hyzer, same power, same wind and i watched it pop up to flat, drift right and fade back in the last 20% of the flight. the next throw was on a forced anhyzer, same power with the same wind and held to the ground and held the roller cut and effortlessly cruised down the fairways. seeing how it behaved to my power, the angles and the wind, i instantly was overcome with the thought that this would replace my wraith i had just lost!

now to get some power behind it and really see what i could handle. i then bumped up the power a little more to about 75% or so but knew i needed it to come out on a steep hyzer angle to see if it would work for the shot i was trying to shape (hyzer flip to turnover and hopefully fade back). the hole, slightly uphill and probably 400+ is a tricky one because you have to lay a roller down or go for a big air shot over the small trees if you want a chance at a 2. so i power it on a hyzer , with 75% power and let it pop up, glides right while still penetrating forward out towards the right side of the fairway. i was about pin high to the right but still impressed with the glide and how much this disc worked in a tail wind with not even a full rip. it seemed to be effortless for distance but touchy if you didn't know how to utilize the disc.

the next shot to try, power rollers! i love rolling discs and i had a feeling this baby was going to cruise a mile if i got the angles down right. one thing i struggle with on power rollers is keeping power but also getting the correct angle down so it doesn't burn off right immediately. on a full rip, i threw it flat in hopes it would barrel over into a nice cut and take off. it did exactly what i had hoped and actually held the cut a good big even though it was very understable. the profile of the discs seemed to keep it cut long enough that it would make it worth while to throw a roller for distance. with the free tail being 175g, the only other disc I've thrown, that was that understable out of the box, was a mamba, to which i disliked because it was super shallow for me. next i wanted to lay down a roller with less power and more of an assisted angle to see how it would take. i was still able to get it to roll a good ways ,even with less power on an anhyzer angle to keep it straight. adjusting accordingly i played with angles to see if i could keep it to stay straight and roll left, stay straight, and even go straight and finish right. every angle i tried, it seemed effortless because of how well it responded to the different arm speeds.

now you're probably going to ask, what else can i use it for?:D for someone who doesn't really have the power for a FH from a standstill or if I'm on a pinched angle, this thing works great for a quick pop of the wrist when you don't have the arm movement or power to fully commit to a FH shot. I've been pinched off the fairways many times and have had great outs because of this disc because i can trust it to turn and hold. while it isn't a small rim disc, it is small enough that it can be utilized in many situations. i always carry a wide variety of stabilities in my bag both fast and slow discs, this was a great addition to that arsenal. id almost call it a utility disc as well because of how versatile it is. i will say the one thing it cant do is fight headwind lol but i have plenty of alphas for those shots ;)

there are times when i feel i think its too understable, then i throw it and realize its a workable understability, not a useless stability. early on i was picking what courses i would bag it but then i ultimately kept it in the bag because i was missing opportunities to try it for new shots. like the alpha has given me confidence in distance or fairway shots, this disc has given me confidence in my roller game or when i need something to hold an anhyzer.

over the course of summer i let lots of friends throw this disc, specifically players who had slower arm speed that i knew would benefit from a disc like this. i think this disc is going to be a game changer for lots of players like that because of its speed,glide and how easy it is to throw. i have friends who rely on faster discs for that extra distance and sometimes those discs can still be too stable for them but this seems to fit right where they need it to be. i've watched full flex shots , touch FH shots, rollers and hyzer flips from them all with relative ease once they learned the new disc. i also see this disc as a good learning tool for players that like to strong arm discs or want to tweak their form, its a fantastic learning disc to magnify what issues you may be struggling with in technique.

id say the 10/5/-3/2 flight numbers are pretty spot on for my free tail, some of the testers might be a little more understable but for the most part i think its accurate. i can see any player utilizing this disc for different reasons, the amount of turn should not scare you. embrace the free tail and it will bring happiness to your game

Attachments

• 75264968_10156795795567794_3490997745160814592_o.jpg
    75264968_10156795795567794_3490997745160814592_o.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 108
  • 74908745_10156795796367794_8240891881278406656_o.jpg
    74908745_10156795796367794_8240891881278406656_o.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 109
This may be my entry into Mint discs. So far all the molds are either for a slot I don't use (Bobcat) or slots that are nailed down tight(Envy in the Profit slot, Volt in for Alpha).

Whilst this looks more US than an Inertia, the fact that I can't find a replacement Inertia in firm plastic may lead me to try this.

When they get released, please inform us on what color, weight and blend will have the most firmness.

Good luck!

This may be my entry into Mint discs. So far all the molds are either for a slot I don't use (Bobcat) or slots that are nailed down tight(Envy in the Profit slot, Volt in for Alpha).

Whilst this looks more US than an Inertia, the fact that I can't find a replacement Inertia in firm plastic may lead me to try this.

When they get released, please inform us on what color, weight and blend will have the most firmness.

Good luck!

will do! we only have testers right now so all ive seen are orange and red. theyre not firm nor gummy . the blend is eternal, just a little milky like some of them tend to be. this one is 175 and ive only tested heavies but i think the weights should be around the usual range of 165-175. will post more info accordingly once its closer to release time.

:D a little black friday door buster...

keep an eye on the mint discs fb page for more details. ill try and update here with more info

Attachments

• 78339990_2413940122155906_3669417330951061504_o.jpg
    78339990_2413940122155906_3669417330951061504_o.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 67
fingers crossed! ill keep you updated when i get an exact day and time or follow us on fb.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-12-23 (2) MINT DISCS - Home.jpg
    Screenshot_2019-12-23 (2) MINT DISCS - Home.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 32
Got a Black Friday in Apex and a Christmas stamped Apex as well.

This is a really fun disc to throw! Initially, I tried to throw it like an Alpha with more hyzer, but was getting unintentional rollers. Powered down, it flips up nicely and locks into a straight line with some pretty substantial glide.

For what felt like a 150' putter upshot, I was getting 280' hyzer flips. It takes a little work to get it dialed in, but I can see it being extremely useful for longer tunnel shots where you don't want to commit full power

Hopefully the Eternal and/or Sublime will be slightly more stable

Got a Black Friday in Apex and a Christmas stamped Apex as well.

This is a really fun disc to throw! Initially, I tried to throw it like an Alpha with more hyzer, but was getting unintentional rollers. Powered down, it flips up nicely and locks into a straight line with some pretty substantial glide.

For what felt like a 150' putter upshot, I was getting 280' hyzer flips. It takes a little work to get it dialed in, but I can see it being extremely useful for longer tunnel shots where you don't want to commit full power

Hopefully the Eternal and/or Sublime will be slightly more stable

glad to see you are learning it quickly! it does take time but worth the effort when you learn it. the sublimes are a tick more high speed stable than the eternal and apex. eternal being between apex and sublime. these are not as US as my proto but they are being well received by the slower arms and those who are figuring them out.

glad to see you are learning it quickly! it does take time but worth the effort when you learn it. the sublimes are a tick more high speed stable than the eternal and apex. eternal being between apex and sublime. these are not as US as my proto but they are being well received by the slower arms and those who are figuring them out.
Ordered one of each last night. Looking forward to see how they compare

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk